Elite Billiards, in Worcester Mass., is closing :(

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
Hi Folks,

This is (was) a real pool room, and I'm sorry to say I was told that it is closing down
at the end of the month. They had about 27 Gandy Big Gs, and two billiard tables.
No Booze, one working soda machine and a snack machine. Coffee was 50 cents,
and I think they still served hot dogs.

I doubt many folks here have ever been there, and although the equipment was old, it
was my favorite room in my area. About 20-30 years ago there were all kinds of "great"
players there, and I saw the women pros there about 20 years ago. It was pulled off
their tour shortly thereafter due to the equipment conditions.

Anyway, it had a lot of character, and I will miss it. I'm not sure where the closest
"old time pool hall" is now. I'm not even sure if there is one left at all in MA.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about your homeroom Whitey2. Rent per sq ft is too high for poolrooms now a days. There are a lot better things to put in besides a polroom if you own the property. Only thing I can see making it are average of 10-14 tables, half 7 footers, a bar with beer,wine, and booze and work 12 hour days. Plus location, location, location.Johnnyt

Last edited:

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
Yeh

Yes, I believe you are referring to the Billiard's Cafe.

It's quite a haul from Framingham though. I have not been there though. I was supposed
to meet a co-worker from the past there a few months ago, but plans fell through.

Lately, I have not even picked up a cue. I will try to check out the place in Ayer sometime
this summer, but I've almost given up pool for now. That might change if I relocate to find
work, but for the summer, I'm taking another stab at music (both composing/playing) and
perhaps a "real" stab at creating some artwork to sell.

It was nice to have a room where I knew everyone, and thus knew who to play where I had
a fair chance of winning enough to pay for the trip, etc..

I just can't get motivated to "start fresh" in another pool room, especially when it costs so
much to get there, etc..

You folks with local pool rooms are so darn fortunate...

Especially ones that have weekly (at least) tournaments...

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I'm sorry to hear that. I only was there maybe two or three times -- if it is the room I am thinking of, not too far from the Centrum? Formerly (or maybe still) owned by Gene Tivnan, who played a role in helping a few rooms get going over the years, as I understand it (sp?)...

Maybe a different room...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
whitey2 said:
Yes, I believe you are referring to the Billiard's Cafe.

It's quite a haul from Framingham though. I have not been there though. I was supposed
to meet a co-worker from the past there a few months ago, but plans fell through.

Lately, I have not even picked up a cue. I will try to check out the place in Ayer sometime
this summer, but I've almost given up pool for now. That might change if I relocate to find
work, but for the summer, I'm taking another stab at music (both composing/playing) and
perhaps a "real" stab at creating some artwork to sell.

It was nice to have a room where I knew everyone, and thus knew who to play where I had
a fair chance of winning enough to pay for the trip, etc..

I just can't get motivated to "start fresh" in another pool room, especially when it costs so
much to get there, etc..

You folks with local pool rooms are so darn fortunate...

Especially ones that have weekly (at least) tournaments...
It's 40 minutes from me, but I'm trying to make it Billiard Cafe in Ayer every Tuesday for their non-handicapped Race to 3/2 tourney (8b/9b alternating weeks). I'd all but given up playing, but this fun tourney has brought my excitement out from the pits of dispair.

The tables are furniture Brunswick 9', with 4 3/4" or bigger corners. Big pockets, but I need them ;)

Fred

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I remember Elite Billiards in Worcester being on the second floor. They had some nice 14.1 tourneys in that room with Boston Shorty, Billy Dunsmore, Mike Zuglan. Is that the same Elite Billiard room or did they move once?

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
yup

3andstop said:
I remember Elite Billiards in Worcester being on the second floor. They had some nice 14.1 tourneys in that room with Boston Shorty, Billy Dunsmore, Mike Zuglan. Is that the same Elite Billiard room or did they move once?

Yes, that's the same room (well sort of). They were located on the second floor on Front St., and later moved
to the current location on Main St., right next to the newly renovated (but maybe not open yet) Showcase Cinema.

The entire Federal Square area seems to have got quite a face lift in the last few months. I was up there a few weeks ago, and there was all kind of work complete. They even redid the (little) garden area, and have brightly colored tiled pillars, which are very inspiring, especially for the younger generation. Scenes of rockets, stars, etc..

I think they "kicked him out of the area", from what I
was told. I hate when that sort of things happens, it kind of reminds me of the "Breaking Away" movie, when the main character's father is sitting on a bench outside a college building, that he cut the stone for. He mentioned something like "the buildings get too good for us".

Another thing that was great along with the low rates, was that parking in the Federal Garage across the street was $1 (no typo) if you got there after 5:00 P.M..

theoneandonly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That

is some bad news. I have been to elite a few times, and I will say it didnt have the best equiptment, it did have that old time pool hall feel. I would compare it a lil to county cue on rt 1. I only got to play there a few times, btu did enjoy playing there. The owner seemed like a really nice guy.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
That is sad news, I used to go there for the tourneys with Bill Dunsmore. There was action in that room, and some awefull tough players, everyone and anyone got played.

whitey2

Time Stand Still
Silver Member
Country Cue has closed too, right?

theoneandonly said:
is some bad news. I have been to elite a few times, and I will say it didnt have the best equiptment, it did have that old time pool hall feel. I would compare it a lil to county cue on rt 1. I only got to play there a few times, btu did enjoy playing there. The owner seemed like a really nice guy.

I thought I was told that Country Cue had also closed.

I was only there once, shortly after getting laid off a few years ago, and I spent a few
days driving around to check out some places. It seemed so close to World Class,
that I think I remember I might have been able to throw a stone from one to another.

Anyway, Yes, I just briefly popped in to Country Cue, and spoke to the guy for a few
minutes regarding the cases he had for sale. He seemed like a really nice guy, and
reminded me of Grady Mathews a little. I did get the feeling of a "basic pool hall" when
I was there.

I heard a group of folks that used to be regulars at Mr. Billiards in Framingham used to
meet some night weekly up at Country Cue, but that was a few years ago.

Anyway, I'm still working on a song about the demise of pool, so "stay tuned". :) It might
be a few weeks or longer, but I really intend to put part of it up on the forum.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
whitey2 said:
Anyway, I'm still working on a song about the demise of pool, so "stay tuned". :) It might
be a few weeks or longer, but I really intend to put part of it up on the forum.

Whitey2, I hope it's not a loud song, :smile: cause that's exactly what demised it for me! :dance:

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you head up to Ayer, mught as well head to Country Club. I think right now that is one of the best rooms in NE. I played there a few weeks back on one of the 2 tightened-up GCIIIs they have, and they were well maintaned. I was the only one in the non-bar area for a while though, and there were never more than 3 tables going during Sat. daytime on that side. I have yet to find a pool room I like in NE as much as Brighton Billiards. In a basement, smokey, 8 very nice tables. Closed. Sigh.

When we gonna play whitey?? I may be free tonight or Sunday, PM me.

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
If things don`t get better soon there might be another one closing in Pa.
Damn its slow. Pool is not on the list now for something to do, not even to cool off inside.

highrun55