Easy way to pocket straight in shots!

Jimmy Reid

US Open 9 Ball Champion
Tip of the wek; By Jimmy Reid, best rotation money player on any size table 1969 - 1994.
Winner of over 40 World Open Tournaments covering 5 decades, from 1964 to 2005.

One of the toughest shots in pool for most players is the dead straight in shot, there's no room for error here and should be hit firm to very firm to assure accuracy.

Address the ball as I teach in my DVDs the same every shot for the rest of your life. Why? on easy shots you ask.

Have you ever had a real togh shot for your or any one's ability, a shot that you weren't confident in?

After addressing it and attacking it as I teach. followed by the sweeping down on the cueball and its path like an eagle on a rabbit and this shot tough as it was started to look good to you.

Congratulations this means you addressed the shot correctly.

When you shot - sure enough the ball went in and you were momentarily tied with any great player in the world on that shot.

Have you ever had a very easy shot and didn't address it or sweep down on it because friends and members of the opposite sex were watching.

So you took this easy shot for granted because it was so easy you thought there was no way to miss it.

Most likely you missed or came very close to missing this easy shot.

Although it never felt as good to you as the tough shot you'd made did the pocket was wider and closer so you thought you could skip the drill that works for tough shots and of course the shot never felt quite right to you and as easy as they are and as forgiving as the pocket is.

So you felt you could skip that preshot routine, didn't give it your all and probably missed.

Never skip addressing and attacking the ball no matter how easy the shot is and maybe you can go for 30 years without missing an easy shot.

You're preshot routine is forced until you can't play wiythout doing it.

Like Tiger on the greens take nothing as a tap in.

Today's tip for straight in shots. Grab the shaft and the butt very tightly.

I'm assuming youi're hitting some form of center cueball, high, low or draw.

The tight grip and bridge will prevent your stick from straying away from center on both balls.

After a little practice you'll be able to fire these balls in with 100% confidence.

Grip is very strong, bridge is very tight and these straight ins will become one of your best shots, again you may go a long long time without missing one.

Now go to jimmy reid pro pool dot com and buy my 10 hours of DVD instructionals. The price is only $39.95 Priority S&H included, I go to Stanford Univ. on the 21 of this month for possible surgery.

After that the price is going back to $100.00, so get those presents early and spoil yourself or that special someone that you have pool in common with.

It's been 12 years since I had a dissatisfied customer, so I refunded him his money.
Since it was one of my old videos, when I checked it, he had taped Batman over part of it, takes all kinds.

By the way I heard Lowry Bros. Entertainment is no longer, wonder what alias dummy corporation they're using now for their internet piracy. Thay'll get theirs. If you know how to reach them please call me @ 772 - 370 - 0311.

Thank you, God Bless and keep you and yours all safe and sound.

Please recommend these DVDs to your friends, they'll thank you for giving them a lifetime of knowledge.

We're all God's children and family, your brother, Jimmy Reid

Last edited:

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
there's no room for error here and should be hit firm to very firm to assure accuracy.

But firm to very firm would make the pocket smaller. I would think a softer stroke would be more conducive to pocketing a straight in shot, or any shot for that matter. Most people's stroke is less accurate the harder they hit the ball as well.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But firm to very firm would make the pocket smaller. I would think a softer stroke would be more conducive to pocketing a straight in shot, or any shot for that matter. Most people's stroke is less accurate the harder they hit the ball as well.

Big difference in firm and Hard. Jimmy knows what he's talking about. How many times do you see a top player slow roll a straight in money ball?

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Big difference in firm and Hard. Jimmy knows what he's talking about. How many times do you see a top player slow roll a straight in money ball?

I never said "hard". I said "the harder they hit the ball", which is a relative term.

And I didn't say anything about slow rolling a ball in either.

I'm saying that a "very firm" hit causes the pocket to play smaller.

I see most pros shoot straight in shots at about 5 mph which is fairly slow and not anywhere close to what I believe to be firm or very firm.

