elephant ear

seanandnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a discussion with a few guys at the local pool room, the question was this " is elephant ear wrap actually made of an elephant ear ? " and if not then what is it ?

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Real Elephant Ear is made from the ear of the Elephant. A lot of sellers call any piece of hide the ear, but most are not really ear.

Notice the difference on a live Elephant

e6cc79ff.jpg

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Real Elephant Ear is made from the ear of the Elephant. A lot of sellers call any piece of hide the ear, but most are not really ear.

e6cc79ff.jpg

C'mon don't lie to him. Tell him the truth.. it's elephant foreskin. (sorry I don't have a picture) :p

JV (----sometimes the truth hurts.... :p

seanandnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
!!

"C'mon don't lie to him. Tell him the truth.. it's elephant foreskin. (sorry I don't have a picture) "

So if I rub the wrap will cue get longer ?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
"C'mon don't lie to him. Tell him the truth.. it's elephant foreskin. (sorry I don't have a picture) "

So if I rub the wrap will cue get longer ?

No but it might make the cueball squirt more. :grin:
I was told by a boot maker acquaintance ( Tony Murga ) , the elephant ears come in plies.
They are the only ones soft enough to be made into cowboy boots.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know lots about elephants, there are very few elephants with ears big enough to make a case from, wraps are a differnt story. Often times on mature bulls their ears are a tattered up on the edges making the useable area small. The best part of the elephant for cases and wraps is from the chest and armpit areas. I have shot and helped butchere 14 elephants in my life, it takes a lot of people to butcher a elephant, I was just helping. Depending on the size of the elephant you get a different number of panals of hide to be scathed and tanned, its too heavy to come off in one piece and impossible to tan, on a small cow elepnaht you still end up with 8-10 pieces of hide and many more on a bull. Also if you have a small crew to skin it, they cut it into more panals. Its VERY heavy out in the field, they stay up all night scathing it and stacking it on the salt. It stays in the salt for about a month.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

e6cc79ff.jpg

thats a african elephant which is BTW the hide that all cue makers use, I havent heard of any Asian elephant's being used(I know some about asian elephants, but am more well schooled in African elephants). Far as I know you cant hunt elephants in Asia anymore, there is lots of elephant hunting in Africa, its stronger than ever-however the big tusk elephants are scarce these days, but there are more elephants alive than ever in most areas of sub saharan Africa.

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know lots about elephants, there are very few elephants with ears big enough to make a case from, wraps are a differnt story. Often times on mature bulls their ears are a tattered up on the edges making the useable area small. The best part of the elephant for cases and wraps is from the chest and armpit areas. I have shot and helped butchere 14 elephants in my life, it takes a lot of people to butcher a elephant, I was just helping. Depending on the size of the elephant you get a different number of panals of hide to be scathed and tanned, its too heavy to come off in one piece and impossible to tan, on a small cow elepnaht you still end up with 8-10 pieces of hide and many more on a bull. Also if you have a small crew to skin it, they cut it into more panals. Its VERY heavy out in the field, they stay up all night scathing it and stacking it on the salt. It stays in the salt for about a month.

Just curious. What does elephant taste like?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious. What does elephant taste like?

99% of it is real real chewy, it looks like beef when the elephant is being butchered, the same color red, its not dark or bright red-just normal beef color. The fat is white, (in Zebra its yellow and turns orange after the air is on it for a hour) there is one muscle in neck and the meat between the ribs (which are small considering how big a elephant is) is good. We take a shovel and some fat from the inside of the elephant thats wrapped around its lower GI tract and chuncks of the meat and fry it up in the shovel while were disassembling the beast. It tastes alot like beef, its mild, not gamie at all, infact none of the meat in Africa has that sage taste the N.American game meat has. Its a littel sweeter than beef and it needs salt real bad, Elephant meat has zero salt in it, I dont like salty food but with Elephant salt is necessary and a drop of Tabasco.

