Dress codes

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
This quandary will never be resolved on this or any other Pool Forum.
The old adage : "The Proof is in the Pudding" applies here. Sponsors,
Investors, Players, Venues, Governing Bodies, & Spectators/Cosumers
will ultimately decide what is "Best for Pool" concerning Rules, Codes,
Conduct, Equipment, etc.

I've already made my opinion on a Dress Code for Tournaments and
Exhibitions quite clear, as have many others. Time will tell.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy;4899647[COLOR="Red" said:
]Well the point is simples as I said,[/COLOR] "Suck it up an compete with the REQUIRED DRESS CODE, or expect to not be allowed to Play Pro Pool."\

I'm glad it was you who said that.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
If Professional Pool is a sport, why is it that in the big events the players must wear dress pants and leather shoes?

Maybe for the same reason that ball room dancers wear elegant clothes and dressy shoes, it simply looks better when on stage.

The also wear uniforms in the "game" of baseball.

Maybe pool should have a uniform. If so what should it be?

When I was in Germany playing on the leagues we had to wear slacks, dressy shoes, a collared button down shirt and a vest. I wore some "dressy looking" black tennis shoes instead.

My friend Ilona who was a bit heavy once lost a finals match because the organizers refused to allow here to wear the black flats she had worn all week and forced her to go buy new shoes. Well on Sundays in Germany shops are closed. So her only option was the hotel gift shop which only had heels.

Now you try going from flats to brand new heels to play the finals of a major eventr even if you aren't overweight and see how that works

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Edit:
Pool is not yet a sport, thanks to idiocy and incompetence in the governing bodies and the unprofessional behaviour of all involved. Some of us hope for it to become a sport one day, but that day is far, far away. That being said, even if it was a sport, it is not an athletic sport, thus athletic gear suited for more active sports is not needed.

Reasons for wearing dress pants and black shoes:

1. Black pants and dress shoes look nicer than ragged sneakers and sweatpants.
2. When people dress nicely, it gives the event a professional and respectable look.
3. People who look respectable and professional attract sponsors.
4. Sponsors makes it possible to hold even nicer events in the future.
5. If there is no dresscode who knows what kind of outfits people would wear, I dread even imagining it. Watch "people of Walmart" on youtube. Black pants and dress shoes is a reasonable minimum that most people have at least one pair of in their closet. Would you want people to buy some kind of athetic jersey, shorts or sneakers specifically to play pool, or are you an "anything goes" sort of fellow?
6. Dress pants and black shoes are not uncomfortable to wear, nor do they restrict movement in any way. Is it THAT much of a hassle to press a pair of pants and shine a pair of shoes?
7. Wearing shorts and tank tops playing pool just looks ridiculous. Do you really want to see the 300 pound couch potato of the pool hall in that outfit? You allready have to put up with plumbers cracks, now you want hairy manlegs and armpits too?
8. If people have to put on proper clothes, they may even shower before they come to the pool hall. Less BO to contend with.

If pool is not a sport why is it included in the World Games and recognized by the International Olympic committee as a sport?

That said, who the hell should care about the shoes? When has anyone in the history of pool ever seen anyone's shoes or cared about them? Once in a while you get a glimpse of a player's shoes and I can only remember that only Scott Frost's choice in shoes were commented on because he is careful to match his attire color to his shoes.

As an industry member I am FOR a uniform. And make all players wear them regardless of stature so that I can create a company selling these uniforms. ;-)

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
In my 50+ yrs. of playing in or spectating at Upscale Tournaments,
the Players whom are well-dressed invariably comport themselves
in a more gentlemanly manner than those dressed in Ripped Jeans,
Cut-off Shorts, Gangsta attire, and such.
This is MY observation and mine alone. Everyone is entitled to an
opinion on "attire", be it proper or otherwise.
!00% in agreement - Don't know what is worse - the horrid deportment of many - so called professionals - or their appearance - or both ? Almost impossible to enjoy their skill, precision and talent. Youtube / vid watchers count going down all the time.

Trapper always brings home the pelts. LOL

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never met Cocobolo Cowboy, but I think I would like him.

When I talk with youngsters about pool in the old days, one of the things I explain to them is that it wasn’t so easy to pick out the bums, the hustlers, the beggars, and the criminals because everyone dressed reasonably well. The shoes, however, were often the giveaway.

I have seen a few disagreements over the years about pool games. My favorite was at a major tournament atwhich there were very few rules for dress, but one of them was that you had to wear a shirt that had a collar. I actually saw an argument between the tournament director and a participant over whether the player’s shirt had a collar. It was at this moment that I realized that, when it came to dress codes, it was like arguing about dogs and cats. There are people who like dogs and there are people who like cats. There is no point trying to convince either group of the virtues of the other species. I, however, am all for going back to jackets and ties. My two cats agree with me.

The very first thing I noticed about Willie Mosconi when I saw him play the first time—the very first thing—was the shine on his shoes. The second thing was the quality of his sport coat. The third was his overwhelming air of confidence. The three together were like three slaps in the face.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I’ve never met Cocobolo Cowboy, but I think I would like him.

When I talk with youngsters about pool in the old days, one of the things I explain to them is that it wasn’t so easy to pick out the bums, the hustlers, the beggars, and the criminals because everyone dressed reasonably well. The shoes, however, were often the giveaway.

I have seen a few disagreements over the years about pool games. My favorite was at a major tournament atwhich there were very few rules for dress, but one of them was that you had to wear a shirt that had a collar. I actually saw an argument between the tournament director and a participant over whether the player’s shirt had a collar. It was at this moment that I realized that, when it came to dress codes, it was like arguing about dogs and cats. There are people who like dogs and there are people who like cats. There is no point trying to convince either group of the virtues of the other species. I, however, am all for going back to jackets and ties. My two cats agree with me.

The very first thing I noticed about Willie Mosconi when I saw him play the first time—the very first thing—was the shine on his shoes. The second thing was the quality of his sport coat. The third was his overwhelming air of confidence. The three together were like three slaps in the face.

I have always admired Mark Twain's spin on this.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain