Etiquette question: Picking up a leaning cue during shot

cwong79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct, I was searching myself. It is important to me to play my best game in every instance. Which includes being accommodating.
No harm done, just like on the table I do not let comments bother me.
While I wholeheartedly agree with easy e and his position in this thread, I also 100% agree with you that an attack is out of line. You should *not* quit pool. If you actually took what has been said in this thread and have decided to alter your behavior, then I must say I have great respect for that. It takes a lot of mental toughness and maturity to search oneself. I'm glad you posted. I always want a greater ability to focus. I also always want a greater ability to eliminate any possible thing that could possibly distract my opponent. I have been accused of sharking by taking a drink of water, eating food, etc. I make a very strong effort to not do so, or to move or speak in any way, the moment my opponent begins to get down on a shot.

Anyway rep to you.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to guess most of you panzy asses that cant focus without utter silence and a motionless environment don't have kids or a wife as you have yet to master the ability to tone things out and focus on what you want to focus on.

Much like if you have a new born baby and are the type that constantly try to keep everything quiet because "the baby is sleeping" you are doing yourself and the child a disservice. They need to learn to sleep when there are distractions and noise around them or they will never get good sleep which means neither will the parents.

Much like playing our game. If you are one of those people that always plays in an isolated place with no noise and no distractions you are doing yourself a disservice. If you can't play with a jukebox running, people getting in your way or bumping you or with people up and about doing/saying stupid things that may or may not be related to your match then you probably need to venture out of that velvet box you have confined yourself into.

If you have never had to reset the balls because someone bumped your cue causing you to hit the Que ball, then you have never really lived life. :)

I hear you, and see some reason in this. Skippy, how would you rate your level of play in pool? Just curious.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct, I was searching myself. It is important to me to play my best game in every instance. Which includes being accommodating.
No harm done, just like on the table I do not let comments bother me.

Excellent attitude! Again, respect.

KMRUNOUT

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I am going to guess most of you panzy asses that cant focus without utter silence and a motionless environment don't have kids or a wife as you have yet to master the ability to tone things out and focus on what you want to focus on.

Much like if you have a new born baby and are the type that constantly try to keep everything quiet because "the baby is sleeping" you are doing yourself and the child a disservice. They need to learn to sleep when there are distractions and noise around them or they will never get good sleep which means neither will the parents.

Much like playing our game. If you are one of those people that always plays in an isolated place with no noise and no distractions you are doing yourself a disservice. If you can't play with a jukebox running, people getting in your way or bumping you or with people up and about doing/saying stupid things that may or may not be related to your match then you probably need to venture out of that velvet box you have confined yourself into.

If you have never had to reset the balls because someone bumped your cue causing you to hit the Que ball, then you have never really lived life. :)

Couldnt agree more.

Jason<------sharking you right now.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only think that I consider a 'shark move' is standing 1 foot from the pool table directly in my shot on 8 or 9, chalking as I line up shot, then dropping the wall cue they just picked up on the linoleum floor as I draw back and drop it:groucho:

Best rolls,
-Kat

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm actually surprised that there is so much discussion over this. This isn't about what you would endure as the shooter. This is about how you should behave in the chair. Yes, shifting around in your seat, picking up your cue, scuffing your tip, grabbing your water, checking to see if balls pass, flagging down a waitress and farting should not keep anyone from pocketing balls. But, if you want to be labeled a good sport, you don't do these things when your opponent is shooting. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm actually surprised that there is so much discussion over this. This isn't about what you would endure as the shooter. This is about how you should behave in the chair. Yes, shifting around in your seat, picking up your cue, scuffing your tip, grabbing your water, checking to see if balls pass, flagging down a waitress and farting should not keep anyone from pocketing balls. But, if you want to be labeled a good sport, you don't do these things when your opponent is shooting. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Well said. I think there are some people who just want to be tough guys and call people pussies and pansy asses. Take that attitude out of the picture and people agree.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Well said. I think there are some people who just want to be tough guys and call people pussies and pansy asses. Take that attitude out of the picture and people agree.

It's not really anybody wanting to be "toughguys", it's just hilarious to hear grown ass men acting like little kids. Teacher, Sally looked at me, make her stop LMAO.
You thought about racking - you forfeit, you looked at your phone and caused me to miss WHAAAAAAAA.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just don't move... don't give him a reason. Just like a previous thread about picking up chalk, ball falls out of the return, Magic Rack, etc. I just don't make a move till it's my turn.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not really anybody wanting to be "toughguys", it's just hilarious to hear grown ass men acting like little kids. Teacher, Sally looked at me, make her stop LMAO.
You thought about racking - you forfeit, you looked at your phone and caused me to miss WHAAAAAAAA.

