DRESS CODES - in general

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I took his remarks a Dead Serious, and I think you need do an event, so you get the feeling of a flack attack, appreciate the effort it takes to do something simple like a little local tournament, where all you have to do is make everyone happy.

Yes I was joking but this I am serious about.......

This is the future of the dress code of pool. It combines everything discussed in this thread and will make everyone happy. Jerseys for the sport of pool. Along with dress pants, leather belts and shoes for the business professional.

Just wait til it goes global and catches on.

2014-final-slide-1.jpg

2014-final-slide-2.jpg

52f7a062-66f8-4778-b9af-4793c091eda8.jpg

headers_lasvegas.jpg

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Yessssss I'll take the pan seared salmon, creamed spinach and a bottle of your best red.

The dress code is for the members/clients, not the servers. The linkage to waiters is yours alone. I have never heard anyone else carry on about it like you, or even mention it for that matter.

Dave

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Cleary that the tuxedos, vests, dress shoes, etc. are pretty ridiculous. The "golf attire" is perfect IMO. I don't think you need to be any more dressed up than that to play a sport. Golf is a much more prestigious sport than pool and they don't require people to dress like waiters. A long sleeve dress shirt, tie, and vest all restrict my movement and I couldn't imagine stretching for a long shot in that and being comfortable. A polo is nice and allows for free range of motion.

Dress shoes are not necessary either. You're on your feet alot in pool and dress shoes are just not comfortable for extended periods of walking/ standing. What's off putting about sneakers? They're designed for performance, they give good traction, and allow for much more than just standing in one position.

I think slacks/ khakis, a polo, and some sneakers are fine. I don't think the color matters, so you don't like loud colors, so what? How are loud colors unprofessional? I personally have polos in almost every color you can imagine and paired with the right pants and shoes I look sharp. I think the examples of Ricky Fowler put off a good, professional image, loud colors and all.

So, like I said, I agree with Cleary that dress codes in pool need to be updated to what I see as more appropriate attire. Some may not agree and that's fine, I can agree to disagree.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I agree with Cleary that the tuxedos, vests, dress shoes, etc. are pretty ridiculous. The "golf attire" is perfect IMO. I don't think you need to be any more dressed up than that to play a sport. Golf is a much more prestigious sport than pool and they don't require people to dress like waiters. A long sleeve dress shirt, tie, and vest all restrict my movement and I couldn't imagine stretching for a long shot in that and being comfortable. A polo is nice and allows for free range of motion.

Dress shoes are not necessary either. You're on your feet alot in pool and dress shoes are just not comfortable for extended periods of walking/ standing. What's off putting about sneakers? They're designed for performance, they give good traction, and allow for much more than just standing in one position.

I think slacks/ khakis, a polo, and some sneakers are fine. I don't think the color matters, so you don't like loud colors, so what? How are loud colors unprofessional? I personally have polos in almost every color you can imagine and paired with the right pants and shoes I look sharp. I think the examples of Ricky Fowler put off a good, professional image, loud colors and all.

So, like I said, I agree with Cleary that dress codes in pool need to be updated to what I see as more appropriate attire. Some may not agree and that's fine, I can agree to disagree.

He gets it! Possibly it's a generation thing? The Renfro pointed out a discussion with Thoresten and I've had similar discussion with other top players. They want to consider themselves athletes and appear as athletes to the world and especially the youth of this game.

Some of you think I'm doing this for me... Some think I just like to complain... You clearly have never spent much time around me. I'm level headed, intelligent and positive. I love this game and can see a future if we stop tripping over our own feet. Pool needs a rebrand and modeling ourselves after golfers vs poker/darts/bowling is without a doubt the classiest and most logical step. You don't have to agree.

I'm not trying to change "the rules" I'm trying to change the culture.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

This is the future of the dress code of pool. It combines everything discussed in this thread and will make everyone happy. Jerseys for the sport of pool. Along with dress pants, leather belts and shoes for the business professional.

Just wait til it goes global and catches on.

You seem tired. Have you been sleeping ok? :)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main issue is most pool players don't have a clue as to how to dress like grown ass men and will show up in athletic shorts, tennis shoes, t-shirts, sweat pants, flip flops, backwards hats, fitted hats with straight brims or ptetty much anything you see the hip hop community has brought to our culture.... After 25 NO ONE should still dress like that even if they color coordinate.....

So it comes down to there has to be a dress code... When the tuxedo was the code it was because as a nation grown ass men dressed as such and usually showed up in a suit coat... even the bums had hats and coats becuase you just didn't go out in public otherwise.......

