Drop weight

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
In my experience you can reduce weight by up to an ounce depending on the type of pin, by changing to G-10 or aluminum
Drilling the butt doesn't reduce weight by any large amount

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Helium Balloons and strings should work!

Seriously you can get a long .421 drill bit and have at it and then tap it with a 1/2 13 should you want to go back ever.

Drilling out that deep into the cue is not my bag but it is an option. Of coarse anything you do front or back will change your balance point.

You can drill it a little at a time and judge the feel of your new cue incrementally. How do you really know 1 oz is what you want.

Rick

zeeblebrox01

Registered
switch cues

dropping an ounce from a cue can be done by the ways mentioned above (changing the pin, and drilling) but is that seriously what you want to do? you easily could upset the balance of the cue, or the hit by doing either of these things.It would seem to be smarter to have your cue-maker make you another cue with less weight. There's a ton of great cue-makers here that could accomplish that task.

By the way, is this Troy Frank?

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
In my experience you can reduce weight by up to an ounce depending on the type of pin, by changing to G-10 or aluminum
Drilling the butt doesn't reduce weight by any large amount

+1
If it's 3/8-10 the alum/SS difference is about an ounce with the pins I use.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a cue maker but my thought is if you want to keep the balance at least close to the same why not change the pin and drill the butt?

The other thing is if you core drill you can go deep which in my mind will reduce the balance shift.

Caution: If you drill make sure its a core drill and peck drill with compressed air to keep things cool. An Oil Feed core drill would be the naz with compressed air, but hard to find, and expensive. Just a plain old long 1/4" drill can easily walk right out the side. Then you'll need some inlay work done. Seen it.

TR_Frank

Registered
Thanks for the advice

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll probably just buy a 17oz cue (the weight I most enjoy playing with). I bought my current playing cue because I got a great deal on it and enjoyed 19oz at the time. Now I want to go back to 17 and do not want to disrupt the balance point. I'll hang onto this one just incase I decide to go back. Glad I consulted before pulling out the drill.

And no this isn't Troy Frank.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Helium Balloons and strings should work!

Seriously you can get a long .421 drill bit and have at it and then tap it with a 1/2 13 should you want to go back ever.

Drilling out that deep into the cue is not my bag but it is an option. Of coarse anything you do front or back will change your balance point.

You can drill it a little at a time and judge the feel of your new cue incrementally. How do you really know 1 oz is what you want.

Rick

Also you may find that once you start drilliling you may hit a metal pin in the core of the butt. if you dont realize it and it grabs you could blow out the side of the but or destroy the butt completely. If you already took the weight out i would look into maybe changing the coloar if it has a Stainless steel colar or the pin to a lighter pin like others have suggested.