Earl Strickland & Johnny Archer pool-school review

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
mullyman said:
I hope you got something out of it that will improve your game.

Again, if you read my post, you would KNOW that I did get quite a bit out of this. Isn't literacy a bliss..?

-- peer

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
Peer,

You may well have been perfectly polite and respectful with Earl.

But there's no denying that the way you worded your original post implies you were a bit argumentative with Earl, and undermined his authority of being the teacher.

If this is not the case then once again, apologies, but you cant complain with people thinking this because of the way you worded your original post.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Well, you've obviosuly got your feelings hurt and feel the need to insult me because I spoke against you. The "I hope you got something out of it" line was a general statement and wasn't intended to be taken as a slice at you.
MULLY

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
worriedbeef said:
Peer,

You may well have been perfectly polite and respectful with Earl.

But there's no denying that the way you worded your original post implies you were a bit argumentative with Earl, and undermined his authority of being the teacher.

If this is not the case then once again, apologies, but you cant complain with people thinking this because of the way you worded your original post.

Exactly my point. I wasn't trying to insult peer with my post.
MULLY

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
worriedbeef said:

Apologies accepted. If Earl himself (or anyone at the event) would've complained about my questions, it would certainly have had some weight. But all this phony fabrication of how badly I treated Earl is just silly. And no, Mully, my "feelings" aren't hurt. Again, you are silly.

Love, peace, and understanding,

-- peer

av84fun

Banned
Peer said:
Apologies accepted. If Earl himself (or anyone at the event) would've complained about my questions, it would certainly have had some weight. But all this phony fabrication of how badly I treated Earl is just silly. And no, Mully, my "feelings" aren't hurt. Again, you are silly.

Love, peace, and understanding,

-- peer

All right...enough is enough. To quote all the disrespectful things you posted about Earl would require copying nearly your entire original post but I will spare us much of it.

What is CLEAR is that, as a Brit, you have a jones for Earl...probably for the way he got into it with Peach. If you think...as you seem to...that you are a clever enough author to bury your rather scathing comments about him in some sort of clever prose you are badly mistaken.

This is what you wrote, in part...so you own it.

Not long after, Mr. Larger Than Life -- Earl Strickland -- walks in, just like a rockstar. Right away he attracts all attention from everyone inside the poolhall. Earl didn't wait long before unpacking his funky cue (sporting tennis racket wrap), taping his fingers and starting to warmup/perform on the front table. Unfortunately it didn't take long until someone made fun of him miscuing, and Earl blew up: "I did not fly across the country just to get heckled." Great, just ****ing great -- even before the class had started, someone had to set Earl off in a tirade.

"Walks in like a rock star"..."funky cue with tennis racket wrap"...suggesting that he "blew up" and went into a "tirade." Didn't sound like a "tirade" to me.

I rhetorically asked Earl why he hates us Europeans.

An obvious reference to the Peach incident and no matter HOW it was asked...with feigned humor or not...it wasn't FUNNY.

And taking your snooker "tooth pick" to a POOL lesson was a very thinly disguised act of rebellion that you proudly announced you had a habit of in school. You seem to fancy yourself some sort of Cool Hand Luke but I suspect that you are not.

At one point Earl set up a very tight cut shot, carefully marked with chalk. The purpose was to show that the only way to pocket a cut shot like this was to apply outside english. After trying to make the shot, over and over again, Earl concluded that he must have set it up too tight. Well, I started to argue that it would perhaps be easier (and more precise) to use no english but just focus on hitting it as thin as possible and hard. My fellow student Garrick agreed. But when Earl insisted that there was no way to make this shot without outside english, to his dismay I stepped up and made the shot, with no english at all (and with my gnarly European snooker cue I may add). Earl wasn't too happy.

So, there you are...an admitted banger...and you wish us to believe that you were showing that old, broken down war horse (in YOUR opinion) a thing or two about the game of pool, was just LUDICROUS.

Personally, I doubt very seriously that it happened the way you wrote it but if it did, you should be ashamed of yourself.

This led to a discussion on what would be the safest way to pocket a long cut shot when no position play was required. I would think a natural roll (e.g. center follow) would be the best shot. Earl emphatically disagreed, telling us that we should always put outside english with some draw on all long cut shots. Just as for the previous thin cut shot that he missed, I again argued that the more english you apply to a shot, the more factors are introduced that you somehow have to contend with.

Again, you assert that Earl doesn't know what he's talking about but YOU DO!....Yeah, right.

In addition, I doubt very seriously that Earl ever stated that ALL long cut shots ought to be attempted with outside english and draw.

All in all, you cannot possibly escape the fact that your post was insulting to Earl and that it was INTENDED to be.

Finally...what do you mean by "bovine excrement?"