So now that we as a culture dress as 13 year olds maybe dropping from the vest, dress shirt and dress pants model is over due or it needs to be adjusted..... Cleary argues the golf dress code is adequate.... I tend to agree after talking to Thorsten.. He pointed out that we want to appear as athletes if we are to appeal to younger generations.. And he along with many of the new breed of players spends time working out and training and treating pool as a sport......

So what do we do??? I think with pool beomcing international in flavor that tournament wear should be Black pants, Black Belt, ALL Black Leather Shoes( they can be tennis shoes as long as they are leather uppers and all black) and golf Shirts... But not just any golf shirt...... There has to be a set style with allowed graphics and patches.... I won't go any further tonight but I have been doing research and looking at options... Just going to be DCC before I say anything else =)

Chris

Let's also not forget that it's only the straight pool players who are in the vests. I believe that is a nod to the tradition of the game.

In other pool events the code is much closer to golf's, with collared shirts, dress pants, and leather shoes being the standard. There's nothing inherently uncomfortable about leather shoes... unless you're like Cleary who is buying his off the sale rack at Kohl's.

Lou Figueroa
he seems familiar
with Kohl's

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I completely missed the original point from last night.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's also not forget that it's only the straight pool players who are in the vests. I believe that is a nod to the tradition of the game.

In other pool events the code is much closer to golf's, with collared shirts, dress pants, and leather shoes being the standard. There's nothing inherently uncomfortable about leather shoes... unless you're like Cleary who is buying his off the sale rack at Kohl's.

Lou Figueroa
he seems familiar
with Kohl's

Lou, you do realize this is an "all or nothing" thing, right? I mean, the World Tournament of 14.1 is representative of what he's talking about across the board. "All pool players are dressing like waiters -- or that we're advocating that all pool players dress like this -- and we're going in the wrong direction."

And you must not forget that a pool player is a true athlete, with the same amount of blood, sweat, and effort as that put into 18 holes of golf!

-Sean <-- occasionally has to pick up a cue ball "from the rough" -- the carpet.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
There's nothing inherently uncomfortable about leather shoes... unless you're like Cleary who is buying his off the sale rack at Kohl's.

Lou Figueroa
he seems familiar
with Kohl's

Nothing at all! I just finished my morning run. I wore dress shoes today, sooooo comfortable! I should have been doing this the whole time! But I only have cheap shoes so I can only image how much better it gets!

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Nothing at all! I just finished my morning run. I wore dress shoes today, sooooo comfortable! I should have been doing this the whole time! But I only have cheap shoes so I can only image how much better it gets!

Different shoes, different uses.

You don't plow a field with a Maserati, you don't run in dress shoes.

But I have dress shoes that are very comfortable for walking and standing. I only wear them for work and frequently have to wear them when I travel for work, so I have sprinted through airports wearing the things and they were fine. Would I run a marathon in them? No. Would I play a 2 hour pool match in them? Sure.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's also worth pointing out that golf fashion hasn't really changed that much since the 40s.

Impact%20Ben%20Hogan.jpg

Yes, everyone wears logos on everything but where do you think the money for professional golf comes from?

What are you talking about? Here, let me pull a Cleary.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 148

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, you do realize this is an "all or nothing" thing, right? I mean, the World Tournament of 14.1 is representative of what he's talking about across the board. "All pool players are dressing like waiters -- or that we're advocating that all pool players dress like this -- and we're going in the wrong direction."

And you must not forget that a pool player is a true athlete, with the same amount of blood, sweat, and effort as that put into 18 holes of golf!

-Sean <-- occasionally has to pick up a cue ball "from the rough" -- the carpet.

He does like extremes. Golfers are lucky they don't have to fade the barmaid in the low cut top walking in front of their line. Now there's hazard :-o

Lou Figueroa

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

So you're suggesting a fashion mullet? Party on the roof, business down below?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For some reason, I don't see pool players jogging around the table. Not even Lou Butera.

Lou Figueroa

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
What are you talking about? Here, let me pull a Cleary.

Lou Figueroa

I thought cleary had a different point than he does. Going back and reading from the start, my post that you quoted makes no sense.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
For some reason, I don't see pool players jogging around the table. Not even Lou Butera.

Lou Figueroa

Doesn't matter, they're so comfortable I only run in them now. They're perfect for almost every athletic activity.

I'm gonna do a walk to support cancer in a few weeks, gonna wear some dress shoes for sure.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Reminds me of a quote from the movie "walk the line".

Record label guy: "Looks like you're going to a funeral"

Johnny Cash: "maybe I am"