Equipment

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sarah,

I'm curious. What kind of cue do you play with, and what mm shaft do you play with? Do you prefer an LD shaft?

Thanks,

Matt

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are Barnhart's old growth shafts LD? I have one coming in with 3 shafts one of them is old growth, and I'm debating on whether to keep it unchalked or play with it :\

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
I do use a Barnhart as my playing cue. I switched to a low deflection shaft maybe 3 years ago. I started out with the Predator Z shaft. It worked for awhile but overall I started noticing my mistakes big time. If I was a little off, it looked like I was way off. That shaft is just way too skinny. I switched to an old 314 and liked it. Recently, I switched to a Mezz Hybrid II. I really like the way it feels compared to the Predator. It has a little bit stiffer hit and to me it seems like I can do more with the cueball.

I believe the shaft I have now I had taken down to 12.75 maybe a little bit less. And I use a Moori soft/slow.

jcommie, I'm not sure about the shaft you are asking about. I know Cory Barnhart makes a low deflection shaft that is layered somewhat like Predator (more layers though).

Sarah

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sarah, one of the shafts that came with my Barnhart is an "Old Growth" shaft that Cory made. It's a lot darker and is made with really old wood. I've heard several good things about them, one of them being that they are relatively low deflection and have a great hit.

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Interesting. I will have to ask him about them so I can get a little educated on the subject! I hope you like your new cue.

Sarah

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sarahrousey said:
I do use a Barnhart as my playing cue. I switched to a low deflection shaft maybe 3 years ago. I started out with the Predator Z shaft. It worked for awhile but overall I started noticing my mistakes big time. If I was a little off, it looked like I was way off. That shaft is just way too skinny. I switched to an old 314 and liked it. Recently, I switched to a Mezz Hybrid II. I really like the way it feels compared to the Predator. It has a little bit stiffer hit and to me it seems like I can do more with the cueball.

I believe the shaft I have now I had taken down to 12.75 maybe a little bit less. And I use a Moori soft/slow.

jcommie, I'm not sure about the shaft you are asking about. I know Cory Barnhart makes a low deflection shaft that is layered somewhat like Predator (more layers though).

Sarah

if you dig mezz shafts you ought to try their WD700 shaft. i really like mine. it's 12.5mm but plays really stiff. i'm waiting to try the new alpha shaft.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I recently got a Barnhart and it plays very well. It's the 2nd Barnhart cue I've owned. It plays as good as my Bluegrass.

The rest of my cues can be seen here: cues and cases

Attachments

• Barnhart (3).jpg
    Barnhart (3).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice. :D I have one that looks exactly like that except it's Goncalo Alves, wrapless, and has no points. It came with Cory's laminated shaft, and it's LD so it takes some getting used to for me because I've always just played with normal solid shafts. I had to adjust my aiming quite a bit to account for the lack of squirt on the cue ball when using english.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I really like the ring work.

Attachments

• Barnhart.JPG
    Barnhart.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 169