Silver Member
Never heard of it. Sounds fun. Nice article too
Thanks for sharing
Loren

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
I don't just play it I teach it. I do have a variant of the game just to make it more interesting for my students that involves the 3 ball frozen to the head rail. This is a great game that has lost its appeal to the pool world. If more people would get out of their "comfort zone" and play everything like Bottle pool, Cowboy, Cribbage, Einstein 9(I call it "ninestein" it's a game I just discovered) they may not increase their skill by a whole lot but they sure would enjoy pool a whole lot more than just playing7, 8, 9, 10, 1P & 14.1 all the time.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, also Bottle Billiards played on a billiard table. You need to make sure everyone understands you are playing Bottle Pool rules and not Bottle Billiards rules. Had this happen in the middle of a game. Got into a HUGE argument with a guy who insisted that we were playing only caroms count on a pool table.

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I used a version of this game to help teach my daughter (who was 6 at the time) the basics of pool physics. I think with fewer balls on the table she was able to focus more on what was actually happening during and after the shot.

Also, it has a certain aspect of enjoyment to it that the other games don't have. She loved the game and learned how to play fairly well.

I know what I will be playing tonight! Thanks for the post and link!

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Scanning the description it sounds like Cowboy is Bottle pool replacing the bottle with the 5-ball and tweaking the scoring a bit.

Cowboy's a fun game, I use it to practice caroms and position play.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCA rule book has the rules somewhat different and those are the rules I learned by. The rules in the article sound more like Bottle Billiards rules. The way I learned was the score had to come out to exactly 31 points to win, using the 1 and 2 balls.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes we played it all the time especially when we got bored with straight pool. Both were big in Massachusettes back when I played there.:eek: I started to play in 1966!