Fair scruggs price?

Big Business

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What do you feel I should pay for a sneaky pete scruggs with no hoppe wings and four points with three shafts (all original) 2 x 12 mm and one 13mm that this is reasonable. It is from a friend and want him to be paid fairly. This is early 80s model in almost mint condition. I would say 96%. Hits awesome and now I know the big deal baout scruggs sneakies.

Thanks to all for their time and knowledge.

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You have raised an excellent question. timmy, I understand, isn't doing them anymore. Recall that Bob Frey used to do them for Timmy under the TS mark. If it has the old Aegis ferrules, I'll bet it plays pretty darn well. My old one did. Consider that you'd have to pay north of $300 to $400 even if you could get one made. Compare the cue to other current cuemaker's SP's and their pricing. So, what does this all mean ? Heck if I know! LOL. FMV is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller, all facts known. All that being said, if he's a friend of yours or even a nice guy, I'd expect a good price. I always try to be fair to folks I deal with.
tim

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
Value

Timi and Bob made all cues together. They were partners and are friends for life.
The rumor about Bob doing the sneakies under Timi's logo is nuts. They made all the cues together.
Figure $500 with the 13mm shaft in like new condition as a minimum. The small shafts may have little value. But another $100-$200 may be about right.
Good luck,
Nick :)

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Assuming that Bob is still building them the way he did back then, a point of reference would be that you can buy a brand new Frey sneaky for $335 from here.
Mr H

Big Business

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for all of your input. He wants $500.00 for it and I guess it would be fair. $400.00 without the 13mm shaft. Sound right?

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
557   0   0
Big Business said:
Thanks for all of your input. He wants $500.00 for it and I guess it would be fair. $400.00 without the 13mm shaft. Sound right?

THAT'S HIGH IN MY OPINION, BUT IT'S CLOSE. I'D GO 425-450 WITH ALL SHAFTS, AND 325-350 WITH A 12MM, AND THE 13MM. IF I WERE YOU, I WOULDN'T BUY IT WITHOUT THE 13MM SHAFT, THAT CAN MAKE IT HARD TO SELL.

Jigger

Lets Roll....(...(..(.(O
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Big Business said:
What do you feel I should pay for a sneaky pete scruggs with no hoppe wings and four points with three shafts (all original) 2 x 12 mm and one 13mm that this is reasonable. It is from a friend and want him to be paid fairly. This is early 80s model in almost mint condition. I would say 96%. Hits awesome and now I know the big deal baout scruggs sneakies.

Thanks to all for their time and knowledge.

This is a true sneaky without the butt capp right? If so IMO a fair market value would be around $425 max with the 13mm shaft, must be in very good straight and sound condition. Personally I wouldn't value the 12mm shafts at much, maybe $50 for both. Agree with FastNLoose, don't buy it without the 13mm shaft.

You can do an advanced search on ebay for completed auctions and see a number of recent sales - can be a quick guide but you can't always see alot of specific details.

Have seen some nice Scruggs Hustlers recently on AZB with a butt cap and close to full size shaft going for around $500.

Good luck - enjoy your TS!

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
nick serdula said:
Timi and Bob made all cues together. They were partners and are friends for life.
The rumor about Bob doing the sneakies under Timi's logo is nuts. They made all the cues together.
Figure $500 with the 13mm shaft in like new condition as a minimum. The small shafts may have little value. But another $100-$200 may be about right.
Good luck,
Nick :)

Considering the "rumor" came from another well respected cuemaker, I don't think its so nuts.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Early 80's, 3 original shafts and it's in good condition....and the shafts are straight? 500 sounds fair. Are the ferrules ivory?
MULLY
would like to see a photo

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
$525 - $575+ and worth it.

This cue bridges the gap between the earlier SPs that were made from valley house cues and the Modern SPs that Bob Frey is making now which we all will be kicking ourselves in the future for not buying now.

Some of the cues in this series had lacquer finish that chipped easily.

This one looks better than most though.

A similar cue was my everyday player for years. You know its coming.... yea it hit lights out.

MotteyFan

LET'S GO PENS !!!!!!!!!!!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Scruggs S/p

i tell you what i had one and it hit with nuts only let down on the cue was the joint of the cue is under size tell this day i still don't know why tim made the joint so under cut :(