ESPN2 Challenge...

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
How much longer will this be on as I'm on my way home soon.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
2nd semi-final on right now Orcollo vs Appleton halfway-thru. Finals between SVB and winner of this match is next.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Never seen this Diamond with the sharp corners before. To anyone watching, is that the new Pro-Am? And the Aramith Tournament balls, I like them a lot.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Never seen this Diamond with the sharp corners before. To anyone watching, is that the new Pro-Am? And the Aramith Tournament balls, I like them a lot.

Very good observation. The body looks like a Pro Am but only model I remember with sharp corner pockets are Paragons.... But Paragons have really fancy legs with curves. It could be a new model?? Or something that was specially requested by event promoters. They do make custom tables as well.

I will ask around. It does look very good :thumbup:

S. G.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
That was a great show.

It's a shame we can't see pool like that in TV more often.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We really need a designated poster that will let the forum know when pool on TV is coming up well in advance.

Any volunteers?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
done by private promoters like Matt Braun of Billiards International

Challenge of Champions on right now!

'Challenge of Champions' is a good example of a show that could be on all the time with different "themes' done by private promoters like Matt Braun of Billiards International (the co. that originally produced 'Challenge of Champions').

The lack of TV coverage in pool is only because the individuals are no longer producing events. In the 90's we had Matt Braun doing this same show, and with Don Mackey, Allen Hopkins, BCA, PBTA, and the PCA doing them as well (I even produced 12 shows with 6 of them being telivised with 3 re broadcasts).

Most of this shifted to streaming video because it's difficult to make money directly from the ESPN, it's made from using the ESPN Coverage to expand the market a few hundred thousand (people) so more cues, tables, merchandise, pool room income, etc could be made.

NASCAR's merchandising (shirts, hats, cups, cozies, etc) brings in over a BILLION dollars a year......and without TV this would not be possible, and this can be said of every major sport/game.

The "ball" was dropped in the world of pool for some reason....the good news is it was "dropped," not lost and 'Challenge of Champions' proves this is true. Great job Matt Braun, my hat's off to your "brain child" 'The Challenge of Champions'.....I believe Allen Hopkins gets a "shout out" too.

images
9780312953553.jpg
1054754.jpg
For more on Matt Braun CLICK THIS LINK

Last edited:

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member

Just found out. That model is Dresden under furniture table models.

S. G.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They had the Tournament balls but not the Tournament cueball. It plays a lot different than the measles ball they were using.

Was fun to watch, I was at Snookers playing with my son and they had it up in the player's room on the projector.

Joe Pickens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fun to watch SVB get position from the 4 to the 5 in the first match. I wish we didn't have to wait a year to see it though since it was played in 2012.

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I do not recall the first time and date espn aired this, but it has been played before. I recorded it the first time on dvr. Four great players and two great matches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fun to watch SVB get position from the 4 to the 5 in the first match. I wish we didn't have to wait a year to see it though since it was played in 2012.

It aired a long time ago for the first time just a short time after the event. It would obviously be best if it were aired live