Etiquette question: Picking up a leaning cue during shot

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Lol. Here's what happened:

Original post: Is it poor etiquette to pick up/put down my cue while my opponent is at the table?
Other posters: Yeah it's good etiquette to just sit still.
You: WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SUCH CRYBABY PANSIES WHO CANT SHOOT!?*#%
Other posters: No we can shoot fine but he asked if it's good etiquette to sit still...
You: SEE THERE YOU PUSSIES GO AGAIN WHINING AND CRYING THAT YOU CANT SHOOT IF SOMEONE MOVES!$*#%!
Other posters: Oooooooookaaaaay.

Pretty good summary, BR...
I was starting to get worried that because I consider myself a pretty reasonable guy to play with.....that it made me some kinda pansy homo commie rat that needs a wax museum as the only environment he can make a ball in.
:rolleyes::eek::smile:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The single best move in pool is the spin move.

You stand up and look around for a second like you misplaced something, maybe your cue.
It's leaning right there but you somehow overlook it and look confused.
With a look of endless puzzlement, you start heading left, pause, turn around,
look to the right, start to turn back... then suddenly, there it is! Leaning right where you left it.

Complete the turn a full 180 degrees, and grab the cue from where it was leaning,
with a look of surprised relief on your face.

At this point your opponent will have missed and you will need the cue.
Style points if you grab it with your off-hand and must then jog it to the other hand.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people who can't make the same degree of difficulty shots that better players can have a tendency to stand up and get their stick the minute you have a "hard" shot.

They "assume" you are going to miss because their experience has been that they themselves would more than likely miss it.

If that isn't the case, they are doing it to distract you purposely or they have no idea of proper etiquette.

If you stand up and start walking to the table with your cue while the other guy is still at bat, then you need to change your behavior.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people who can't make the same degree of difficulty shots that better players can have a tendency to stand up and get their stick the minute you have a "hard" shot.

They "assume" you are going to miss because their experience has been that they themselves would more than likely miss it.

If that isn't the case, they are doing it to distract you purposely or they have no idea of proper etiquette.

If you stand up and start walking to the table with your cue while the other guy is still at bat, then you need to change your behavior.

Why can't they just relax until it's their turn?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Lol. Here's what happened:

Original post: Is it poor etiquette to pick up/put down my cue while my opponent is at the table?
Other posters: Yeah it's good etiquette to just sit still.
You: WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SUCH CRYBABY PANSIES WHO CANT SHOOT!?*#%
Other posters: No we can shoot fine but he asked if it's good etiquette to sit still...
You: SEE THERE YOU PUSSIES GO AGAIN WHINING AND CRYING THAT YOU CANT SHOOT IF SOMEONE MOVES!$*#%!
Other posters: Oooooooookaaaaay.

Jason<------still sharkin ya'll lol.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Pretty good summary, BR...
I was starting to get worried that because I consider myself a pretty reasonable guy to play with.....that it made me some kinda pansy homo commie rat that needs a wax museum as the only environment he can make a ball in.
:rolleyes::eek::smile:

Now that's funny chit right there. See, it's supposed to be fun:thumbup:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
You've all covered it, but are sort of, well, missing it. Obviously half line up with man up, sharking's ok, the other half says everything in the universe should be still and silent while I take my shot.

I'm reminded of the great words of Robert Shaw, as Captain Quint, in Jaws:

"I'm talkin' about sharkin!... You got silly hands, Hooper.... You been countin' money all your life..."

And too many of you think a little bit of "sharkin" might get you a little bit more money. The lesson is simple. "Sharkin" doesn't bother a good player at all. The C and B players are really the only ones that notice, and blame it. Get over it. Get down on your shot and take it, C and B players.

But, by the way, to the professional sharkers: Remain still in your seat, until the opponent finishes his shot. Stop getting up halfway during his stroke, coughing, sneezing, raising your hand, handkerchief, whatever you do. You know the things you do. Just stop it.

With these guidelines, all will be well.

All the best,
WW

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You've all covered it, but are sort of, well, missing it. Obviously half line up with man up, sharking's ok, the other half says everything in the universe should be still and silent while I take my shot.

"I'm talkin' about sharkin!... You got silly hands, Hooper.... You been countin' money all your life..."

And too many of you think a little bit of "sharkin" might get you a little bit more money. The lesson is simple. "Sharkin" doesn't bother a good player at all. The C and B players are really the only ones that notice, and blame it. Get over it. Get down on your shot and take it, C and B players.

But, by the way, to the professional sharkers: Remain still in your seat, until the opponent finishes his shot. Stop getting up halfway during his stroke, coughing, sneezing, raising your hand, handkerchief, whatever you do. You know the things you do. Just stop it.

All the best,
WW

Where were you at post 5? This could have ended hrs ago:thumbup:

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been more sure I don't want to play anyone on AZ. Guys that never lose focus & never miss. I used to think I could play a little. But, I'll try to heed the dynamite advice of basically "suck less & focus more."

I'm copyrighting that title btw, expect a book out soon-ish for all us lowly, pathetic B & C players.

Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Y

"I'm talkin' about sharkin!... You got silly CITY hands, Hooper.... You been countin' money all your life..."

A
WW

Fixed that for ya ;) Folks can spell crap wrong, they can use poor grammar, they can be insulting at times, but nobody and I mean nobody ever quotes Quint incorrectly and gets a pass ;)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Fixed that for ya ;) Folks can spell crap wrong, they can use poor grammar, they can be insulting at times, but nobody and I mean nobody ever quotes Quint incorrectly and gets a pass ;)

I'm afraid not, chalk man. I had it right, silly hands, not silly city hands, or even city hands, as the you tube video title claims. Listen carefully, chalk man. I aint talkin pleasure pool here, I'm talkin' sharkin'. Gimmie your hands, chalk man. Hmm, you owe me some chalk for just bringin' this up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO2-LrnybZk

All the best,
WW

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

Just a couple of counterpoints. I don't think half of this crowd wants "everything in the universe should be still and silent while I take my shot." I just want my opponent to remain in the moment. To remember that he is involved in a game with someone. To leave his cell phone in his pocket, stay in his designated spot, and try not to draw my attention away from what I'm doing. AKA, be courteous. People at other tables don't bother me in the least. But one person in that place has an obligation to be courteous while I'm playing him.

My second point is about your comment " "Sharkin" doesn't bother a good player at all. The C and B players are really the only ones that notice, and blame it." That's simply not true. Earlier in this thread someone linked us to a video of Archer sharking the crap out of Wiseman in a big match. It CLEARLY bothered him, and he also used it as an excuse. I believe pros are more immune to it, but to say it doesn't bother them is ignorant.

Other than that, I liked your post!

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

I don't really agree with your assessment of who gets sharked. While I think players of all levels get sharked, it is typically the better players in my experience who seem most susceptible to this. That really only makes sense, because essentially one of the biggest determining factors of a players ability level is the level of concentration and focus they are able to put into the fine details of their game. I have seen well known pros in my home pool room complain about distractions in both big pro tournaments and little weekly tournaments. Even playing $10 sets! The top players rely on their level of concentration far more than the typical C player. So while I think it is more of an across the board thing, it is much more expected that the top players will be more concerned with distractions.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm afraid not, chalk man. I had it right, silly hands, not silly city hands, or even city hands, as the you tube video title claims. Listen carefully, chalk man. I aint talkin pleasure pool here, I'm talkin' sharkin'. Gimmie your hands, chalk man. Hmm, you owe me some chalk for just bringin' this up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO2-LrnybZk

All the best,
WW

"city" hands. Not anything else. Lol. The Jaws script is probably online.

KMRUNOUT

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

Of course it is. IMDB knows all about movies. Googling "jaws movie script" gets you to this:

HOOPER
I don't need to pass basic seamanship.

QUINT
Let me see your hands...

He takes Hooper's hands in his own big bloody fists, and
feels them as he talks.

QUINT
Ha. City hands. You been counting
money. If you had a $5000 net and
$2000 worth of fish in it, and along
comes Mr. White, and makes it look
like a kiddy scissors class has gone
to work on it and made paper dolls.
If you'd ever worked for a living,
you'd know what that means.​

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

Disagree. Shaw utters silly hands, not city hands, regardless of what a script may say, as he may have been ad-libing, which actors often do. Listen more closely. And below are a couple more references from those who also heard it correctly.

Now regarding those obsessed with exceptions, I think it's fair to say sharking affects skilled players to a much lesser degree.

http://www.btchflcks.com/2015/06/i-...men-and-masculinity-in-jaws.html#.Vr9GFbQrKt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lEnzahxKk

cwong79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to beat a dead horse a little more,

https://youtu.be/FfygzMIT_k0?t=5m6s

I did what Mika did when Dennis was on the 2 ball. Pretty much exactly how it happen but for my opponent this was the 8 ball. I was leaning against a chair and was 2 feet further from the table. I did not make any other movement. I reach for my cue when he got bad shape before he got down to shoot the next shot.

You can see Dennis getting up and resetting. I can see now how someone could be bothered by that.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now regarding those obsessed with exceptions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lEnzahxKk

You say we're obsessed with exceptions. I just felt the need to point out that there were exceptions since you used the phrase "The lesson is simple. "Sharkin" doesn't bother a good player at all. The C and B players are really the only ones that notice".

Don't exaggerate and maybe I won't "obsess" about exceptions.

You're wrong about the Jaws thing too.:thumbup: