Europe / Brexit / Mosconi Cup?

J0HN0

Registered
Ok, my apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I didn't see it.

Someone mentioned Brexit in BeiberLvr's Mosconi Cup thread & I didn't want to hijack that.

I wondered, as the team is referred to as the European team, if the UK is no longer part of the EU will that preclude UK players from competing in the Mosconi cup at some point in the future??

Best regards,

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Someone mentioned Brexit in BeiberLvr's Mosconi Cup thread & I didn't want to hijack that.

I wondered, as the team is referred to as the European team, if the UK is no longer part of the EU will that preclude UK players from competing in the Mosconi cup at some point in the future??

Best regards,

Without the UK, matchroom probably wouldn't be interested....It would probably be remade as the UK vs. the rest of Europe, UK against the USA etc, if it were to be changed. I seriously doubt that it would. They have to change the team flag, is all. They certainly wouldn't leave the UK out, that would completely ruin it.

J0HN0

Registered
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Matchroom from memory is Barry Hearne, who's a UK guy, it would seem odd for it to continue if the UK wasn't involved.

Looking forward to it...

Regards,

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think its going to cause anything too dramatic for Mosconi cup. Maybe at some point they will no longer be a part of the European Union but they are forever stuck in the same continent and hopefully that is enough to keep things going as they are now :rolleyes:

Will see :smile:

J0HN0

Registered
GEOGRAPHICALLY!
THE UK IS IN EUROPE.period - End of.
:thumbup:

Hmm, from memory there is some water between the UK and the rest of Europe, I'm fairly sure current maps reflect that, and the initial question wasn't strictly of a geographical nature (I could have brought up google maps just as quick as AZ), but thanks for the input nonetheless.

erm "End of"...

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that some people have a problem with what is EU and what is Europe. Mosconi Cup has always been Team America against Team Europe. Has nothing to do with the EU.
Last I checked UK still is a member of Europe, water or not. That would the same as saying Japan doesn't belong to Asia.

Last edited:

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure that Tony Drago played Mosconi when Malta weren't in the EU.

But since it is the USA v Europe, not the USA v The EU, it's a moot point :)

J0HN0

Registered
That seems a sensible answer.

I've no problem at all in figuring out what Europe comprises of, just was interested if the Brexit thing was likely to affect anything. If the competition remains as stated then it shouldn't be.....

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm, from memory there is some water between the UK and the rest of Europe, I'm fairly sure current maps reflect that, and the initial question wasn't strictly of a geographical nature (I could have brought up google maps just as quick as AZ), but thanks for the input nonetheless.

erm "End of"...

Mosconi Cup:
EUROPE Vs USA

NOT

EU Vs USA

DOES THIS SIMPLIFY THINGS FOR YOU?

Try visiting the EU, I hope you find it on your map...
:thumbup:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best regards,

You do know that Europe and EU are to totally different things right?...

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

erm "End of"...

There is "some water" between Norway, Sweden and Denmark too, and Malta and Cyprus for that matter, your point being??
Does that mean that players from Hawaii, can`t be on the American team?

J0HN0

Registered
Indeed, being a resident of the UK I am aware of most of the above, it was just a random thought that sprang to mind, nothing more nothing less! As I believe was mentioned earlier.
And as regards the "water" / borders reference, truth be known a lot of the UK's residents don't tend to regard themselves as being particularly "European" (possibly as demonstrated by the whole Brexit thing) much I suppose in the same way that Canadians take exception to being mistaken for North Americans or Irish, Scots, or the Welsh would resent being referred to as English.

Probably not something to get excited over, but such is life....

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed, being a resident of the UK I am aware of most of the above, it was just a random thought that sprang to mind, nothing more nothing less! As I believe was mentioned earlier.
And as regards the "water" / borders reference, truth be known a lot of the UK's residents don't tend to regard themselves as being particularly "European" (possibly as demonstrated by the whole Brexit thing) much I suppose in the same way that Canadians take exception to being mistaken for North Americans or Irish, Scots, or the Welsh would resent being referred to as English.

That brits feel special in regards to the rest of Europeans, I can understand, it has to do with history and colonialism.
But if you ask French, Spanish and Portugese people (to some extent Dutch and Belgian people too) they will all claim to be unique and to have a special place in history, separate from being Europeans. These countries all had big colonial empires, wich lead to so much of their culture and identity, that remenants of this is still obvious a century later.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member

Canadians are North Americans.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

''Ang on, mate....I'm Canadian....and I'm North American...what's the problem?

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In shock that you're a Brit :shocked:

J0HN0

Registered
''Ang on, mate....I'm Canadian....and I'm North American...what's the problem?

That should have read Canadians / USA, not north Americans, yet another continental faux pas and still in the same thread, oh the repercussions.....

Apologies....