End Pattern Studies

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Deciding if a table layout leads to a breakshot is a great exercise.
My player progression indicates I have all the pocketing skills, but my table analysis is lacking.

Check out the diagram below and decide how to runout for a breakshot.
For added fun decide where an extra ball can be placed that results in no breakshot possible

The main theme is understanding the difference between table layouts that can keep the high run versus patterns that limit the high run.

How difficult can it be to get to the breakshot with only a few balls on the table? Some position lines are just easier than others, that is the rating system I am trying create.
If anyone wants to build a computer routine that is competent in 14.1, that is the direction I plan to take this thread.

EndRack01.png

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deciding if a table layout leads to a breakshot is a great exercise.
My player progression indicates I have all the pocketing skills, but my table analysis is lacking.

Check out the diagram below and decide how to runout for a breakshot.
For added fun decide where an extra ball can be placed that results in no breakshot possible

The main theme is understanding the difference between table layouts that can keep the high run versus patterns that limit the high run.

How difficult can it be to get to the breakshot with only a few balls on the table? Some position lines are just easier than others, that is the rating system I am trying create.
If anyone wants to build a computer routine that is competent in 14.1, that is the direction I plan to take this thread.

View attachment 670121
I can imagine over a half dozen ways to get in position for a breakshot on the yellow, but it DOES make you think about which is less risky (blue as the key ball minimizes travel). MY instinct would lean toward ending up close to the CB’s original position, with slightly more angle (side pocket break). Getting to center-table for a good corner pocket break angle might be tougher (?), though that choice could be best for those who excel at speed control, as the angles are all natural/center-ball hit shots, whereas getting good shape on the blue would likely involve precise draw off the orange (?), something I would probably screw up BTW.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Interesting, my 4th added ball would be near the right side pocket long rail. I would then play 1st play the yellow - at lower rt, then fourth added ball in either upper or lower rt corner - leading into the blue for key ball. I then play the yellow in the center in rt side for break shot.

justnum

Silver Member
End Rack Puzzle:
Can this layout lead to a breakshot and potential runout?

EndRackPuzzle288.png

justnum

Silver Member
Interesting, my 4th added ball would be near the right side pocket long rail. I would then play 1st play the yellow - at lower rt, then fourth added ball in either upper or lower rt corner - leading into the blue for key ball. I then play the yellow in the center in rt side for break shot.

Thanks for posting Mr Harriman.

Some players in the Main Forum think Chess is more exciting than 14.1.
In terms of computers 14.1 patterns are not as easy to solve as end game chess positions.

14.1 end patterns take a lot more than just reading the table, it takes the ability to quantify it. Chess is already quantified, but not 14.1 A programmer has to know how to predict what happens around corners, points and other singularities, specifically recognizing when a table layout has no runout option..

If your interested would you like to be the author of a new 14.1 book about end run patterns and breakshots. I can run the a print of around 100 books about 60 pages each, softcover.

I've been putting together a draft but it won't sell unless it has a champs name on it.
I mainly want to do it as an exercise. I have a more serious book in my mind but want to work out production details first.

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you define “break shot”? The vast majority of shots on the table offer some theoretical possibility of creating a path for the cue ball to hit the stack.

justnum

Silver Member
How do you define “break shot”? The vast majority of shots on the table offer some theoretical possibility of creating a path for the cue ball to hit the stack.

Great Question.

General characteristics of a breakshot
1) After pocketing the OB and striking the rack CB does not have a path line to a pocket
2) After CB striking rack, CB has a predictable follow up shot based on rack contact
3) The predictable follow up shot allows for position to another breakshot or pocket OB.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks for posting Mr Harriman.

Some players in the Main Forum think Chess is more exciting than 14.1.
In terms of computers 14.1 patterns are not as easy to solve as end game chess positions.

14.1 end patterns take a lot more than just reading the table, it takes the ability to quantify it. Chess is already quantified, but not 14.1 A programmer has to know how to predict what happens around corners, points and other singularities, specifically recognizing when a table layout has no runout option..

If your interested would you like to be the author of a new 14.1 book about end run patterns and breakshots. I can run the a print of around 100 books about 60 pages each, softcover.

I've been putting together a draft but it won't sell unless it has a champs name on it.
I mainly want to do it as an exercise. I have a more serious book in my mind but want to work out production details first.
Thanks I will give it a thought or two, as long as it is about 14.1 - and not so much me - I am interested. I play chess as well but am much MO' proficient in 14.1 section - less Blunders. I am not much of an Academic but if it helps to promote 14.1 - I'm - All In. Take Care - Principle Investigator.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
End Rack Puzzle:
Can this layout lead to a breakshot and potential runout?

View attachment 670698
Which end is the foot spot on? If the right, and the 10 passes the 2, then a ‘no brainer’ (bring the CB back to the side rail, and break with the 3 in the side pocket). If the left, then the 10 is already a breakshot, so 3 in the side with tons of stun/outside follow (center table target) or maybe the corner with low outside, though that option could be tricky & leave you hooked or bad on the 2 (?).

