"Exercise" versus "Drill"?

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Posted a little video of mine in the instructional video section, and have since then been wondering about the correct use of the terms "exercise" and "drill" in English (note I'm not a native speaker!), or are they used interchangeably? Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David...Yes they mean the same thing. An exercise or drill can be used to 1)reinforce a concept, movement, timing or process; 2) ingrain a shot or position play/pattern; or 3) correct an error, whether it's physical or mental. There are certainly other things you can do with them too.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Posted a little video of mine in the instructional video section, and have since then been wondering about the correct use of the terms "exercise" and "drill" in English (note I'm not a native speaker!), or are they used interchangeably? Thanks in advance!

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... been wondering about the correct use of the terms "exercise" and "drill" in English ...
I agree with Scott, but I generally prefer "drill" in writing because it is shorter, and it is more specific than "exercise" which for me brings in the ideas of physical exercise as in working out with weighs and running.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Thanks! Not knowing better, I'd thus far assumed "exercise" sounds more schoolmasterly (or then physical, as Bob suggested) and "drill" perhaps referring more to something of a repetitive nature (and/or military service - LOL!).

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Scott, but I generally prefer "drill" in writing because it is shorter, and it is more specific than "exercise" which for me brings in the ideas of physical exercise as in working out with weighs and running.

How will you ever get power if you don't exercise? 19 ounces is really heavy weight.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A drill IS an exercise. But an exercise is not necessarily a drill. Drill is the more precise term and a better choice of words to describe repetitive training.