The fat from the inside of the elephant is divided evenly between all the locals, because after you render it(melt it) and strain it, it stays liquid and stays fresh in bottles like corn oil, it dosent have a tallow like flavor or greasy like pig fat. Its like canola/corn oil blend. ALL of the meat it eaten by people, they dry it and preserve it, how they preoair it after that I dont know. They also take lots of the insistines to eat as well., the stomach, gut contents and lungs and bones are all thats left after the elephant has been picked over by the local villagers. The heart on a mature bull, a real big one is about 60-70 pounds-and is is good to eat(not for me tho), the artieries going into it are about 2"-2 1/4", they look like fire hoses. Shooting one elephant feeds alot of hungery people for a long time.

Its all done on a quota system, there is a Govt Game Scout with us the whole time to keep everything on the square. And the Safari operator dosent want to lose his annual quota, so in a 100,000-200,000 acre area they might get a 4-5 eephant quota for the year, so its a big day for them when a elephant is harvested. Everyone shows up with their knife's and plastic bags and after its skinned and opened up, the main butcher gives them the green light to get what they can, there are 50+ people attacking one elephant-you never saw anything like it in your life. I have some video of it.

The elephant after its harvested is reported to CITIES and all the paper work begins so the ivory, hide etc and be legally exported. It varies from country to country.

Elephant hunting isnt about killing, Its about hunting. I have went 8-12 hours a day for 30 days in a row and seen 1000's of elephants but none with tusks big enough or we couldnt get to them etc. Its alot of work, most of the big tuskers are gone, there are still a few, but I havent sen one in 120+ days in the bush.

Last edited:

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99% of it is real real chewy, it looks like beef when the elephant is being butchered, the same color red, its not dark or bright red-just normal beef color. The fat is white, (in Zebra its yellow and turns orange after the air is on it for a hour) there is one muscle in neck and the meat between the ribs (which are small considering how big a elephant is) is good. We take a shovel and some fat from the inside of the elephant thats wrapped around its lower GI tract and chuncks of the meat and fry it up in the shovel while were disassembling the beast. It tastes alot like beef, its mild, not gamie at all, infact none of the meat in Africa has that sage taste the N.American game meat has. Its a littel sweeter than beef and it needs salt real bad, Elephant meat has zero salt in it, I dont like salty food but with Elephant salt is necessary and a drop of Tabasco.

The fat from the inside of the elephant is divided evenly between all the locals, because after you render it(melt it) and strain it, it stays liquid and stays fresh in bottles like corn oil, it dosent have a tallow like flavor or greasy like pig fat. Its like canola/corn oil blend. ALL of the meat it eaten by people, they dry it and preserve it, how they preoair it after that I dont know. They also take lots of the insistines to eat as well., the stomach, gut contents and lungs and bones are all thats left after the elephant has been picked over by the local villagers. The heart on a mature bull, a real big one is about 60-70 pounds-and is is good to eat(not for me tho), the artieries going into it are about 2"-2 1/4", they look like fire hoses. Shooting one elephant feeds alot of hungery people for a long time.

Its all done on a quota system, there is a Govt Game Scout with us the whole time to keep everything on the square. And the Safari operator dosent want to lose his annual quota, so in a 100,000-200,000 acre area they might get a 4-5 eephant quota for the year, so its a big day for them when a elephant is harvested. Everyone shows up with their knife's and plastic bags and after its skinned and opened up, the main butcher gives them the green light to get what they can, there are 50+ people attacking one elephant-you never saw anything like it in your life. I have some video of it.

The elephant after its harvested is reported to CITIES and all the paper work begins so the ivory, hide etc and be legally exported. It varies from country to country.

Elephant hunting isnt about killing, Its about hunting. I have went 8-12 hours a day for 30 days in a row and seen 1000's of elephants but none with tusks big enough or we couldnt get to them etc. Its alot of work, most of the big tuskers are gone, there are still a few, but I havent sen one in 120+ days in the bush.

Wow! Thanks for the response. I sometimes watch some African hunts on the outdoor channel and you never see what happens with the animal after it's taken. I struggle to get turkeys close enough to shoot, couldn't imagine chasing something around for weeks at a time. Especially something as big as an elephant.