Favorite way to practice position play.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two ways I really like:

1st is using published drills. The reason for this, is it brings you out of your comfort zone, and may introduce new ways to play shots to you. I found for me personally, I would tend to play shots the same way, the way I knew. When I started following structured drills, the drills want you to play the shots the author's way, and often a way I was not used to playing. This immediately expanded my shot arsenal. My drill book of choice is Joe Tucker's Guaranteed Improvement. It's $11. I like books a lot better than video drills. You can keep score in the books, make notes, etc.

2nd: Break a 9 ball rack. Mark each ball with doughnuts. Take ball in hand and run out. When you miss, set up the whole rack again. Do this over and over and over with the same rack. Try different position routes. Your brain will quickly figure out which position routes are the best. This does take a lot of effort and time. I did it for maybe 15 different rack in the past couple of years. I feel it was worth the effort for me.

Most important of all IMO, whatever way you want to practice position, get on the table and do it. Often times we will see a shot on a video, or in a book, or on these thread. Say to ourselves, "yeah, that's the way to play it", but then not actually get on the table and try it a few times. I'm guilty of this myself! I think the physical act of shooting the shot is even more important than the mental act of "yeah, that's the way to play it"

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how anyone can reasonably expect to improve speed control without hitting balls into pockets- why? the speed you need on any given shot is not just dictated by how hard you stroke the cue ball- other factors include; how far is the cue ball from the object ball and OB to pocket, how much of the object ball will be contacted by the cue ball, if a rail is contacted by the cue ball after hitting the OB, how much travel is there to the rail, is running or reverse spin needed for next position route - so many factors involved in speed control.

One of the best ways to add or diminish speed without altering your basic stroke speed, where the OB is close to a pocket is to either hit the OB a little thinner or fuller

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Here is one of my favorite practice drills. It is a version of Bert Kinister’s “middle game” drill. Take ball in hand and shoot the balls in rotation 1-8. Try not to use end rail - you should be able to control the cueball to ideal angles toward the center of the table. Speed and angles are important - View attachment 576214 with the correct angle, most shots are one rail position. But when you get too steep, then two rail position is necessary.
Is that rack outline using tailor's chalk? I like it a lot, not as intrusive as black sharpie.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most important of all IMO, whatever way you want to practice position, get on the table and do it. Often times we will see a shot on a video, or in a book, or on these thread. Say to ourselves, "yeah, that's the way to play it", but then not actually get on the table and try it a few times. I'm guilty of this myself! I think the physical act of shooting the shot is even more important than the mental act of "yeah, that's the way to play it"

And when I post a shot and ask people's thoughts usually 2-3 people start the bashing and insulting.

r/DCP

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drew a 5 inch circle in the middle of my table with tailor's chalk and working on simple shots with position back to the center. It really exposes my weakness with speed control and is actually quite fun to do.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Drew a 5 inch circle in the middle of my table with tailor's chalk and working on simple shots with position back to the center. It really exposes my weakness with speed control and is actually quite fun to do.
Good for you. It should help you refine your speed control. Let us know how it goes.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate drills. Probably one of many reasons I’ll never be better than a low 500’s banger.

I do play the 6-ball ghost, though and have found it really helpful. It also gives me more confidence when I get down towards the end of any rotation game...

RacerX750

Registered
Would love to hear some of your favorite ways to practice position play.
Tor does a great job with his drills. They seem simple until you have to get the cue ball to follow the tangent line at slower speeds. The backspin has to wear off at the same time the cue ball meets the object ball. You have to hit at the correct distance below center at the correct speed with a good stroke to not only rebound at 90 degrees but also travel the correct distance after impact. It's not easy to be consistent.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
You really don't need the Chalk Circle. Just use a piece of printer paper. No mess, an you can adjust it as you improve.

Full Sheet
1/2 Sheet
1/4 Sheet

Another good one can be found here:

This is the one I go back to over, and over.....

mick hodapp

Registered
Would love to hear some of your favorite ways to practice position play.
We used to tune up in eight ball by breaking the balls & then where ever the eight ball lies you pick it up & set it on a piece of chalk on the same spot & then continue the game as normal until it's time to shoot the eight ball.at which time it would be taken off the chalk & shot at & if it was missed, where ever it stopped it would be placed back on the chalk. If the eight got knocked off the chalk during the course of the game the person shooting lost the game. We found it an interesting way to play & it certainly made you think about ball control.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far the 5 inch circle in the middle of the table has improved my speed tremendously.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
So far the 5 inch circle in the middle of the table has improved my speed tremendously.
Good to hear, keep at it.

This reminds me of another aspect to position play, the size of your target. Many play for an area, and often a rather large area. That makes it easy to "hit" and to think that you are playing good position. For practice it is better, IMO, to "aim small", shoot for a very small landing area. That way any deviation is more obvious resulting in better feedback to learn from (a little too hard, or a little too soft, for example) in order to improve. Too large a target area and you do not receive the detailed feedback to motivate improvement.

Note that I am not criticizing the use of a 5" circle target (I started with a 10" target), just suggesting that as you improve with the 5" circle consider moving to a 4", then 3" etc. target area ... ie aim small.

Dave <-- not sure this explanation is very clear, sorry