Ebony question

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the the marks evidenced here are what were noted?
Screenshot_20220601-234006.jpg

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue was made by Tom Coker.
Check out the three veneers below the brown wood--in the picture of the handle oriented vertically. If you zoom in, you can see that the black veneer bled into the green veneer. It may look fine at normal viewing distances, but I would not be happy about that. Sorry to point out a flaw.

I happen to have a cue with bleeding veneers in the points. It's a nice cue that I bought used, and I could see the bleeding veneers in the pictures that the seller sent me, so I knew what I was getting. But, if I ordered that cue directly from the builder, first of all I would be shocked that he let that cue out of his shop, then the disappointment would set in. I don't see the veneers anymore when I play with the cue, but I know that the bleeding veneers are there, and I would have to point them out to a buyer if I ever decided to sell the cue.

Here's some more ebony:

blond_ebony.png

blond_ebony2.png

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since nobody mentioned it I will.

The “Black” wood is African black wood, which is much more expensive than ebony and much more dense(heavy).

Ebony makes for a better hitting cue imo, but for inlays or butt sleeves or prongs African black wood has that deep pure black look(most of the time).

My Black Boars have that. I have a couple SW’s that are ebony that look like African black wood.

Ask the cue makers, they know more than me. But it’s normal for ebony to have some brown streaks in it.

Fatboy ◼️

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the the marks evidenced here are what were noted?
View attachment 644521

I bought a new OB cue from jjcue that had marks like that. I sent it back to OB cues to get it refinished, and they repaired it under warranty. There's a picture of my cue with the marks here:

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
61ca7497d236742e9e8a46ef5c6713f4.jpg

Here is a pic of an African Blackwood cue. Love being able to see the grain. My wife’s good I-phone camera would do it more justice, but thought it was worth sharing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeDeeCues

Since nobody mentioned it I will.

The “Black” wood is African black wood, which is much more expensive than ebony and much more dense(heavy).

Ebony makes for a better hitting cue imo, but for inlays or butt sleeves or prongs African black wood has that deep pure black look(most of the time).

My Black Boars have that. I have a couple SW’s that are ebony that look like African black wood.

Ask the cue makers, they know more than me. But it’s normal for ebony to have some brown streaks in it.

Fatboy ◼️

There is absolutely fully black ebony. I had a 4' long, 4x6 that was about 80% full black.

The folies of youth, I bought that piece for fifty bucks and could have had a full pallet, but didn't have the cash.

Gaboon tends to be blacker than Macassar.

Chicken Feather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered a Pechauer with ebony wrap section. When I first look at it, it appeared solid black. Under better light the brown grain is clearly visible. I think it makes it even more beautiful. As others have said, if you can't see the grain, it is boring.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a 40 year old Schon R6 that has an ebony butt and points. The butt has a hint of brown streak in it. I've always liked this because it shows that it is real ebony and not stained maple.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
It may be "boring" to some but natural color, coal black ebony commands a premium in some circles of collecting cues.

Malagasy ebony, formally known as Madagascar ebony, imo is the finest and one of the best workable ebony in the world. No longer commercially available and can generally only be found now on the secondary market. This ebony can be and has been confused by some, because of the name similarity, as macassar ebony.

Macassar ebony is a whole different animal in the ebony family of woods and is still a very good cue wood. Some pcs. can be almost solid and dark but the most sought after are striped with brown and golden streaks.