Eight ball pocketed on carom

Kjackxon

During an 8 Ball match my opponent was on the 8 ball (called shot). My ball was partially blocking the pocket. He pointed to the pocket and caromed the 8 ball off of the other ball. I asked him what rule made that a legally pocketed ball. His reply was that there was a local rule used by one of their leagues. Looking into a few rule books I found multiple explanations.
I typically play using BCA rules, and I don’t feel bound by a local agreement.
What would be the appropriate ruling for called shots on the 8 ball?

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He called the pocket, and it went in the pocket he called. Looks like a win to me no matter how it ended up there.
If he had rattled the pocket before it dropped would someone complain about that? Didn't call both the rails it used to get there! It didn't go straight in. Wasn't a "clean" shot.:rolleyes:
MIscue and carom in off another ball not even close to the called pocket but went in anyway? It happens. Still a win.
Don't like it? Clearly specify it in the rules! Or get your game better to where the other guy doesn't get a shot at the 8 ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In all the written rulesets I know of that talk about call shot eight ball, you have to specify only the ball and the pocket. Kisses, banks, etc., make no difference. As Freddie said, under BCAPL/CSI and BCA/WPA/WSR rules, only the pocket has to be called. Your opponent was correct.

In many bars, the patrons insist on calling all kisses and cushions. Or, they say that the eight ball must go cleanly. Those are bar rules, not actual, printed official rules. Often you have to play by the local room rules. They could be anything. Your opponent might not tell you that "We always play last pocket, and that was the wrong pocket," until after you have lost on what you thought was a perfectly good shot. In a bar, locals usually get their way.

Did you discuss the rules before you started?

The BCA rules (World Standardized Rules) are here: https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/

The BCAPL/CSI rules are here: https://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html

And as far as APA goes, I think it is the same way but you also need to mark the pocket.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In many bars, the patrons insist on calling all kisses and cushions. Or, they say that the eight ball must go cleanly. Those are bar rules, not actual, printed official rules. Often you have to play by the local room rules. They could be anything. Your opponent might not tell you that "We always play last pocket, and that was the wrong pocket," until after you have lost on what you thought was a perfectly good shot. In a bar, locals usually get their way.
Much the reason that more advanced pool players don't bother with tavern pool unless they know who they are playing and where they are coming from with the rules.

If you want to have some fun with the riff-raff, tell them you want to play ball in hand after every shot that does not pocket a called ball. It sure simplifies all the other rules!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During an 8 Ball match my opponent was on the 8 ball (called shot). My ball was partially blocking the pocket. He pointed to the pocket and caromed the 8 ball off of the other ball. I asked him what rule made that a legally pocketed ball. His reply was that there was a local rule used by one of their leagues. Looking into a few rule books I found multiple explanations.
As long as he hit the 8 ball first and called the correct pocket, it doesn’t matter what ball or balls or cushions the 8 ball hit off of. If you make the ball in the correct pocket, you win. That goes for all shots in the game of call shot eight ball. This rule is made as simply as it can possibly be expressly to avoid such conflicts.

Kjackxon

I was confused over how the rule was worded, and deferred to asking someone on another table. I don’t argue over a shot. I missed my chance to get out and lost the game. Thanks for the clarification and support ✅

tomatoshooter

Whenever I run across those bar room rules players I know the wins are fixing to pile up.
You know the rules they were playing, the same ones players hate.
"Look up dere on dem dat wall
Rule 1 No Gambling
Rule 2 Call all shots including rail and kisses
Rule 3 Bartender has final say
"Everybody knows..."

Well everybody ain't written a rule book. Everybody ain't sanctioned a tournament.

"You didn't say you were going to bank it!"

Well how the **** else is the ball going to get in that pocket?

Bar rules suck. The bar I play at plays BCA rules. Occasionally we'll get some pudknockers that want to play bar rules and they can't sink a ball. Trust me, dude, you need ball in hand WAY more than I do. I don't consider spending time on the table getting my money's worth, knocking balls into holes is where I get my money's worth. Bar rules don't make the game better, they just impede a skilled player more than a chump. We might as well be playing with a purple 5 ball.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
If he hit the 8 first it's legal. Caroms are part of pool and a good way to deal with blocked pockets.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Education has filtered into the bars. Some will differentiate between call shot and call pocket. The former being standard bar nonsense and the latter, the standard rule set rule.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Local bar room rules can have some interesting variations. Call every kiss carom or rail being the most common that I have encountered. Under those rules if I call a straight back bank they will most likely inquire, "is that one rail or two?" Meaning if it brushes the side rail going in it's a rail. I don't mind the various rule sets and in most cases don't even mind a surprise rule. As long as we are going to continue playing for stakes. The rule that surprised me the most came up playing a tournament in a refinery in Fort McMurray, CND. C eah N eah D eah.😉 Oh yeah, the rule was it was a foul for me to pocket my opponent's ball. He had a ball blocking a corner pocket. I made a called shot in the side and took his out with the cue ball leaving me shape to continue with that pocket now available to use and run out. I thought! Foul! Called by the director. Could not get a historical reason other than that was what his father taught him.🤷 Oh well, it was a weekly free tournament that awarded a T-shirt to the winner. I was there for 6 weeks building scaffolding and saw to that my fellow scaffolding builders got a shirt.😉

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
In Costa Rican 8b, the 1b goes in one side and the 15b goes in the other side. Not only that but you are not allowed to move the other guys 1b
(or 15b), if it is bumped the fouled player has his choice of returning it to it's original position or leaving it in the new position.

If you have solids and make the 1b in a different pocket it must be spotted and you forfeit your turn. I have used this rule to position my 1b to go in the side the next shot when stuffed in a corner. They hated that.

The 8b must be "clean" meaning it cannot be caromed in or even banked in some rooms.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Costa Rican 8b, the 1b goes in one side and the 15b goes in the other side. Not only that but you are not allowed to move the other guys 1b
(or 15b), if it is bumped the fouled player has his choice of returning it to it's original position or leaving it in the new position.

If you have solids and make the 1b in a different pocket it must be spotted and you forfeit your turn. I have used this rule to position my 1b to go in the side the next shot when stuffed in a corner. They hated that.

The 8b must be "clean" meaning it cannot be caromed in or even banked in some rooms.
Look up Alabama 8 ball