Duprytren's Contracture?

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other players here have a severe case of Dupuytren's contracture, or also know as Vikings disease? I have it in my left bridge hand and it prevents me from flattening out my left hand. I manage to make do with my two left most fingers folded under my hand.

Just curious if anyone else is afflicted with the malady?

Dupuytren's contracture is a flexion contracture of the hand due to a palmar fibromatosis,[2] in which the fingers bend towards the palm and cannot be fully extended (straightened). It is an inherited proliferative connective tissue disorder that involves the hand's palmar fascia.[3] It is named after Baron Guillaume Dupuytren, the surgeon who described an operation to correct the affliction.

Dupuytren's contracture is treated with procedures to help straighten the fingers, but this does not cure the underlying disease. Contractures often return or involve other fingers.

According to one study,[4][5] the ring finger is the finger most commonly affected, followed by the middle and little fingers; the thumb and index finger are only rarely affected. Dupuytren's contracture progresses slowly and is often accompanied by some aching and itching. In patients with this condition, the palmar fascia (palmar aponeurosis) thickens and shortens so that the tendons connected to the fingers cannot move freely. The palmar fascia becomes hyperplastic and contracts.

Rates increases after age 40; at this age, men are affected more often than women. Beyond 80 the gender distribution is about even. In the United Kingdom, about 20% of people over 65 have some form of the disease.[6]

Attachments

• dupuytrens contracture.jpg
    dupuytrens contracture.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Does that finger always stay in that position, or does it open back up, with help...?

I've never been to a doctor for it, but my middle finger on my left hand, will occasionally lock into a similar position, and it will not open back up on it's own. I have to unlock it with my other hand. It happens on the second knuckle from the tip,as well as on the back of my hand. Very strange.
I always assumed it was from playing to much golf.

Found an interesting newsletter(.pdf) on hand therapy.

http://www.handtherapy.com/newsletter/eht_newsletter_january_2007.pdf

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Duprytrens Contracture

Yes, I have it. My Mom and her Father had it. It has developed more severely over the past 10 years. I wear braces to help keep my hands somewhat rigid for daily use. It has deteriorated my ability to play pool. Mostly due to the ring and middle finger being the ones most effected. I call it the Spider Man Hands. Surgery is only temporary, so I have refused it.

It is often confused for Carpal Tunnel, but I usually just explain the differences, which are slight, really. Good Luck with your ongoing journey with this difficult malady. We are not alone, even within the Pool Playing Community.

I used to post a lot, but now can only type with my index fingers.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does that finger always stay in that position, or does it open back up, with help...?

I've never been to a doctor for it, but my middle finger on my left hand, will occasionally lock into a similar position, and it will not open back up on it's own. I have to unlock it with my other hand. It happens on the second knuckle from the tip,as well as on the back of my hand. Very strange.
I always assumed it was from playing to much golf.

Found an interesting newsletter(.pdf) on hand therapy.

http://www.handtherapy.com/newsletter/eht_newsletter_january_2007.pdf

That sounds more like trigger finger....

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any other players here have a severe case of Dupuytren's contracture, or also know as Vikings disease? I have it in my left bridge hand and it prevents me from flattening out my left hand. I manage to make do with my two left most fingers folded under my hand.

Just curious if anyone else is afflicted with the malady?

Dupuytren's contracture is a flexion contracture of the hand due to a palmar fibromatosis,[2] in which the fingers bend towards the palm and cannot be fully extended (straightened). It is an inherited proliferative connective tissue disorder that involves the hand's palmar fascia.[3] It is named after Baron Guillaume Dupuytren, the surgeon who described an operation to correct the affliction.

Dupuytren's contracture is treated with procedures to help straighten the fingers, but this does not cure the underlying disease. Contractures often return or involve other fingers.

According to one study,[4][5] the ring finger is the finger most commonly affected, followed by the middle and little fingers; the thumb and index finger are only rarely affected. Dupuytren's contracture progresses slowly and is often accompanied by some aching and itching. In patients with this condition, the palmar fascia (palmar aponeurosis) thickens and shortens so that the tendons connected to the fingers cannot move freely. The palmar fascia becomes hyperplastic and contracts.

Rates increases after age 40; at this age, men are affected more often than women. Beyond 80 the gender distribution is about even. In the United Kingdom, about 20% of people over 65 have some form of the disease.[6]

I don't have it, but am very familiar with it, I have treated it.

It is also associated with alcoholism and Peyronie's disease.

I have a friend that has it and we occasionally shoot pool together. But his is in his right hand and interferes with his grip, not his bridge.

Have you looked at treatment?

Mooneye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had it in my right hand, middle and ring finger. I had outpatient surgery to correct it and it's fine now for 5
years. I have seen a new procedure that involves no surgery, just an injection of some kind.into the hand.

JC

Coos Cues
I started developing hard lumps in the tendons in my palm running down from my ring fingers when I was in my mid 40s and thought it may be the start of Dup but now at 58 they haven't changed much and my fingers still straighten just fine so I guess that's not it or it's moving real slow.

Another white privilege not mentioned by the SJW's

JC

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Mine is permanent and will not unbend. Even trying to force it straight is extremely painful.

Serious stuff. I've never heard of it till this post. You would think with today's technology, they would have a better fix.

Best of luck to you buddy.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Serious stuff. I've never heard of it till this post. You would think with today's technology, they would have a better fix.

Best of luck to you buddy.

It's more about biology than technology.

There are fixes, but like many things it can recur.