eBay Rant

Ok, just got my pool table set up and now I have to build up a collection of interesting cue sticks so I am off to eBay and put some bids on some nice, unique, vintage, or custom cue sticks that caught my eye. Want a nice selection for my guests that are not dedicated pool players, something that will excite them to the world of pool.

First item is a custom cue that was a one piece brunswick house cue that a cuemaker put a uniloc joint in and refinished. Looks good to me with a shaft diameter of 12.5 mm (close to what I like) along with a non descript case and does not identify the tip. Ok, I am the first bidder and the bidding starts at $30.00. I put a respectable bid out there ($90.00) and head out to dinner, not too concerned if I get out bid because I have what I see as a fair and honest top bid of what it is worth to me. Couple of bidders test the water and when I check a couple hours later, I find out that won the cue with a high bid of $45.00! Wooo Hooo! Pay the cost plus shipping and go to bed happy that I got a nice house cue that may be nice enough to displace my McDermott which is my favorite although it has a 13mm tip.

this morning I get up and there is a message in my ebay account that the seller cancelled the sale, stating that the cue is worth $150 to $200 and the case is another 50 bucks, and that he would entertain respectable offers.

Second item is a one piece "custom Chinese cue stick with a Kumui soft cue tip" and the pictures show a unique custom cue with a very interesting layered ply pattern, similar to some of the cues that are coming from Ukraine and the Former Soviet Union. Seller discloses that it is a Ash cue although I am unable to identify any of the woods used in construction, maybe walnut on the dark woods and it looks like locust on the light wood but I really do not know, it is a unique cue, cue diameter of 12 mm (which is my favorite) and starting bid price is $30.00. I wait until the last ten seconds and bid what it is worth to me, $100.00 (free shipping). I win that auction again and continue to check out and not knowing the outcome of the first cue, go to bed thinking that I have two unique and nice cues to offer my guests for when they visit. Next morning I get a message from this seller stating that he contacted ebay to cancel the sale, stating that it was stolen from him last night and anyways, the cue is worth more then $150.00 anyways, he made a mistake in the original listing.

Now I am steamed! I have sold on eBay and as a seller, you get to set the starting bid price, the reserve price, and a buy it now price and it is the sellers responsibility to post a accurate listing of his item for sale. They even have a review page to make sure your information is correct.

To me, for a seller to cancel a sale after a successful auction where they get to list the starting price is simply fraud, plain and simple. I am not too worried about the cue sticks, I am patient, there will be others that come down the road but what gives with these people? I have complained to eBay about these two sellers and they both have a moderate amount of selling on ebay with a satisfaction rating in the high 90's, but to me this is simply dishonesty on the sellers part.

Any other recourse that I have?

Regards,
Crankster

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the big problems is that e bay decided to charge way too much to the seller for the right to have a RESERVE price on their auctions. To me, that was the safety valve that sellers deserve to have to protect their product's value in an auction setting.

E bay decided that way too many auctions ended in no sale due to reserve pricing, so they then decided to eliminate most reserve auctions by charging the seller way too much to list with a reserve price.

Now you experience exactly what happens as a result, folks "protect" their expected sale price minimums by just making some excuse why the product is not available after the auction ends BC they did not get a desired minimum price.

Selling pool cues on ebay, especially more expensive cues, via the auction route has become way too expensive and way too risky for the seller; and, as you now see, way too frustrating for the buyers.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also watch your bank card for the next couple months. This happened to me and it’s a total scam to get your cc info once you pay they cancel and refund your money. But they keep your card info

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Reactions: Pin

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
One of the big problems is that e bay decided to charge way too much to the seller for the right to have a RESERVE price on their auctions. To me, that was the safety valve that sellers deserve to have to protect their product's value in an auction setting.

E bay decided that way too many auctions ended in no sale due to reserve pricing, so they then decided to eliminate most reserve auctions by charging the seller way too much to list with a reserve price.

Now you experience exactly what happens as a result, folks "protect" their expected sale price minimums by just making some excuse why the product is not available after the auction ends BC they did not get a desired minimum price.

Selling pool cues on ebay, especially more expensive cues, via the auction route has become way too expensive and way too risky for the seller; and, as you now see, way too frustrating for the buyers.
This is the exact reason why you are having the issues at hand. Ebay shouldn't let the sellers back out though like the OP stated. When I've sold and came across the issue of not setting a reserve because of the crazy price it is to set a reserve, I've either started the bidding at my lowest price I'd take or just change the listing from bidding to a BIN w/best offer. I don't think it's ok for ebay to continually let sellers just cancel like that.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
High 90s feedback score?
I won't look twice at any seller with a rating lower than 99.5 and really don't like treading below 99.7.

Don't hesitate to contact the seller with questions about omissions in the description. If they do not reply that should tell you all you need to know.
And don't schedule your time to snipe at the close. There are automatic sniping services (many are free) that can do it at any time you desire. 3 seconds is safe limit that works for me.

Ebay can be a great place to buy and sell, but there is a bit of a learning curve.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the exact reason why you are having the issues at hand. Ebay shouldn't let the sellers back out though like the OP stated. When I've sold and came across the issue of not setting a reserve because of the crazy price it is to set a reserve, I've either started the bidding at my lowest price I'd take or just change the listing from bidding to a BIN w/best offer. I don't think it's ok for ebay to continually let sellers just cancel like that.
Initially the basic concept with e bay was auction selling- they begged out of reserve pricing by setting it out as a premium service - they cut out sellers looking to get fair value in auctions and let the seller sacrifice pricing while e bay makes $$.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have bought and sold thousands of things from $1 to $5,000+ on ebay and have never had that happen. I've had buyers flake out and cancel a few times but been lucky (or good?) with everything else.

