Dust collector monitor

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have found a DIY project to make a dust collection filter monitor. I have always guessed at the decision as to if I can clean my filter or does it need replacing. This video shows how to build a manometer that will tell you when the filter is no longer doing the job properly, you can clean it, and if still not up to snuff according to the manometer, replace it. My filter costs $200 plus so changing on a whim is not cheap. Enjoy the video https://youtu.be/a9l9e8PwgEs
I included a pic of the one I built.
Dave

20171231_195939.jpg

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Nice. Which system do you have?

MM

I have a Delta 50-760 single stage that I made a Thien baffle and added it to a cover from Woodcraft to make it a 2 stage, then changed the bag filter to a canister filter that goes down to .5 microns. It's piped around the shop to 5 stations. That with a air changer/cleaner hanging in the shop keeps the air very clean.
Dave
20160226_204626.jpg

Last edited:

Storrim

Damn, this is awesome. I’m definitely doing this for my Shop Fox as well. Is this reliable? I mean, does this accurately show you the moment when you have to change the filter or is there an error margin you have to take into account? I read somewhere that if the filter is not changed at the right time it might damage the motor or something like that. I think I’ll have to upgrade my system to something else anyway, it’s fairly old now and from the dust collector reviews that I’ve been reading I think I found several good candidates.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Damn, this is awesome. I’m definitely doing this for my Shop Fox as well. Is this reliable? I mean, does this accurately show you the moment when you have to change the filter or is there an error margin you have to take into account?
It is a gauge, but not a super accurate gauge, nor is it meant to be. It works well, especially compared to just trying to guess by the air flow at a station. But, you do have to keep an eye on it as the fluid(colored water) does evaporate, so need to keep topping off as time goes by.
Dave

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That would be a nice thing, and clear up space....but not gonna happen due to outside space constraints and exposure on the front of the property.
Doesn't it have a crank and propeller on top so you can shake the filter and most of the fine dust fall to the bag ?

JC

Coos Cues
Get that thing outside of the shop. Build a small shed and pipe it in.
I did that and it has the added benefit of sucking all the heat out of my shop in the winter!!

But I would rather be chilly than lung diseased. A 3 hp Baleigh with a remote control that works right through the walls.