Banikane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy, Please redo your videos, love the info but they are a little dated. If you worked with Jennifer Barretta between her butt and your brain and some new graphics it would be the best pool dvd for the next 500 yrs.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
One of the toughest shots in pool for most players is the dead straight in shot, there's no room for error here and should be hit firm to very firm to assure accuracy.
The straight-in shot is the easiest shot of any, on any table, under any conditions. There is in fact more room for error on a straight-in shot than on any other shot, and you should be able to knock it in with your cap. You don't even have an angle to misjudge. If you can't pot a straight in shot then your problem isn't with straight-in shots. Your problem is you can't hit the ball straight. It's that simple

Boro Nut

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The straight-in shot is the easiest shot of any, on any table, under any conditions. There is in fact more room for error on a straight-in shot than on any other shot, and you should be able to knock it in with your cap. You don't even have an angle to misjudge. If you can't pot a straight in shot then your problem isn't with straight-in shots. Your problem is you can't hit the ball straight. It's that simple

Boro Nut

??

There is very little room for error on straight-ins.
If there is the tiniest flaw in your stroke delivery, this shot will expose that.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
??

There is very little room for error on straight-ins.
If there is the tiniest flaw in your stroke delivery, this shot will expose that.
That doesn't change the fact there is increasingly less margin of error the further from centre you get. If there is any margin of error to be had then it's to be had at centre ball on a straight in shot. It approaches zero toward the edge of the ball on a 90 degree cut. It's not pool, its geometry. You can't change the laws of physics by picking up a cue.

Your point that the flaws in your stroke will be exposed on straight-ins is my point. You can't rebut me by making my point for me. You miss straight in shots not because the flaws in your stroke are magnified but because they are exposed. The only shot to use to show you what you are doing wrong is a straight in shot. You can't discover your flaws on cut shots because you could be masking one error by making another.

Boro Nut

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Boro Nut

It is a funny thing, you will see a guy cut a ball backwards with no hesitation, then stare at a long straight in shot and you can actually panic come across his face. There is a natural fear that many share for some reason.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Boro Nut

I agree 100% ; Reason(s) for missing straight shot is one or all the following:

1. Player thinks it is 100% straight, but in fact a bit off, one has to bend down to confirm if it is 100% straight or not.
2. Player go down wrong, dose not really warm up and aim at exact aim
3. Stance, hence stroke is bad on the back swing, causes cb to squirt
4. Cue elevated
5. Paused too long, hand muscles reset.
6. Warm up strokes too short
7. Tip too far from CB at the trigger is pulled
8. Tip is dime shape or more, Flat or close is better for straight shots
9. Tip too small- 14 mm is best for straight shots

Hard, tight, firm, loose, has nothing to do with ball pocketing, it does effect CB speed constancy.

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it's the easiest shot in pool. That's just simple common sense. It's just the hardest to make excuses for.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Really, watch some matches of Earl, and SVB, and others, they have the 9 ball 2 diamonds out from corner pocket and the cb is only 2 diamonds away, and it's an easy cut shot.

Yet, their cb hits two rails after the shot... because they don't baby those shots, and obviously know where the cb is going to end up.... I always wondered why they hit those firm, but they want their best stroke on the ball, and most folks, with good mechanics, have a nice firm stroke.

I never see Earl hit anything soft unless he absolutely has to... even in warm ups, he likes to fire stuff in to get his stroke warmed up.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That doesn't change the fact there is increasingly less margin of error the further from centre you get. If there is any margin of error to be had then it's to be had at centre ball on a straight in shot. It approaches zero toward the edge of the ball on a 90 degree cut. It's not pool, its geometry. You can't change the laws of physics by picking up a cue.

Your point that the flaws in your stroke will be exposed on straight-ins is my point. You can't rebut me by making my point for me. You miss straight in shots not because the flaws in your stroke are magnified but because they are exposed. The only shot to use to show you what you are doing wrong is a straight in shot. You can't discover your flaws on cut shots because you could be masking one error by making another.

Boro Nut

Absolutely correct.

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a funny thing, you will see a guy cut a ball backwards with no hesitation, then stare at a long straight in shot and you can actually panic come across his face. There is a natural fear that many share for some reason.

When left with a straight in shot, I like to say to my opponent "thanks, now if I miss everyone will know why!"

But yes, the margin of error is the GREATEST when hitting straight in, and narrows as you increase cut angle. Dr. Dave has a graph somewhere.