Everything's bigger in Texas

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Bangers"..... or the derogatory term for average Joe.... are the BACKBONE of the pool world. Of course the room owners have to cater to them.

There is nothing wrong with a 9 foot table and 5 inch pockets. If the facing angles are correct; it plays tough enough for most people. Even though there is no such thing in the billiard universe, refer to 5 inch pockets as "standard" instead of buckets. Because that what they have been for decades.

I prefer the challenge of tighter pockets, as most of us do, but we are the minority.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
"Bangers"..... or the derogatory term for average Joe.... is the BACKBONE of the pool world. Of course the room owners have cater to them.

There is nothing wrong with a 9 foot table and 5 inch pockets. If the facing angles are correct; it plays tough enough for most people. Even though there is no such thing in the billiard universe, refer to 5 inch pockets as standard instead of buckets. Because that what they have been for decades.

I prefer the challenge of tighter pockets, as most of us do, but we are the minority.
That's a good perspective to have. The dedicated "bangers" that will likely stay with the game and play a lifetime are most likely trying to get better and better. Even if they just play friends, etc. There are dozens of things most all can/should improve their game on and super-tight pockets is probably last on that list. It's not unlike performance dog training - success breeds success. There needs to be more reward than punishment to get better.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good perspective to have. The dedicated "bangers" that will likely stay with the game and play a lifetime are most likely trying to get better and better. Even if they just play friends, etc. There are dozens of things most all can/should improve their game on and super-tight pockets is probably last on that list. It's not unlike performance dog training - success breeds success. There needs to be more reward than punishment to get better.
Precisely. It's called positive reinforcement. And when it comes down to it, the"bangers" are just doing it for the fun of it. They all have( the most part), families, and probably work 40 hours plus a week.... not to mention other recreational activities. It's very difficult to dedicate yourself.

I have other interests also. I practically took the last month off of pool because of deer season... Archery and Gun season. I'm still playing fairly well for an average person. But I certainly didn't increase my pool playing abilities over the past month. There's just too little time for Average Joe.

When something stops being fun, it becomes work. I don't want that to happen. I enjoy the game too much. I do put in my fair share of time practicing though. But I also have to make a choice as to how much time I take away from my family. I try to balance it.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Tight pockets aren't responsible for killing pool but they certainly aren't helping.

My buds quit coming over after my corners were tightened up.

Another guy I know quit doing the pool hall as all the tables are too tight for fun play.

How about having 3 levels of skill in the set up of tables?: basement pool, league pool, pro pool.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Bangers"..... or the derogatory term for average Joe.... are the BACKBONE of the pool world. Of course the room owners have to cater to them.

There is nothing wrong with a 9 foot table and 5 inch pockets. If the facing angles are correct; it plays tough enough for most people. Even though there is no such thing in the billiard universe, refer to 5 inch pockets as "standard" instead of buckets. Because that what they have been for decades.

Exactly. Agree big time.

tomatoshooter

How about having 3 levels of skill in the set up of tables?: basement pool, league pool, pro pool.
Hard Times in Sacramento has at least 2 sizes of pockets. I just need to learn how to control the cue ball on the Predator cloth. I'm used to my 8' table at home that takes at least some conservation of momentum to send the ball to the other end. There, I have to seriously control the cue ball to stop it from overtravelling.

OneHandedBreak

No handed breaks too
As for that pocket, yeah it's really wide at the mouth, but try putting the balls together at the back of the pocket and it looks a bit tighter, maybe 4-1/2". I play in a league on 7' Diamonds and the corner pockets are really tapered (keystone shape), which makes a lot of balls rattle out if you don't hit them dead center. I imagine this happens on these pockets too to some extent.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pockets like that could make playing one pocket a lot more fun and certainly bank pool.
I could get a streak going banking balls on a table like that. But I suppose it’s better than
not playing. I know I could set a new personal high in straight pool playing with pockets
like this. The truth is I wouldn’t really enjoy myself because I am always looking to play on
more difficult tables rather than easier ones which apparently is popular in some regions.

Harder tables have always been more enjoyable personally speaking, not easier pool tables.
The pockets on my buddy’s table I regularly play on are the largest I’d want pockets to be.
I just can’t imagine how much easier it’d be after playing pool with pockets like in the TX photo.

Can you imagine switching tables after playing a couple of hrs with table pockets like my friend’s?
It would be absolutely stupid easy…..and that’s the last thing I want…..I really want a table to test
my skills because you never know how good you are until you encounter a table you can’t conquer.

Attachments

• 1F22838C-8A7A-423C-8E7F-145564BA2617.jpeg
    1F22838C-8A7A-423C-8E7F-145564BA2617.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 35
  • E0B7C6BC-F560-4D7C-8956-4F4C858A8225.jpeg
    E0B7C6BC-F560-4D7C-8956-4F4C858A8225.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 40