Fargo and Handicaps

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you not play your best game? I just blow through racks on autopilot and don't even think about what I'm doing. All you guys who think you can hustle are basically sub par players who like to think they are part of some "cool club" hustler culture.
Shoot the wrong ball, push balls around and “accidentally” not leave your man a shot. Harder to do in rotation games. I’m not here to give stalling lessons. But it’s easy not to play your best and make it look like your best when you know what you’re doing. Deception is another word for it.

Best
Fatboy

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shoot the wrong ball, push balls around and “accidentally” not leave your man a shot. Harder to do in rotation games. I’m not here to give stalling lessons. But it’s easy not to play your best and make it look like your best when you know what you’re doing. Deception is another word for it.

Best
Fatboy
Here's a simple play: for an angled shot into the side pocket, hit the near point by "mistake". It's not hard to plan a safety with this shot, depending on what you are playing and where the balls are. You could even build up a reputation for missing side pockets on that side. I've been called "Side Pocket Bob" but the misses weren't intentional. 😖 And on Olhausens, hit the near point on corner pockets and hang the ball up. Curse the equipment.

I've been slow played at least once. I thought I played pretty good in the rec room, and decided to visit the pool hall in town. My opponent quickly figured out that I couldn't play position with the big cue ball and dirty cloth. He suddenly missed a lot of shots until the 7. Having seen his real game at the start of the session, I realized what was going on and watched the train wreck for a while, then retreated to the rec room with an important lesson learned fairly cheaply.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a simple play: for an angled shot into the side pocket, hit the near point by "mistake". It's not hard to plan a safety with this shot, depending on what you are playing and where the balls are. You could even build up a reputation for missing side pockets on that side. I've been called "Side Pocket Bob" but the misses weren't intentional. 😖 And on Olhausens, hit the near point on corner pockets and hang the ball up. Curse the equipment.

I've been slow played at least once. I thought I played pretty good in the rec room, and decided to visit the pool hall in town. My opponent quickly figured out that I couldn't play position with the big cue ball and dirty cloth. He suddenly missed a lot of shots until the 7. Having seen his real game at the start of the session, I realized what was going on and watched the train wreck for a while, then retreated to the rec room with an important lesson learned fairly cheaply.
I’ve never been able to manage the big CB either. Ever. Hopeless.

I’ve been slow played many times. When you can’t spot it is when it’s being well played. I was playing a guy in 94 or 95 in Hardtimes in Bellflower. Was $100 sets, I was down a set and knew I had a tough game. I had to play my absolute best (so I thought) to break even. I had won a bunch in softer action so I was stepping up. I had that part right, I was stepping up alright.

He got a call, I heard him say “I’ll finish this up fast”. He came off the lemon and I might as well have been playing Gorst. He pretty much ran the set out on me. He has me fooled the whole time. I couldn’t have won with the 5 & the pop. He ironed me out and paid the time. I didn’t recognize him, he was an east coast guy pre-internet times so he was in LA for the tourney(probably why I was there). I had no clue who it was but he had me fooled.

If you can see you’re being slow played, the guy on the lemon isn’t very good at it. When it’s good-you don’t know. Just like the dump.

Fatboy

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
whatever. complete bs imo. you never know walking in if you're the best player.

Best is interesting term, as sooner or later the Best gets their Crown knocked off their head.

Being Best is an in the moment thing, recall when Scott Frost was best 1 pocket player. Think he is still good, but no longer can be called THE BEST.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best is interesting term, as sooner or later the Best gets their Crown knocked off their head.

Being Best is an in the moment thing, recall when Scott Frost was best 1 pocket player. Think he is still good, but no longer can be called THE BEST.
Everyone has their time. Some make it to being the best or #1 but it’s temporary for everyone. Except Ronnie O’Sullivan he seem to have out ran time…..

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Everyone has their time. Some make it to being the best or #1 but it’s temporary for everyone. Except Ronnie O’Sullivan he seem to have out ran time…..

Well when it could have been my time, I was working 70 plus hours run my business.

Pool got a few hours a month at the most in those days when I was young,

Too many Pool player live on the come, never planned for the day then fall from being best to just being good.

Sort of sad that there is not a old pool player home were they can retire too.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s not sad that’s there’s no old pool player home.

There’s no home for most people who choose that life style.

Most don’t plan on failing, they fail to plan. It’s on them. Nobody owes anyone anything. This ain’t the military or Hollywood where royalties are paid.

Plan ahead and make your own spot to land when you are old-didn’t you do that cowboy?

I live with my decisions, and sure I’ve got a plan, I didn’t fail to plan and nobody gave me a head start or a soft place to land. I created both for myself. It’s called being responsible. I believe you are that too.

Fatboy<——keeping it real, no fairy tales

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It’s not sad that’s there’s no old pool player home.

There’s no home for most people who choose that life style.

Most don’t plan on failing, they fail to plan. It’s on them. Nobody owes anyone anything. This ain’t the military or Hollywood where royalties are paid.

Plan ahead and make your own spot to land when you are old-didn’t you do that cowboy?

I live with my decisions, and sure I’ve got a plan, I didn’t fail to plan and nobody gave me a head start or a soft place to land. I created both for myself. It’s called being responsible. I believe you are that too.

Fatboy<——keeping it real, no fairy tales

Yes I worked long hours, made money, put some money away, it grew, and grew. Think I’m ok.

Did not love fast, loose, and on come.

Best
Fatboy
I will know exactly how good you can play as soon as I see you walk around the table.

WobblyStroke

I will know exactly how good you can play as soon as I see you walk around the table.
This is exactly what prevents me from getting a proper game with anyone I can beat nowadays lol. I still move around like I was born on a pool table and my stroke is str8 silk. I don't play around with deliberately hiding my speed anymore as my game sputters about on its own enough and it generally falls well short of what my stroke looks like my game should be. And rightfully so since I play maybe 6hrs a week mostly socially compared to 6hrs a day of practice/competing in my early 20s. Anybody who's been around can smell that hidden gear lurking below the surface. Only problem is, it's only a hidden gear if you can turn it on whenever you want, not when it is able to hide from you as easily as from others. So now all the guys that can't unsee angle shooting and decide what ur skill is based on how you move around the table as much as how you move the balls on it have me pegged as a probable hustler to steer clear of. The only guys that want to play me are the ones who actually have the game I appear to and would kill me. Hence...mostly social games for me lol.