Dyeing leather stack wrap

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With out revealing any trade secrets, should I dye before or after I install wrap.
I bought a neutral and black color stack wrap. I want to dye the natural color red
I have never done this before and dont want to make a $45 mistake.
If no one has the answer, I'll just guess, give it a try and post results.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a cue maker so that you know that right up front, but I have been doing leather work for the last few years making holsters, belts, and other items. when It comes to leather I would say to dye the leather first otherwise you could be making a big mess and getting it all over the butt of the cue, also if you know the type of leather and that it can be dyed easily then no problem, the best thing is to try a small section first to see how it takes the dye as it might take a few coats to get it to the desired color that you are looking for. Even the type of dye can have strange effects based one how much dye and if it has been thinned out. Some dyes have a great deal of pigment added to it and will have a strange outcome if not careful and would need to be thinned out with denatured alcohol before you actually dye the leather your going to use. Others may have a different answer than what I have given or you might already know some of what I just mentioned good luck with your project. Another point is that when most leather is dyed it has a tendency to dry out and harden so you then need to treat it to soften it back to a comfortable feeling that can be done several different ways.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dye last or dye twice. Dye twice assures the edges get the dye making a more even color..
So dye it first then also put more dye on it after it is installed and sanded. But just applying dye
last does about 90% as good of a job.

Last edited:

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sanded to level and dyed last.
Sounds Good (did not see video)

personally, before applying wrap to cue.
remove all sealer and any finish product that wrap has.
be sure wrap can be stain penetrated 100%.

Place wrap into stain container drowning wrap, return once or twice daily and vigorously shake.
Give it a week or 2.
Remove and stretch wrap to dry and cure properly.

Try weldwood adhesive and follow final step in above quote.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess this really is obvious, but I'll say it anyway.
Experiment on scrap pieces and try different ways of applying the colour stain, some methods can leave streaks...

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess this really is obvious, but I'll say it anyway.
Experiment on scrap pieces and try different ways of applying the colour stain, some methods can leave streaks...

The OP wants to color dye a store bought finished leather stack wrap.

Scraps from the shop will most likely be raw.
Sure, that would end up being perfect, but his piece will be Tan stained and Sealed.

He ain't gonna be a happy camper.