Yeah, I think everybody here now knows your opinion. You have no respect for etiquette, we get it.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Grown ass men should respect the game and their opponent. That is why golf will continue to flourish and pool will stay in the trenches. Sponsors pay people who act in a professional manner and dress the same way.

Try acting like that on a golf course or as a spectator in a tournament. See what happens. I can't imagine someone taking practice swings or answering their cell phone while someone else is addressing the ball.

You should want to beat someone when they are playing their best game meaning no distractions from you. That is how golf works. If you feel you have to mess with someone's head then that says a lot about your character.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

What venue do you play in? Poolroom, bar, whatever?

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally Agree. I grew up golfing but it's evident many pool players did not. I respect my opponents as well as others playing close and stay quiet and clear of their line of sight ( like when on the green) when they have the table.

I play in bars with exception of a pool room once or maybe twice a week. Two different animals. Allot of idiots out there either way.

-Kat

Grown ass men should respect the game and their opponent. That is why golf will continue to flourish and pool will stay in the trenches. Sponsors pay people who act in a professional manner and dress the same way.

Try acting like that on a golf course or as a spectator in a tournament. See what happens. I can't imagine someone taking practice swings or answering their cell phone while someone else is addressing the ball.

You should want to beat someone when they are playing their best game meaning no distractions from you. That is how golf works. If you feel you have to mess with someone's head then that says a lot about your character.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Ive already said more than once that I dont move or "shark" my opponents WHY CANT YOU COMPREHEND???? Doesn't make it any less hilarious that a bunch of you are crybabies and couldnt make a ball without "perfect" conditions. Grow up.

I play wherever the hell there's a game and i could give a rats @&& what you do while im shooting cause I'm an adult and don't let that crap bother me.

Jason<-----sharking you once again lol

Brick.Top

Registered
Ive already said more than once that I dont move or "shark" my opponents WHY CANT YOU COMPREHEND???? Doesn't make it any less hilarious that a bunch of you are crybabies and couldnt make a ball without "perfect" conditions. Grow up.

I play wherever the hell there's a game and i could give a rats @&& what you do while im shooting cause I'm an adult and don't let that crap bother me.

The question was whether putting your cue down when your opponent is getting down on the 8-ball was bad etiquette or not. It was not "would you get sharked by this".

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Again, this has nothing to do with my ability to make a ball despite what my opponent is doing. It is about respect for your opponent and the game. I expect to be treated the way I treat my opponent. It is a pretty simple concept for adults.

Why do you let opponents try to shark you or move around if you don't do the same? Do you just let them do it or say anything?

If I am gambling and someone acts like a jackass while I am at the table, I consider them bad action and won't play them again. Maybe it is a good game but money isn't so important that I am willing to put up with childish BS.

If you bet on a match and someone sharks the guy you bet on for a large amount of money and you lose, would you just blame the guy you bet on saying he should have been an adult and made the ball anyway?

Reactions: KRJ

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question was whether putting your cue down when your opponent is getting down on the 8-ball was bad etiquette or not. It was not "would you get sharked by this".

Yeah, Jason is riding both sides of the fence on this. He would never do this but he thinks nobody should complain about those that do.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, this has nothing to do with my ability to make a ball despite what my opponent is doing. It is about respect for your opponent and the game. I expect to be treated the way I treat my opponent. It is a pretty simple concept for adults.

Why do you let opponents try to shark you or move around if you don't do the same? Do you just let them do it or say anything?

If I am gambling and someone acts like a jackass while I am at the table, I consider them bad action and won't play them again. Maybe it is a good game but money isn't so important that I am willing to put up with childish BS.

If you bet on a match and someone sharks the guy you bet on for a large amount of money and you lose, would you just blame the guy you bet on saying he should have been an adult and made the ball anyway?

And this is why it's important to understand etiquette. The last thing I would want is for action to quit me because I sharked them. Lol, I wouldn't be telling them to grow-up, that's for sure.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This irony isn't lost on me. No on has ever said "we can't make a shot without perfect conditions". Not once, not ever, no one said it. Yet, this is your retort to all of us on the "shark side". So...WHY CAN'T YOU COMPREHEND THAT WE'RE NOT SAYING WE CAN'T, WE SAYING WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!!!!

Preston <--------- Thinks Jason isn't funny at all... lol

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lol. Here's what happened:

Original post: Is it poor etiquette to pick up/put down my cue while my opponent is at the table?
Other posters: Yeah it's good etiquette to just sit still.
You: WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SUCH CRYBABY PANSIES WHO CANT SHOOT!?*#%
Other posters: No we can shoot fine but he asked if it's good etiquette to sit still...
You: SEE THERE YOU PUSSIES GO AGAIN WHINING AND CRYING THAT YOU CANT SHOOT IF SOMEONE MOVES!$*#%!
Other posters: Oooooooookaaaaay.