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Question.

General characteristics of a breakshot
1) After pocketing the OB and striking the rack CB does not have a path line to a pocket
2) After CB striking rack, CB has a predictable follow up shot based on rack contact
3) The predictable follow up shot allows for position to another breakshot or pocket OB.
If this is your definition of a break shot then they barely exist. There aren't predictable follow up shots, much less one that will lead you to another shot. That's a fantasy. Best you can do is play the percentages as in where balls tend to go when you hit them a certain way, and what general zone you might want the cue ball to go. Maybe there are pro's who can do better, but then again I've heard otherwise from HOF players.

There are some good books on the subject. As a beginner to 14.1 it might do you some good to spend a couple of decades reading and applying lessons found there rather skipping that part and going straight to being an expert and writing a book... just sayin'.

justnum

Silver Member
Thanks I will give it a thought or two, as long as it is about 14.1 - and not so much me - I am interested. I play chess as well but am much MO' proficient in 14.1 section - less Blunders. I am not much of an Academic but if it helps to promote 14.1 - I'm - All In. Take Care - Principle Investigator.

When the time is right the full edition can be printed. For now just print some out and give it out at your pool room.
Build the base, then when the audience has enough demand we can print a first edition.

Tell them your doing a focus group or just looking for feedback.

Tell your friends to start a #hashtag. #141 or #StraightPool and post the file or images or whatever.
The stats will help to get onboarded by a larger publisher or other sponsor.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
If this is your definition of a break shot then they barely exist. There aren't predictable follow up shots, much less one that will lead you to another shot. That's a fantasy. Best you can do is play the percentages as in where balls tend to go when you hit them a certain way, and what general zone you might want the cue ball to go. Maybe there are pro's who can do better, but then again I've heard otherwise from HOF players.

There are some good books on the subject. As a beginner to 14.1 it might do you some good to spend a couple of decades reading and applying lessons found there rather skipping that part and going straight to being an expert and writing a book... just sayin'.
No worries Dan Hue De White, Redhawk - is in good alliance, he is helping me with a new chapter for honest Pocket Billiard players. As you know - There's a new World somewhere, I am not your guy' but I will be your guide or scout. Your no Dandy - Dan, Redhawk has a strong noodle and honest intent - so give him some elbow room. Ran against a fellow once who would bring out elbows often - when in close quarters or pack wit him, he would also relieve his nostril in my direction - depending on what side I was passing him from. Let justnum/(Redhawk pending) pass - he needs no correction, as again he is helping me with my punctuation in a new chapter for honest 14.1 aficionados. It's a long, long Journey - just ask those who try to promote the j.s/c.w/bca 'phony 626 new whorld wreckord storee'.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot the orange ball - yellow in side by it. Lay just off the rail to cut 2blue in the corner. Hard sliding draw breaks the rack and whitey gets clear.
I expect to have a ball in front of both bottom corner pockets and possibly 1 to each side pocket.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No worries Dan Hue De White, Redhawk - is in good alliance, he is helping me with a new chapter for honest Pocket Billiard players. As you know - There's a new World somewhere, I am not your guy' but I will be your guide or scout. Your no Dandy - Dan, Redhawk has a strong noodle and honest intent - so give him some elbow room. Ran against a fellow once who would bring out elbows often - when in close quarters or pack wit him, he would also relieve his nostril in my direction - depending on what side I was passing him from. Let justnum/(Redhawk pending) pass - he needs no correction, as again he is helping me with my punctuation in a new chapter for honest 14.1 aficionados. It's a long, long Journey - just ask those who try to promote the j.s/c.w/bca 'phony 626 new whorld wreckord storee'.
If you are writing something and someone else is the editor then I'm all for it. If you are sharing your experience then put me on the waiting list!

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
If you are writing something and someone else is the editor then I'm all for it. If you are sharing your experience then put me on the waiting list!
Not worry Dan, Redhawk is trying to get the 'full value' out of every thread he enters - this much I know to be true. I have respect for him, he is not afraid to stand up to woke media and there little piggie affiliates. My experiences out on the road and other - would fill a book, that will surface later on down the highway. Right now I choose to bring me focal point towards - how the game of 14.1 continuous can be filmed and presented to the public in a proper way. In this new footage there will be no Divisional concepts or cultural divides shall we say, open public - is the ONLY PUBLIC.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot the orange ball - yellow in side by it. Lay just off the rail to cut 2blue in the corner. Hard sliding draw breaks the rack and whitey gets clear.
I expect to have a ball in front of both bottom corner pockets and possibly 1 to each side pocket.
No one has anything to say about this ?

justnum

Silver Member
Dan this issue is amazing. These drills are letting me know that my stroke needs work.
Thank you for your amazing writing. These printouts have been so helpful.

When is the full book being release? I will buy one copy for sure.

All other users I attached only the exercises from this issue.

1671077568066.png

Attachments

• Issue03USA.pdf
    425.6 KB · Views: 86