Efren Reyes vs Earl Strickland 1988 Tara Open 9 ball

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have this on dvd. Unreal pool... and yes, efren chokes yet again. I harp on that from time to time. But he does. It's hard to say somebody chokes though when that good of pool is played.

This match has my favorite 9 ball shot of all time. Efren sticks the cueball behind a ball (he actually has to force forward about a balls length) from stuck in a corner pocket. He 2 rails the ob at the 9, which is in front of the side. Almost splices it in, misses it, and has a real strong safety. Now that's some 9 ball folks.

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have this on dvd. Unreal pool... and yes, efren chokes yet again. I harp on that from time to time. But he does. It's hard to say somebody chokes though when that good of pool is played.

This match has my favorite 9 ball shot of all time. Efren sticks the cueball behind a ball (he actually has to force forward about a balls length) from stuck in a corner pocket. He 2 rails the ob at the 9, which is in front of the side. Almost splices it in, misses it, and has a real strong safety. Now that's some 9 ball folks.

where did you buy this dvd? It's not from accustats
I thought it was some kind of amateur camerawork

Last edited:

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
This is from accustats.
Pat Fleming has produced many videos that seem to make their way onto youtube.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Their catalog generally does not list the older out of date videos. My closet is jammed with vhs tapes from accustats that are not in their catalog. That one is definitely accustats. If I recall you can hear Pat Flemings voice over at the start where he tells what the match is and where.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Efren wins 11-3. I guess I missed the part where he chokes.

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren wins 11-3. I guess I missed the part where he chokes.

he probably talks about the final. The match I uploaded is the sf, because the final lasts almost 2 hours. Maybe I'll upload it in the future but i uploaded this match in 3 hours and it is only 45 minutes.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reyes and Strickland also played in the final of the 1987 Tara Open, it was a race to 15 that goes down to the wire. What a great match, they were so utterly fearless it was scary.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Reyes and Strickland also played in the final of the 1987 Tara Open, it was a race to 15 that goes down to the wire. What a great match, they were so utterly fearless it was scary.

Was that '87 or '88?

Last edited:

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

I counted two mistakes by the Pearl. Two mistakes and the end result is 11-3. These are my two favorite players, thanks a million for the upload!

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

I think this may be an earlier match from the same tournament that Efren wins 11-3. Earl came back and beat Efren in the finals 15-14 I think, which is probably the match you're referring to.

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed Efren had a different stroke in the past, more down on the cue, different stance.. Today even before he hits the cueball he starts raising up his body back then he had much less body movement.

Last edited:

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that's the event where Strickland and Reyes go hill/hill in the finals - race to 15. They played so good in that match, I have to laugh when people say the players of 20-25 years ago couldn't play with todays top players!

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this may be an earlier match from the same tournament that Efren wins 11-3. Earl came back and beat Efren in the finals 15-14 I think, which is probably the match you're referring to.

Yes, my bad. The match I was talking about is DEF the 15-14 final. I didn't know this one even existed!! Great post!!!!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this was from the accu-stats before they add commentary into the matches, and if you notice the voice saying the scores is actually the only Pat Fleming.

it was a semi-final match, then the final match was again the same players, Earl vs Efren, and Earl won that one.

My two favorite players!

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowing that Earl got beat so bad in the semi just makes the final all that more impressive to me. On the other hand, it's ALWAYS hard to beat an equal player twice in a row, it's weird how it works that way. Who did Earl have to beat to make his way into the final after this match??