Elbow Drop

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any training technique to eliminate elbow drop? Filmed myself and I'm terrible with this. I've been told it's after the hit. Couldn't tell from the film. I figure it wouldn't hurt to get rid of it.

I did have some luck hitting the ball with my eyes closed.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are dropping your elbow consistently AFTER the hit, it really doesn't matter. When it starts to matter is when you start dropping it BEFORE the hit. If you never drop it, then you are more likely to stay consistent in your hit.

If you really want to change it, all it takes is to consciously make sure that you don't drop it in practice. In time, how long depends on how fast you learn, you can sart to think about it less and less, until it becomes automatic.
Ya it's kinda like when someone says "It hurts when I do that" So stop doing that.

Your comment of when it happens is when it matters was told to me by Scott Lee in a lesson. I just figure if I eliminated it then I'd have to find another excuse for missing.
Maybe I shouldn't change. I'm running out of excuses except the sure fire, blame the
table excuse.

I was hoping for some miracle fast track training solution other than WORK At IT. Oh well back to work.

Like every change it sure feels weird and no power control right now.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Niel

First of all it's not loss of power it's loss of control.

Second, I think my problem is in my follow through, I have a long follow through and have determined that in fact the drop is after the hit.

What do I do? Still make a correction or not? Maybe I'll get am in person evaluation just to make sure.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom...It is obvious that you have not watched the tapes of our lesson (please contact me privately to remedy this). I went into great detail, showing you how to measure your personal shooting template, and how, when you stroke with a pendulum swing, the tip goes to exactly the same place every time. All of this is MEASUREABLE. It becomes repeatable, when you use it without an elbow drop. When you drop your elbow, your tip finishes in many different places. Neil is correct that there's no effect on the outcome of the shot, once the CB leaves the tip...but finishing your stroke with different length 'artificial followthroughs', is just confusing to the mind and body. It doesn't serve any positive function (and it can certainly have negative effects), in the delivery of a perfect (read: accurate, repeatable, and sustainable) stroke...so why do it? Remember how we worked on the elbow drop, using the water bottle on your elbow? Try that some more, with a partner. You need to watch the video, and remember your template.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Niel

First of all it's not loss of power it's loss of control.

Second, I think my problem is in my follow through, I have a long follow through and have determined that in fact the drop is after the hit.

What do I do? Still make a correction or not? Maybe I'll get am in person evaluation just to make sure.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i actually drop my elbow on purpose when i shoot the money ball. it helps me make sure i follow all the way through

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
elbow drop

dropping the elbow is the most advanced cue action now in cue sports, ive got to say but everyone who is commenting on it here, has not got a cluer what there talking about, del hill world snooker head coach taught ronnie o sullivan to do this im sure u all know who he is, daryl peach seen del and then won the world title, if you want to be shown how to drop the elbow and drive the cueball properly ask me for my email, i now work in toronto and coach john morra, chris orme, brittany bryant and numerous top canadian snooker players

MilwShooter

Pool? Never heard of it..
Silver Member
dropping the elbow is the most advanced cue action now in cue sports, ive got to say but everyone who is commenting on it here, has not got a cluer what there talking about, del hill world snooker head coach taught ronnie o sullivan to do this im sure u all know who he is, daryl peach seen del and then won the world title, if you want to be shown how to drop the elbow and drive the cueball properly ask me for my email, i now work in toronto and coach john morra, chris orme, brittany bryant and numerous top canadian snooker players

While I know what you are referencing, I think your idea of elbow drop and the OP's idea is different. I'm assuming that his is more of an "all done" elbow drop, whereas you are referencing "intentional" follow. elbow drop and elbow follow through are fairly different.

If all you are seeing is a pendulum swing, and all you've ever done is pendulum, it's a lot harder to change to an elbow drop swing. People need to be at the top of their game before trying to change their swing. I would probably reserve this sort of change for people who are strong AA players.

IMHO

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Just my uninformed opinion. . .

Most players drop their elbow during follow through. I would say it is key to a good level follow through.

Now, where I see guys screw this up is in their pre shot routine. After warm up strokes, I stop my tip within 1/2 inch of the cue ball right where I want to hit the cue ball. This is where I lock my elbow in. Then I draw back, swing forward into the cue ball and let my elbow drop through for a smooth level follow through. The key is stopping the cue tip very close to the cue ball and remembering that position in your body positioning.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
If you want to keep form dropping your elbow I have found this to be useful. Take your normal stance and line up your shot. Look in a mirror or have someone else measure the distance your arm and body under your armpit. Now take a rag or anything else that is light put it under your arm and hole it there. You may have to keep adjusting the size to get where it is right for you. Now shoot with that in place and don't let it fall out. The only way to do this is by just swinging your forearm. After you get it it your mind that you don't have to use your whole arm you can stop using that.