• Experience

Votes: 134 72.0%
  • Science

Votes: 52 28.0%

• Total voters

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Think of this as a wheel you need to turn. It has two handles one handle is 1 inch from the center, the other is 24 inches from the center.

Which handle do you think it would be easier to turn the wheel with?

A wheel isn't a particularly helpful example, because it's attached and stays in place, and thus allows for a totally false kind of imagination: if indeed it were possible to "push through" a cue tip 1 inch or 24 inches from the center, this would translate in greater circular distance, i.e. a faster-turning wheel (= more spin). That's nonsense of course, as the cue tip to cue ball contact is virtually the same in terms of amount of time, distance and most importantly transferred friction regardless of where it's hit, so the difference is in the lesser inertia hitting off center (= a lesser percentage of the energy going into the forward vector/impulse energy, a larger into spinning the ball - plus there's further loss of forward energy because the tip deflects off the ball).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I was trying to provide a very simple analogy in my example.

Do you really think someone who believes in movie Gods, cares about vectors, and inertia?

A wheel isn't a particularly helpful example, because it's attached and stays in place, and thus allows for a totally false kind of imagination: if indeed it were possible to "push through" a cue tip 1 inch or 24 inches from the center, this would translate in greater circular distance, i.e. a faster-turning wheel (= more spin). That's nonsense of course, as the cue tip to cue ball contact is virtually the same in terms of amount of time, distance and most importantly transferred friction regardless of where it's hit, so the difference is in the lesser inertia hitting off center (= a lesser percentage of the energy going into the forward vector/impulse energy, a larger into spinning the ball - plus there's further loss of forward energy because the tip deflects off the ball).

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think more spin comes from hitting the cueball closer to center.

The conclusion from that is: if you hit it right in the center the cue ball will spin infinitely fast in both directions and the universe will end. Perhaps we should stop all pool players before one of them hits the ball truly.

Is it April 1st already?

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I was trying to provide a very simple analogy in my example.

Do you really think someone who believes in movie Gods, cares about vectors, and inertia?

Excellent point! I'll rest my case… :wink:

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The conclusion from that is: if you hit it right in the center the cue ball will spin infinitely fast in both directions and the universe will end. Perhaps we should stop all pool players before one of them hits the ball truly.

Is it April 1st already?

I don't break rudimentary rules like such to really care about understanding them. Those who have spent much of your precious time formulating false conclusions to a very subtle aspect of the game should really consider the harm being done to someone incapable of knowing the difference.

It really isn't that hard to understand. Dose not take a PHD in physics or philosophy to figure out....unless, you got it ALL wrong. If this be the case, why would I waste my ying and yang on anyone that would mock me for merely trying to help them with a piece of knowledge? I guess being helpful is a bad thing.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, but how do you play the game? Like this? There are many facets of this game still in the fog if you apply what you said above to your game. I'm just being honest. It's like throwing spears across the river at Indians with a bunch of arrows. They'll probably get you eventually.

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Basic physics, 1st or 2nd grade? If this is what you experience from your own playing, I'll bet one could video-tape you applying so-called backhand english (= hit the cue ball farther off center than aimed).

Bet. Yeah right. I guess you guys are all good short stops. BHE? You can't even pivot if you don't understand this 2nd grade crap. I don't even know why I try sometimes.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If this be the case, why would I waste my ying and yang on anyone that would mock me for merely trying to help them with a piece of knowledge? I guess being helpful is a bad thing.
I guess you're trying to be playful and facetious. The problem is that some people are taking you seriously and do not realize that the firm, persistent tug on their leg is from you. Aren't mockers immune from mockery?

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess you're trying to be playful and facetious. The problem is that some people are taking you seriously and do not realize that the firm, persistent tug on their leg is from you. Aren't mockers immune from mockery?

That all makes sense. I can't do anything other than accept it. I'm now forever immune to mockery, especially yours. Further, let it be known that I am a man of faith!...in movie Gods.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Bet. Yeah right. I guess you guys are all good short stops. BHE? You can't even pivot if you don't understand this 2nd grade crap. I don't even know why I try sometimes.

Dude, wish you a Happy New Year!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Greetings from Switzerland, David.

For those who don't do French good, the quote above by the great French champion Roger Conti (roh-zhay cohn-tee, nasal N), is

I've wasted twenty of my best years at billiards. If I had it to do again, I would.

Only 20 years? He got off easy.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
For those who don't do French good, the quote above by the great French champion Roger Conti (roh-zhay cohn-tee, nasal N), is

I've wasted twenty of my best years at billiards. If I had it to do again, I would.

Only 20 years? He got off easy.

Hard to believe he got off at twenty. I'm already in my twenty-fifth or so year myself (admittedly with interruptions), with no intention of giving up.

By the way the translation should not be "had to", as Conti was clearly referring to a matter of choice/free will, such as: "given the opportunity/chance, I'd (gladly) start all over again."

Last edited: