Europeans and the DCC All-Around

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't Master of the Table include Bigfoot? Johnnyt

No. Bigfoot is a separate 16 man invitational that Jay Helfert started doing there a few years back.

Master of the Table only includes the 3 events that are open to anyone.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump.

Considering 20-year-old Thorpe has won the one pocket, a 5th place finish in banks, and his lead in the Master of the Table award after two rounds, what is the Europeans excuse now for their historically poor showing at the DCC all-around title (this year is no exception)?

At this point, the Europeans simply have no more excuses. Many of the European superstars have been competing in DCC before Thorpe was tall to see over the pool table. And yet no European has come close to winning the MOT award.

Yes, the Europeans have dominated the Mosconi Cup the last few years. But for many (including me), pool is much more than just 9-ball. So given this perspective, I don't see any European dominance over the Americans. Actually, one can give a legitimate argument the opposite is true.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
There is no excuse. There is however a reason.
Almost nobody around here ever plays 1p. Fewer play banks. That's all really.

About the same reason as why the Euros do very well in the world 14.1
tournament, the game gets played a lot, espescially in Germany.

To me it's about the same as saying the Americans aren't as good as the
English because they suck at snooker. You can't excel at something you
don't play.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The euros can only play tourney format races, and rotation games only. They DO NOT gamble, except for STEVE KNIGHT before, therefore play no other games but snooooooker.

I've been saying it for years, they are 1 trick ponies.
All of them

So I guess you've never heard of Straight pool.

Dale(who once attended a tournament won by some kid named Ortman)

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one pocket action game?.... most boring discipline ive ever watched :grin:

straight pool is the best all around game imho... too bad there are not more tournaments for it

In American pool conversational tradition "action" refers to gambling, not level
of activity.

Dale(American pool conversationalist at large)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any theories as to why a European has not come close to winning the DCC All-Around?

Another way of asking the question above is why Europeans aren't competitive in the banks and one pocket tournaments. You would think that champions such as Souquet, Hohmann, Immonen, Feijen, and Van den Berg would have solved at least one of these games by now, but I don't recall seeing any of them go deep in the banks/one pocket tournaments. Appleton seems to be the exception this year, with a top-10 finish at banks so far.

This is the 16th year of DCC's existence, so can one really blame lack of exposure to banks and one pocket for the dearth of European success at these games? Wang Can from China went as deep as Appleton in the banks, and I doubt he's had a fifth (conservatively) of the experience playing banks as the top Europeans who are regulars at DCC.

To me it just seems like a statistical anomaly that not a single European has threatened the Master of the Table title, and that there really is no big rhyme or reason as to why it has been so. Appleton, which his top-10 finish in banks this year, may be the first European to finally enter the conversation.

So this is an idea, add banks to the Mosconi cup. One pocket would be way too slow for TV most often, but banks, well everyone knows that good players bank or jump every shot right? LOL

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Bump.

Considering Shaw's runner-up finish in banks, is this finally the year that a European takes the All-Around title (or at least comes close)?

It still baffles my mind how a champion like Souquet can continue to have such unimpressive results in the banks (out in round 3) and one-pocket divisions (out in round 4) after all these years.

Well so far you've stated Orcullo won the banks & Shaw came in 2nd. Neither are right. Bustamante won the banks & Nevel came in 2nd.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know why the don't win it all, I hear that they have the best coaches in the world.

Mcdermott1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is a silly conversation overall. Let's take the top 5-10 Europeans for example. Most of whom are playing at the Derby. Appleton, Feijen, Boyes, Melling ,Shaw, Hohmann, Kazakis, etc. Now, let's take the top 5-10 One Pocket and Bank players in the US. Scott Frost, Tony Chohan, Justin Hall, John Brumback, Jeremy Jones, Josh Roberts and now even throw in Billy Thorpe.

Which of these groups of players do you think make more money in a year playing pool? The Euro's of course by a land slide. They play very smart, consistent tournament pool and I imagine do not blow their money by getting in bad side games, traveling to tournaments that will cost more than is offered to win, etc.

My point is that there is no need for the Euro's to stop doing what works for them to concentrate on bank pool and 1 pocket for one tournament a year.

End of discussion.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My point is that there is no need for the Euro's to stop doing what works for them to concentrate on bank pool and 1 pocket for one tournament a year.
You can say the same thing about the Filipinos, but yet they're always in the MOT conversation.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Euros and MOT

So I guess you've never heard of Straight pool.

Dale(who once attended a tournament won by some kid named Ortman)

I read the entire thread and there are some interesting points made by everyone.

I can only speak to my knowledge of the German's inability to be competitive at DCC and the Master of the Table. The structure and nature of German Pool is centered around the 3 basic's Straight Pool First,8 Ball Second, and 9/10 Ball 3rd. In the 80's what gambling was done,and I wrote about that in Pool and Billiards Magazine back then, was centered around Straight Pool and 8 Ball. I watched a few of these events. They were unaware of One Pocket(Ein Loch) as a Zockerspiele(Gambling Game) until the late 80's.

One of the detriments to one hole is the time it takes to play, sometimes encompassing many hours,which if you were paying table time, would be enormous. That is why Straight Pool had the upper hand. You got a better bang for the buck. One hole wasn't widely played and had no following. I showed a bunch of guys in Karlsruhe how it was played in the late 80's, and very few thought they would enjoy it. Not that it wasn't cerebral enough for the Germans, just not interesting enough to add to an already full plate of pool games.

Then there is the Banks portion. Based on my participation there, every student was taught that the bank shot is the lowest percentage shot on the table. They were to be avoided at all costs, unless you had a virtual lock on the shot. Again, the cerebral aspect takes hold and the Germans can's see a game with nothing but low percentage shots. It doesn't interest them. Perhaps, they felt it encouraged sloppy behavior and a lack of disciplined execution. Attitude counts for a great deal there.

These are a few factors as to why even Souquet,Fiejen,Hohmann and others have a penchant for playing other rotation games better and a huge drop off at One Pocket and Banks.There isn't any gambling going on with it over there, and maybe they feel it detracts from their proficiency at other skill sets.

Now, as far as the Pinoys, they have a culture of aggressive ball shooting. When you are shooting banks and multi rail shots so you can eat your next meal, you develop a proficiency...and fearlessness.

I know what you mean about Ortmann, I watched him play as a 19 yr. old. Wrote about that in Pool and Billiard Magazine,1986.

After watching Billy Thorpe in Lafayette recently, I doubt anybody will beat him at DCC for a while. He's the real deal.That kid has amazing Talent!!!

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball is same category to me as 9/10 ball. Run out games. Strategy on an amateur level, not so much on the. Pro level.
I've watched a lot of pros play bad bad 8 ball, but it don't matter, they just run out anyhow. With patterns that make you puke.

Now on an amateur level, it's huge, patterns mean everything.
I took a kid on my team to the BCA 2 years ago, great bar table 9 ball player. He wins the 9 ball singles in a cake walk. Then in the open 8 ball singles he was as clueless as they came, went no where, and was the worse player on our team.

But derby is never putting 8 ball or straight pool in. It's made for action, not tourneys. Onepocket and banks are action games. You don't see many people there matching up playing 8 ball or straight pool do you?

So let's all just make up whatever definitions are handy to pretend we've won an argument.

Your pretzel logic would make Straight Pool a rotation game - good players run out
on a regular basis.

Dale(who seldom runs out)

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We-

Any theories as to why a European has not come close to winning the DCC All-Around?

Another way of asking the question above is why Europeans aren't competitive in the banks and one pocket tournaments. You would think that champions such as Souquet, Hohmann, Immonen, Feijen, and Van den Berg would have solved at least one of these games by now, but I don't recall seeing any of them go deep in the banks/one pocket tournaments. Appleton seems to be the exception this year, with a top-10 finish at banks so far.

This is the 16th year of DCC's existence, so can one really blame lack of exposure to banks and one pocket for the dearth of European success at these games? Wang Can from China went as deep as Appleton in the banks, and I doubt he's had a fifth (conservatively) of the experience playing banks as the top Europeans who are regulars at DCC.

To me it just seems like a statistical anomaly that not a single European has threatened the Master of the Table title, and that there really is no big rhyme or reason as to why it has been so. Appleton, which his top-10 finish in banks this year, may be the first European to finally enter the conversation.

We still know some moves :wink:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one pocket action game?.... most boring discipline ive ever watched :grin:

straight pool is the best all around game imho... too bad there are not more tournaments for it

Straight pool is a great game ...for practice!

The combined elements of creativity, situational awareness and the premium placed on exact execution make 1p the best game for gambling and maybe for playing, at least at the higher skill levels