Earl on time clocks and extensions

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything Earl suggests for the game is self serving. If Earl could play alright with a 7 second clock it would be 7 seconds. Earl likes to propose changes to the game he thinks will bring everyone else down to his level so he can win again like in his prime then someone challenges him on it and there is a match and he gets his ass kicked then its on to the next gimmick that will make him the greatest again....

I really don't care what he says at this point.
Maybe so?

But Earl is the greatest American player.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main reason nineball became so popular was that it a ‘fast and loose’ fan viewing friendly game. It seems to have become the opposite of late with the slow play and seemingly endless extensions, I say 25 second shot clocks and 4 extensions per match. Let return the game to what it was supposed to be.
9 Ball was at its peak (commmercially) in the 00s the last time Matchroom had the World Championship - 100k for the winner and no shot clocks. It's on the up again now, with shot clocks. I don't see any clear evidence for either preference but suspect that not many viewers would be lost once in a blue moon when a player creates a bit of tension and has the commentators talking softly while taking 4 minutes to decide on a shot.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oh and lmfao @ the "get beat by a wooohman" line
I think he meant is as an expression. He said "women and children" and also something like "every person on a street corner". In other words, I don't think he was saying women can't be as good as men in pool if they trained for it (like Siming). I think he meant it more like the military expression of don't kill "women and children" because they are weak and non-threatening in the context of war. Whereas if you had a female marine, she would absolutely be threatening because she was trained as a soldier. He meant anyone can win a match playing 9 ball (without training) because it's lucky. (Which I personally strongly disagree with).

That's just my interpretation, don't shoot the messenger:)

Zerksies

There is a fine line between taking your time and being a nit.

It's ok to play on the slower side, but using slow pace as a strategy is unsportsmanlike.

Not to mention it ruins the match for spectators.
I don’t wanna hear that BS, half you people in this place are all sandbagging to get a free trip to Vegas. Or playing with very favorable spots in your favor.

I’m playing a guy straight up gambling who should have probably spotted me a ball or two at the time. Now this guy is a speed demon, who if took 10 seconds for a shot was a long time. On average I’m about 20 seconds per shot. It’s not like I’m sitting there for about 10 minutes. No I’m holding out a full 30 seconds to break his tempo. And I didn’t come up with that strategy I learned it from a pro that said try this to get in his head.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
His take on extensions I agree with. Everyone who plays real fast complains people are slow playing them, 90% of the time that is not true.
He's nuts and fun to listen to. I like hearing from Kim and Reed too. The mouth is as insufferable as he ever was. Glad he's not on this one.
You’re right. It’s more than 90%.

I have played a LOT of pool for 30 years and have mixed it up with a wide range of players from amateur to pro. I have NEVER once heard anyone suggest playing slow deliberately to throw their opponents off their game.

What i have heard are players talking about not feeling pressured to speed up just because their opponent plays faster. But that is all about playing their best, not sharking.

It’s like dumping matches. It does happen, but about 1/1,000th as often as it gets talked about or speculated about on this forum.

The truth is that the quick players who complain about slow players are simply using talk of sharking as an excuse to justify their hostility.

If you believe slow play is bad for pool, fine. If you believe a shot clock will help grow the game, fine. But make your arguments based on reality, not on an entitlement to have everything the way you want it or on a fictitious deliberately slow playing conspiracy.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t wanna hear that BS, half you people in this place are all sandbagging to get a free trip to Vegas. Or playing with very favorable spots in your favor.

I’m playing a guy straight up gambling who should have probably spotted me a ball or two at the time. Now this guy is a speed demon, who if took 10 seconds for a shot was a long time. On average I’m about 20 seconds per shot. It’s not like I’m sitting there for about 10 minutes. No I’m holding out a full 30 seconds to break his tempo. And I didn’t come up with that strategy I learned it from a pro that said try this to get in his head.
Breath, in and out...

So what you just described was totally different than your first post.

In your initial post you said slow play was a strategy, and still I say no...

Now if you ment to say you play at your own pace, I say yes you should...

Zerksies

I have played a LOT of pool for 30 years and have mixed it up with a wide range of players from amateur to pro. I have NEVER once heard anyone suggest playing slow deliberately to throw their opponents off their game.

What i have heard are players talking about not feeling pressured to speed up just because their opponent plays faster. But that is all about playing their best, not sharking.

It’s like dumping matches. It does happen, but about 1/1,000th as often as it gets talked about or speculated about on this forum.

The truth is that the quick players who complain about slow players are simply using talk of sharking as an excuse to justify their hostility.

If you believe slow play is bad for pool, fine. If you believe a shot clock will help grow the game, fine. But make your arguments based on reality, not on an entitlement to have everything the way you want it or on a fictitious deliberately slow playing conspiracy.
I’ve played slow deliberately to break a speed daemons tempo. There’s more to pool then just hitting balls on the table, there is a whole mental aspect as well, I’m just trying to get into their head. They do this in other sports with timeouts or some other manipulation, it’s not cheating it’s strategy. I’m not standing in front of the guys shot, or sharking him. I’m slowing down the pace of the game to my tempo. He plays better going faster. I’m trying to bring him to my speed. Others people have said I’m playing my pace regardless of the other persons speed.

Zerksies

Breath, in and out...

So what you just described was totally different than your first post.

In your initial post you said slow play was a strategy, and still I say no...

Now if you ment to say you play at your own pace, I say yes you should...
Strategy to win the game. They use timeouts in other sports to do the same thing. It’s Sunday and they do this in football all the time.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve played slow deliberately to break a speed daemons tempo. There’s more to pool then just hitting balls on the table, there is a whole mental aspect as well, I’m just trying to get into their head. They do this in other sports with timeouts or some other manipulation, it’s not cheating it’s strategy. I’m not standing in front of the guys shot, or sharking him. I’m slowing down the pace of the game to my tempo. He plays better going faster. I’m trying to bring him to my speed. Others people have said I’m playing my pace regardless of the other persons speed.
If you are not playing at your natural pace, you are being a NIT!

AND ALL THE POOR PLAYERS WAITING FOR THEIR MATCH SUFFER

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strategy to win the game. They use timeouts in other sports to do the same thing. It’s Sunday and they do this in football all the time.
In football it is a team sport and icing people is still a Nit move (not used in Hockey)

In pool other players await your match to play.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Putting "someone on ice", by deliberate slow play is one of the reasons why pool has a such a shitty reputation. How about beating someone purely by your skill and strategy on the table?
When I first started playing American Pool, I once had a highly respected pro spend the entire match wandering off and chatting to people while it was my turn. Being inexperienced, I was politely waiting around each time for him to come back, so I could shoot. After the match, he said "I saw that you were playing well, so I decided to throw you off your game by slowing you down". I immediately lost all respect for that player.
For the record, he beat me 7-2 and I learned a valuable lesson.

TrxR

Putting "someone on ice", by deliberate slow play is one of the reasons why pool has a such a shitty reputation. How about beating someone purely by your skill and strategy on the table?
When I first started playing American Pool, I once had a highly respected pro spend the entire match wandering off and chatting to people while it was my turn. Being inexperienced, I was politely waiting around each time for him to come back, so I could shoot. After the match, he said "I saw that you were playing well, so I decided to throw you off your game by slowing you down". I immediately lost all respect for that player.
For the record, he beat me 7-2 and I learned a valuable lesson.
Wondering around and chatting is a completely different thing than taking your time shooting.

As for myself I don't mind if someone takes their time. I play my own pace no matter who I'm playing. I do find that if I'm having a good night and shooting well I seem to play faster and it tends to bite me at some point.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering around and chatting is a completely different thing than taking your time shooting.

As for myself I don't mind if someone takes their time. I play my own pace no matter who I'm playing. I do find that if I'm having a good night and shooting well I seem to play faster and it tends to bite me at some point.
I am totally fine with people taking their time, if that is their pace.
Some posters on here and many pool players have a win at all costs mentality. "I play slowly to break a speed demons tempo". I see that as someone who is not equipped to beat someone by skill and has to resort to other tactics. I feel sorry for people like that.

L.S. Dennis

Still say 25 second time clock on all shots and 4 extensions per match! Like Grady used to say if a player can’t figure out what to shoot in (fill in the blank) that player has no business at the table.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I tend to adopt the spd of the player I'm matching up against. They go slow, I go slow. They pick up the pace or simply play quicker, so do I...

Some opt to let the spd of their opponent phase them. I prefer to beat them at their own game.

Played in a tourney a while back and during one set of 8 ball the average shot time was hovering around the 1min mark. That's incredibly slow but that was the pace of play and rather than let it effect me I simply let my opponent enjoy what he was suffering everyone else through. Very next set was against a guy that liked to shoot around <30sec pace. I matched his rate and it was the quickest kill of the day.

Much ado about nothing imo.

Regarding shot clocks and extensions... I think 30s is fine, and a cap for a set would be awesome

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Last night I watched Earl being interviewed by Kim Davenport and Reed Pierce which has recently gone up on the probilliardstour.com website. Along with the anticipated questions like °what are the differences of the game today, and who were the better player then or now?” Earl was asked about the slow play of nineball today (as was mentioned many times on this forum during the last US OPEN) he opined that there should be a 20 second shot clock with no more that 3 or 4 extensions PER MATCH much the same as foot ball with times outs per game. I for one agree, maybe not with the 20 second clock because not everyone can play at Earl’s speed I‘d allow for a 25 second clock as is done in Asia. But the part about extensions I absolutely agree with, This would force players to use their extensions wisely during the match. He also mentioned that the size of the balls has changed over the years, this I’ve never heard of, maybe Bob could chime in on this one’

Pool is going trending to less and less on the time clock. Earl isn't far off in my opinion.

chasrwest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

agreed. changing the game pace to suit you instead of your opponent is used in basketball, hockey, and other sports as a legitimate strategy. There is no reason not to try to gain an advantage if you do so legally.