I went thru the same process stocking my home room with guest cues but stuck to either cheap advertising cues or closeouts from the bigger sellers. Ebay isn't the online swap meet it was in the early days but I am still a pretty heavy user.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Two words, negative feedback. You have them by the short hairs in case you don't understand this. If anyone has less than 99.5% positive feedback, it's a huge red flag, don't buy from them. If a seller has say 75% and only 4 sales... it might be a "bad buyer" who effected them, but any store with a lot of sales better have a sterling reputation if they want me to purchase from them.

Also, use auction sniper, it's a fools game to put your max bid in so others can chip it away. I think you get 5 free auctions, but they cost like a quarter for them to "snipe" on your behalf. You'll save so much more by not letting someone chip away to your high bid, and you don't have to worry about it. I've been using auction sniper since the late 90s and there's never been an issue. Good and trustworthy company. If I'm not using Buy It Now, I auction sniper 100%.

mrpiper

Registered
Totally agree with leave negative feedback. Also go to the help / resolution center and pitch a fit. They are actually pretty tough on sellers who do this. That said, I hate Ebay. I quit selling completely because of idiot buyers and NO help from ebay for sellers. I still occasionally buy but only an item I just can't find elsewhere or where there is an incredible deal. Good luck

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Ok, just got my pool table set up and now I have to build up a collection of interesting cue sticks so I am off to eBay and put some bids on some nice, unique, vintage, or custom cue sticks that caught my eye. Want a nice selection for my guests that are not dedicated pool players, something that will excite them to the world of pool.

First item is a custom cue that was a one piece brunswick house cue that a cuemaker put a uniloc joint in and refinished. Looks good to me with a shaft diameter of 12.5 mm (close to what I like) along with a non descript case and does not identify the tip. Ok, I am the first bidder and the bidding starts at $30.00. I put a respectable bid out there ($90.00) and head out to dinner, not too concerned if I get out bid because I have what I see as a fair and honest top bid of what it is worth to me. Couple of bidders test the water and when I check a couple hours later, I find out that won the cue with a high bid of $45.00! Wooo Hooo! Pay the cost plus shipping and go to bed happy that I got a nice house cue that may be nice enough to displace my McDermott which is my favorite although it has a 13mm tip.

this morning I get up and there is a message in my ebay account that the seller cancelled the sale, stating that the cue is worth $150 to $200 and the case is another 50 bucks, and that he would entertain respectable offers.

Second item is a one piece "custom Chinese cue stick with a Kumui soft cue tip" and the pictures show a unique custom cue with a very interesting layered ply pattern, similar to some of the cues that are coming from Ukraine and the Former Soviet Union. Seller discloses that it is a Ash cue although I am unable to identify any of the woods used in construction, maybe walnut on the dark woods and it looks like locust on the light wood but I really do not know, it is a unique cue, cue diameter of 12 mm (which is my favorite) and starting bid price is $30.00. I wait until the last ten seconds and bid what it is worth to me, $100.00 (free shipping). I win that auction again and continue to check out and not knowing the outcome of the first cue, go to bed thinking that I have two unique and nice cues to offer my guests for when they visit. Next morning I get a message from this seller stating that he contacted ebay to cancel the sale, stating that it was stolen from him last night and anyways, the cue is worth more then $150.00 anyways, he made a mistake in the original listing.

Now I am steamed! I have sold on eBay and as a seller, you get to set the starting bid price, the reserve price, and a buy it now price and it is the sellers responsibility to post a accurate listing of his item for sale. They even have a review page to make sure your information is correct.

To me, for a seller to cancel a sale after a successful auction where they get to list the starting price is simply fraud, plain and simple. I am not too worried about the cue sticks, I am patient, there will be others that come down the road but what gives with these people? I have complained to eBay about these two sellers and they both have a moderate amount of selling on ebay with a satisfaction rating in the high 90's, but to me this is simply dishonesty on the sellers part.

Any other recourse that I have?

Regards,
Crankster
Leave negative feedback on them for being dishonest

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will rarely if ever use ebay again. First of all it's full of scammers and second you never know what you are going to get. Instead of an IPhone you may get a cheap Chinese knock off or better yet, an empty box!

I've sold things and the buyer then backs out of the deal and tries to negotiate a lower price after the auction has ended. Ebay does little to remedy such situations.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never use or belong to or browse eBay. Needed to sell a long Nikon lens and a co-worker offered to handle it for me. Found out he has a thousand or so Morgan Silver Dollars and does transactions for those. Lens sold the first day for asking.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Any other recourse that I have? ...
Don't buy on Ebay. If how a cue plays makes a difference to you, don't buy it until after you have shot with it. Go to the tournaments or trade shows that have cue sellers. Some billiard supply stores allow you to test before buying. If you just want a good looking cue without regard to how it plays, go to one of the standard suppliers. Seybert's is the official partner of AZB (https://www.seyberts.com/pool-cues) but there are lots of other good sites to shop on. McDermott has direct sales.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those may well be counterfeit Morgan dollars, made in China. Only an expert can tell them from the real thing. I've got a couple dozen of them. They are worth a dollar each and that's it.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I will rarely if ever use ebay again. First of all it's full of scammers and second you never know what you are going to get. Instead of an IPhone you may get a cheap Chinese knock off or better yet, an empty box!

I've sold things and the buyer then backs out of the deal and tries to negotiate a lower price after the auction has ended. Ebay does little to remedy such situations.
eBay has changed dramatically. Buyer can always return for any reason for a full refund now. Sellers that mess around get their stuff back anyway.