Drawing the cue ball with CF shaft

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is actually different from other sports, particularly in the way its equipment is made and used.

What specific cue construction differences do you think matter for draw shots?

pj
chgo
Not draw specific, like few people mentioned in this thread and many threads like it, on all types of shots.
Some cues transfer more energy due to whatever construction and material interaction. It really is no big deal and it doesn't negate the importance of skill which comes first.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If it IS true, I have seen no proofs of it. Not even a demonstration by a human, which would probably not be acceptable, but could give some indication of the veracity of such a claim. Could one of you guys who have a carbon cue, try a regular shaft on the same cue and show the results of the comparison on video? Even with the dubious validity of such a test, for a number of reasons, it would still be interesting to see if it could be duplicated by others. Not too much work either.

My opinion is that you can't buy a draw shot. If I'm proven wrong, it would make my life easier, since I'm currently working hard on this aspect of my game, trying to get an extra 2 diamonds on my power draw.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it IS true, I have seen no proofs of it. Not even a demonstration by a human, which would probably not be acceptable, but could give some indication of the veracity of such a claim. Could one of you guys who have a carbon cue, try a regular shaft on the same cue and show the results of the comparison on video? Even with the dubious validity of such a test, for a number of reasons, it would still be interesting to see if it could be duplicated by others. Not too much work either.

My opinion is that you can't buy a draw shot. If I'm proven wrong, it would make my life easier, since I'm currently working hard on this aspect of my game, trying to get an extra 2 diamonds on my power draw.
We did something like that with wooden shafts long time ago. Many people with larger Revo and Mezz Ignite mentioned that ball moved more on all shots, it would be interesting.

skiergd011013

on allison fishers last live video on her youtube channel, she talks about her pechauer rogue cf shaft she has. She said it is the best cf she has used, and she is able to use more spins with it than any wooden shaft, and she trusts it a lot more. she talks about it from 32 mins to 35 mins mark.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you cant defeat physics folks. simple as that.

e=mass times 1/2 velocity squared

so as long as you hit the cueball in the same spot and same speed you are going to get the same draw with either shaft

so why you think you draw better with a cf shaft is this:

1. smaller tips from a thinner shaft generally, so visually you tend to hit lower on the cueball
2. shaft is slicker so you get more speed without holding it looser in your bridge hand due to friction loss
3. if your stick is lighter weight because of the cf shaft, then you may get more acceleration
4.. possibly a harder tip may increase energy that isnt absorbed by a soft tip, this is minimal

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on allison fishers last live video on her youtube channel, she talks about her pechauer rogue cf shaft she has. She said it is the best cf she has used, and she is able to use more spins with it than any wooden shaft, and she trusts it a lot more. she talks about it from 32 mins to 35 mins mark.
Big deal. Spin is determined by tip offset amount, nothing more. You can't spin the cb more with cf. Sounds like she's pimpinn' Pechauer to me.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you cant defeat physics folks. simple as that.

e=mass times 1/2 velocity squared

so as long as you hit the cueball in the same spot and same speed you are going to get the same draw with either shaft

so why you think you draw better with a cf shaft is this:

1. smaller tips from a thinner shaft generally, so visually you tend to hit lower on the cueball
2. shaft is slicker so you get more speed without holding it looser in your bridge hand due to friction loss
3. if your stick is lighter weight because of the cf shaft, then you may get more acceleration
4.. possibly a harder tip may increase energy that isnt absorbed by a soft tip, this is minimal
Add a chapter on properties of materials - you can't defeat physics folks, simple as that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add a chapter on properties of materials - you can't defeat physics folks, simple as that.
CF shaft won't produce any more spin than ash, maple, whatever. Simple as that. Only the amt. of tip-offset determines how much spin you get. CF 'might' give a tiny bit more energy transfer but that has nothing to do with spin.

Rachel T

We have a Revo 11.8 and 12.4. We also have Predator's wood Z-3, 11.8, and Jacoby's wood Ultra, 11.8. Drawing is definitely easier with the Revo's (also with other cf's that I've tried) and I've hit many thousands of draw shots in the past year. It definitely feels like an energy transfer issue. I can definitely place the tip of all the 11.8's on the same part of the cue ball, so I know tip placement isn't an issue, and the tip is the same on all the shafts that we own. Also, the Revo 12.4 is easier to draw the ball for me vs. the 11.8 wooded shafts.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF shaft won't produce any more spin than ash, maple, whatever. Simple as that. Only the amt. of tip-offset determines how much spin you get. CF 'might' give a tiny bit more energy transfer but that has nothing to do with spin.
My position was 10 yeas ago when we had threads like this, and it is still now that energy transfer is also influenced by materials.
We are talking, same speed and offset on power shots and a difference of a diamond or slightly more.

