Eisenmeister wrap information wanted

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all its been a while. I was wondering if anyone has figured out how the Eisenmeister wrap was constructed. Is anyone able to put one on a cue today?

Just curious mainly, I remember a while back I was searching for a cue with the E wrap at least partially intact in order to reverse engineer it. Im sure it wouldn't be too complicated.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Happy New Year Everybody

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick_1914_-2.jpg

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Now that is cool. I wonder if it is similar to how some fishing rods are wrapped at the base of the rod near the handle?

How long do you think those fancy shafts lasted before warping? What company was this?

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that is cool. I wonder if it is similar to how some fishing rods are wrapped at the base of the rod near the handle?

How long do you think those fancy shafts lasted before warping? What company was this?
Those fancy shafts are much less prone to warping due to the laminated construction.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That is the Brunswick catalog, and the wraps are a marvel. I'd love a flawless example to review, but they are typically tattered. Silk is fragile

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Maybe a fishing rod guy could do the wrap. Don;t know of any cue maker's who do. Pic from AZ member Hunter below.
eisenmeister cues.jpg

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe a fishing rod guy could do the wrap. Don;t know of any cue maker's who do. ...
Jack Justis built fishing rods before he built pool cue cases, and he did some of those woven wraps on pool cues. He also built a few pool cues back in the 1990's.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Those fancy shafts are much less prone to warping due to the laminated construction.
Due to “laminated” construction? Maybe I’m just not understanding what you mean by laminated or you mean something else.

An article in Billiards Digest by Keith Paradise supplies an anecdote about a 4 piece laminate shaft with steel center rod created and quickly discarded by Bob Owen in the 1960’s. It also chronicles the rise in popularity of laminate shafts in the 1990’s. https://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_current_issue/apr_19/bb_index.php

The Longoni website opines tha Renzo Longoni had been experimenting with laminate construction since the early 1960’s before obtaining a patent in 1985.https://www.longonicues.com/longoni-shafts/shafts-technologies?id=535:stratos-shaft-technology

The International Cuemakers Association recognizes Jim Schmelke as one of the first Cuemakers to use flat laminate shafts. https://www.internationalcuemakers.com/hall-of-fame/

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some nice examples of Jack Justis wraps on page 76 of the first edition of the Blue Book of Pool Cues.

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Interesting thread (lol), I've never seen those wraps. I build fishing rods, I don't do a lot of the "fancy wraps" but I've done a few. I blew up the pic Tate gave and it doesn't appear like these wraps are done like on a fishing rod. On a rod, the wraps are wrapped on different axis and there will be overlaps. This looks like it's a sleeve, I wish I could see one up close then I could tell for sure. Jack Justis probably knows.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Due to “laminated” construction? Maybe I’m just not understanding what you mean by laminated or you mean something else.

An article in Billiards Digest by Keith Paradise supplies an anecdote about a 4 piece laminate shaft with steel center rod created and quickly discarded by Bob Owen in the 1960’s. It also chronicles the rise in popularity of laminate shafts in the 1990’s. https://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_current_issue/apr_19/bb_index.php

The Longoni website opines tha Renzo Longoni had been experimenting with laminate construction since the early 1960’s before obtaining a patent in 1985.https://www.longonicues.com/longoni-shafts/shafts-technologies?id=535:stratos-shaft-technology

The International Cuemakers Association recognizes Jim Schmelke as one of the first Cuemakers to use flat laminate shafts. https://www.internationalcuemakers.com/hall-of-fame/
Laminated means gluing pieces of wood together. Butterfly splices are glued on.
Several cuemakers have made laminated shafts over the years, myself included. They’re stiffer than a solid one piece shaft and less likely to warp. Similar to laminated beams in construction, much stronger than a solid beam.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out HQueen. I was thinking laminated construction implied along the entire length of the shaft. So a butterfly joint in the shaft would be less prone to warp because of the two shorter pieces to make the whole.

How would that affect deflection? What would happen if a shaft had a butterfly just behind the taper or right at a typical pivot point? I guess there’s a reason folks don’t seem to make them that way anymore.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out HQueen. I was thinking laminated construction implied along the entire length of the shaft. So a butterfly joint in the shaft would be less prone to warp because of the two shorter pieces to make the whole.

How would that affect deflection? What would happen if a shaft had a butterfly just behind the taper or right at a typical pivot point? I guess there’s a reason folks don’t seem to make them that way anymore.
Jacoby offers spliced shafts, I do believe.

I think it is an option within its Crown series.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In the older days I don’t think they gave much thought to deflection. Just remember it’s the Indian not the arrow. Example, once I was at a bar with a good friend who can play. I can play but this guy can really play, he used to play on the Florida pro tour. Anyway, we’re playing on a bar box that’s extremely dirty using house cues with slip on ferrule/tip and not much tip left. He’s not only playing incredible, he’s spinning that soft ball sized cue ball and running out. He now plays with a Mezz carbon fiber shaft but he could take one of the old shafts mentioned here and run racks.