Espn 2 - pool on right now.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Soccer

Your right and yet they still won't show the whole match! LOL
ESPEW is sad!

I started watching the women matches at 12:00 cst and then the men's came on. At 4:00 cst they decided to start playing a soccer game. Its supposed to be the men's semi-final right now according to the guide. This makes me dislike soccer even more. Some Clint Eastwood on AMC makes things a lot better for me though.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started watching the women matches at 12:00 cst and then the men's came on. At 4:00 cst they decided to start playing a soccer game. Its supposed to be the men's semi-final right now according to the guide. This makes me dislike soccer even more. Some Clint Eastwood on AMC makes things a lot better for me though.

Rat Bastards did the same to me:angry::angry:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you watch the Mosconi Cup on Fox Sports for the next few weeks they are showing entire matches without editing. That's very rare for an American TV network. The trick is knowing when the shows will air. If anyone can find the dates and times that would be helpful. So far the first two matches have been shown.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you watch the Mosconi Cup on Fox Sports for the next few weeks they are showing entire matches without editing. That's very rare for an American TV network. The trick is knowing when the shows will air. If anyone can find the dates and times that would be helpful. So far the first two matches have been shown.

green rep for Fox Sports!!!!!

Jonathan01

Registered

My tv guide is showing the 2012 Mosconi Cup is showing a re-run of the 6-10-12 show being played Friday 6-29-12 from 2:00PM to 3:00PM on FSS, but that channel doesn't allow recording on my DVR.

Why do they choose to show a program at a time that most people are still at work or just leaving work, and not allow you to record it.

rrich1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My tv guide is showing the 2012 Mosconi Cup is showing a re-run of the 6-10-12 show being played Friday 6-29-12 from 2:00PM to 3:00PM on FSS, but that channel doesn't allow recording on my DVR.

Why do they choose to show a program at a time that most people are still at work or just leaving work, and not allow you to record it.

i have never heard of a channel not being able to record

ARROWCRUSHER

N/ CUE STROKER
Silver Member
I dont know what the issue is with espn or any network now a days to not ever show billiards. Theres no doubt why our sport is not a popular as it used to be in the 80's and 90's. I didnt want to use the fraze our sport dieing,,,,cause I dont wanna ever see that happen, but I thought it was funny as h-ll the other day when im clicking thru to see whats on and I see ESPN is broadcasting DARTS ...WHAT THE FREAK....:angry: Somethings wrong here.....<<< ED

Jonathan01

Registered
i have never heard of a channel not being able to record

I didn't either, but I think I found my problem, the show I was trying to record was on a HD channel, and I was trying to record it from a non hd tv. I will try it in the other room later and see.

Also, I just found a bunch of the Mosconi shows coming on in the next couple days, they are mostly all on the HD channels.

Thanks

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
???

I watched the Appleton / Japanese guy match and then went to gamble with my buddy playing one pocket. I told him I was gonna beat him worse than Appleton beat the Jap. guy . He said who the f is Appleton?

Very sad. He works at a pool hall too.

mikefeiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont know what the issue is with espn or any network now a days to not ever show billiards. Theres no doubt why our sport is not a popular as it used to be in the 80's and 90's. I didnt want to use the fraze our sport dieing,,,,cause I dont wanna ever see that happen, but I thought it was funny as h-ll the other day when im clicking thru to see whats on and I see ESPN is broadcasting DARTS ...WHAT THE FREAK....:angry: Somethings wrong here.....<<< ED

It's all about ratings. Over the past several years, pool programming has been among the least watched shows for the ESPN networks (ESPN, E2, Classic). People complain about the broadcasting of hot dog eating contests and the like, but the reality is that the Nathan's annual event typically pulls a Nielsen number in the 1.2 range (last year's event pulled 1.95 million viewers and a 1.3 rating) whereas first run broadcasts of pool are lucky to pull a third of that.

I'd love to see more pool on TV, as we make every effort to sponsor televised events, but until people with Nielsen boxes start tuning in on a regular basis, pool will not make regular appearances on any of the ESPN channels.

Raider510

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all about ratings. Over the past several years, pool programming has been among the least watched shows for the ESPN networks (ESPN, E2, Classic). People complain about the broadcasting of hot dog eating contests and the like, but the reality is that the Nathan's annual event typically pulls a Nielsen number in the 1.2 range (last year's event pulled 1.95 million viewers and a 1.3 rating) whereas first run broadcasts of pool are lucky to pull a third of that.

I'd love to see more pool on TV, as we make every effort to sponsor televised events, but until people with Nielsen boxes start tuning in on a regular basis, pool will not make regular appearances on any of the ESPN channels.

I think the reason for pool having such crappy ratings is the time they put the matches on. Nobody is watching ESPN at 2pm on a Tuesday. If they would put the games on a Saturday or Sunday, that might help.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I honestly think it's going to take having pool bring "characters" back into the game.

Sure, most of us would love seeing guys in tuxedo's playing a gentlemen's match filled with great shot-making, iron-fisted safety play, etc., but that isn't going to fly in today's world.

Allow Earl and some of the other big talkers to be mic'ed up and talk to each other. The ratings would rise. Book it.

Now, toss in some "gambling"......or however you could do it legally.....(the poker tourney's are doin' it, right?).....and then it gets more interesting.

I still like a "Pinks"-style format like I posted a few months back.

Don't get me wrong, I'll watch pool on any channel and pretty much any format where I can find it. But, I'm a diehard junkie.

Sad it is to sell out......we need to appeal to a broader market base for the health of the sport. Let it be commercialized on TV.......and the hardcore guys and gals will still play it out in the back rooms in any way they can come to an agreement.

AND, if you did a REAL reality show following Earl and his adventures or some anonymous road players.........and it was done RIGHT.......it would sell.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
Sadly, It just doesn't translate to television very well. Its not going to matter when you air it, or what you do to tinker with it... it's just not much of a spectator sport. In person, with some stakes... its pretty entertaining... on TV, not so much... This is coming from someone who LOVES the game.

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly think it's going to take having pool bring "characters" back into the game.

Sure, most of us would love seeing guys in tuxedo's playing a gentlemen's match filled with great shot-making, iron-fisted safety play, etc., but that isn't going to fly in today's world.

Allow Earl and some of the other big talkers to be mic'ed up and talk to each other. The ratings would rise. Book it.

Now, toss in some "gambling"......or however you could do it legally.....(the poker tourney's are doin' it, right?).....and then it gets more interesting.

I still like a "Pinks"-style format like I posted a few months back.

Don't get me wrong, I'll watch pool on any channel and pretty much any format where I can find it. But, I'm a diehard junkie.

Sad it is to sell out......we need to appeal to a broader market base for the health of the sport. Let it be commercialized on TV.......and the hardcore guys and gals will still play it out in the back rooms in any way they can come to an agreement.

AND, if you did a REAL reality show following Earl and his adventures or some anonymous road players.........and it was done RIGHT.......it would sell.
i agree 100% with this, I think this would gain so many viewers just because earl is such a character, people are drawn to "crazy" people. and earl would bring lots of viewers! having the players mic'd up is key!