Do you mean bull shit? If so, you should have written "male bovine excrement" because not all bovine's are bulls. In fact, not all bovines are even cattle at all but can be oxen or buffalo.

Regards,
Jim

PS: Peach had it coming.

(-:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peer said:
Again, if you read my post, you would KNOW that I did get quite a bit out of this. Isn't literacy a bliss..?

-- peer

I am sure many members wish they did not respond to this thread you initiated.

There is a difference between a typo and a blatant error. In my response to you about "all-in-all," which was in jest by the way, I was trying to politely let you know that these words are not hyphenated in that context. I see this mistake all the time with newbie typists. Recently, I learned something new about the word "comaradarie," which I had been typing mistakenly as comradery for years.

There is no comaradarie on this forum when you respond flippantly to well-meaning posters.

Don't bother to reply to this post. I'm done with you and this sad thread. The majority of responders to this thread are probably wishing they did not post either. :(

JAM

Last edited:

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
Confessions...

av84fun said:
All right...enough is enough.

Jim, you are so right -- I'm a fraud. Therefore I take everything back. The truth, as you so eloquently pointed out, is that I hate Earl and hence treated him like shit, from start to finish. I even hate the car he drives. And don't get me started on that silly Archer guy. If I so much see his dog, I gonna kick the crap out of that sucker.

Are you happy now...?

-- peer (who believes smilies are for wussies)

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The amusing thing about forum arguments is the copy and paste feature and the way it can be dissected. Real life verbal arguments can't be exploited like this.

People who are full of it and try to deny what they've already said must get a lot more frustrated on a forum when in real life they have gotten away with playing dumb for so long.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peer said:
At one point Earl set up a very tight cut shot, carefully marked with chalk. The purpose was to show that the only way to pocket a cut shot like this was to apply outside english. After trying to make the shot, over and over again, Earl concluded that he must have set it up too tight. Well, I started to argue that it would perhaps be easier (and more precise) to use no english but just focus on hitting it as thin as possible and hard. My fellow student Garrick agreed. But when Earl insisted that there was no way to make this shot without outside english, to his dismay I stepped up and made the shot, with no english at all (and with my gnarly European snooker cue I may add). Earl wasn't too happy.

-- peer

Peer, can you please diagram the shot that Earl said can only be made with outside english? Thanks

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
Peer, can you please diagram the shot that Earl said can only be made with outside english? Thanks

Well, I'm not sure which one you are thinking of. The shot that I set up for Earl, that I phrased to him as "if it was for your life to pocket this ball, and no position play was requited, what english, if any, would you use?"

He opted for a draw outside english, and easily made the shot:

http://cuetable.com/P/?@4IDVe2PEec4..." frameborder="no" width="660" height="430" >

The other one, that Earl set up himself, was a very tight cut, which he used heavy english on, but never managed to make, even after quite a few tries. This was the one I made right away with no english but cut it in hard & thin:

http://cuetable.com/P/?@4HFSC3POiw4..." frameborder="no" width="660" height="430" >

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garrick Sketch.....from Pool School

96340874.jpg

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
IMHO this thread has gone to Doo Doo, and that is too bad as it seems to me that those who attended all seem to be happy with what they got for their School Fee..
fragged.gif

av84fun

Banned
Peer said:
Jim, you are so right -- I'm a fraud. Therefore I take everything back. The truth, as you so eloquently pointed out, is that I hate Earl and hence treated him like shit, from start to finish. I even hate the car he drives. And don't get me started on that silly Archer guy. If I so much see his dog, I gonna kick the crap out of that sucker.

Are you happy now...?

-- peer (who believes smilies are for wussies)

By the way...is that you in your avatar? What happened to the guy's eyebrows? Looks like he was attacked with a weed whacker!

(-:

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
av84fun said:
By the way...is that you in your avatar? What happened to the guy's eyebrows? Looks like he was attacked with a weed whacker!

You are so very kind.

(yea, now also I realize that this thread has gone doo doo ;^)

-- peer

av84fun

Banned
Peer said:
You are so very kind.

(yea, now also I realize that this thread has gone doo doo ;^)

-- peer

Well...you sent me rep to "tease you" as you put it...so I'm just teasing you back.

And is that "doo doo" from a bovine quadraped or is it just any old run of the mill doo doo?

Again...just teasing....no biggie.

(-:

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So did they send you off with anything on paper that you could refer to later? Drills? Practice tips?

As a teacher by profession, I find students will forget most of what they are taught pretty quickly without something to help refresh their memory.

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
Bigdogbret said:
So did they send you off with anything on paper that you could refer to later? Drills? Practice tips?

As a teacher by profession, I find students will forget most of what they are taught pretty quickly without something to help refresh their memory.

No. As I said earlier, this class wasn't a traditional/typical pool-class, but more like an interactive hands-on informal "show-you-some-stuff" type of class.

-- peer