Here is the funny thing even the people that will acknowledge tip hardness may have slight influence on energy transfer refuse to believe that other parts of the cue will have similar influence. This is, no different then lets say a type of rails rubber and influence on ball travel.

BTW. I don't have a CF shaft, and my opinion also stands for wood vs wood.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what predator believes:
Shaft_Performance_Comparaison.jpg

Rusty in Montana

I've not watched Allison Fisher's video but I've also shot with a JP cue and have drawn the cue ball or gotten some great English with the Rogue 12.4 shaft with a jade green tip the original wood shaft hits the cue ball well but I like the Rogue shaft better in this case .
Was it any better or worse than what I can expect from a wood shaft maybe , maybe not .
I feel that if you believe in your self and with practice improvements are possible it's not a simple process it requires effort and work .
I've got a older cue with 13.5 mm shafts and le pro tips with it I can also draw a cue a country mile when needed as well .
A person needs to free their mind and find a happy spot mentally while practicing draw shots or whatever it is they want to improve in their game and it can happen when proper mechanics are in place and used .

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
We have a Revo 11.8 and 12.4. We also have Predator's wood Z-3, 11.8, and Jacoby's wood Ultra, 11.8. Drawing is definitely easier with the Revo's (also with other cf's that I've tried) and I've hit many thousands of draw shots in the past year. It definitely feels like an energy transfer issue. I can definitely place the tip of all the 11.8's on the same part of the cue ball, so I know tip placement isn't an issue, and the tip is the same on all the shafts that we own. Also, the Revo 12.4 is easier to draw the ball for me vs. the 11.8 wooded shafts.
Show us? Maybe make a detailed video? I like both wood and CF. When I got my CF I definitely had to adjust to it, but, I was playing a lot and got used to it quick. I recently went back to wood and really enjoying my Lucasi Hybrid. I like the CF when I am playing a lot and my stroke is consistent. I work on pool tables more than I get to play and I surely need to make more time for play. Traveling a lot less now and I am looking forward to switching back in a few months. Hope somone will post something to substantiate the claim more than words. Then it puts the topic to rest. At this point: I am chalking this up as each to their own opinions.

TFT

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to go by Dr.Daves tests on this. A low-deflection shaft might in some cases provide a bit more spin but the difference is tiny. Still has nothing to do with the material. I've tested about half-a-dozen cf shafts and i can draw the ball just as good with a house cue if it has a good tip.
Well, we going to have to disagree by a diamond or so. :) I and my friends did the same with both CF and wood vs wood. There was always some difference, but some equipment was close enough to each other as not to present a meaningful difference. House cues are actually pretty good at energy transfer. I find that they are great as break cues too.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I draw just fine with my maple shafts.
It's controlling the draw that is the trick.
Two inches, 6 inches, 10 inches, 2 feet for shape.
Show me a CF shaft that will make controlling the cue ball easier using draw and I'm in.
That being said I am a wood shaft guy with simple good old hard pressed Triangle single layer tips.
At the Expo I did test hit a few CF shafts.
I tried the Predator, BeCue, and Whyte shafts.
The Predator felt the best, slickest, of all three.
I also found my english was more difficult to control as the ball just took off with spin.

Rachel T

Show us? Maybe make a detailed video? I like both wood and CF. When I got my CF I definitely had to adjust to it, but, I was playing a lot and got used to it quick. I recently went back to wood and really enjoying my Lucasi Hybrid. I like the CF when I am playing a lot and my stroke is consistent. I work on pool tables more than I get to play and I surely need to make more time for play. Traveling a lot less now and I am looking forward to switching back in a few months. Hope somone will post something to substantiate the claim more than words. Then it puts the topic to rest. At this point: I am chalking this up as each to their own opinions.

TFT
I like both wood and cf as well. I may even switch back to wood due to being able to better see the aim of the shaft in my peripheral vision. My accuracy seems to be the same with both. I also like the feel of the hit better with wood, even though I'm only concerned with performance. However, due to hitting thousands of draw shots on a weekly basis (many hours of day of practice), I know for a fact that cf draws easier for me. I can't speak for others.

I won't be providing a detailed video just to prove something I already know to be a fact for me, but I certainly understand you wanting such.