Feeling shafted...need some shafts

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a bit of a long story - I'm wondering if this is acceptable, and more importantly where to proceed from here.

I am finally collecting my set of custom made JD Cues tomorrow in Miami. (The cues are a matching father & son set, for my firstborn, due next month). I'll be flying in from overseas to grab them and the plan was to return to home with them (Jamaica). Depending on the advice of the more seasoned cue experts here, I may have to leave them and send them somewhere to have new shafts made. I will only have from Thursday to Sunday to make this decision while I am in the USA.

I did my research before choosing Joel, all of his cues looked amazing. My friends told me don't get cues made in the Philippines, but I said no worries, this guy is solid, you'll see. He began in June, I sent diagrams, with very specific instructions. He made an error on the first butts, graciously apologized when i pointed them out and started over possibly putting himself in a losing position on this job but he stressed he wanted to keep his customers happy. His customer service was beyond excellent - I really felt I was in good hands. Things stalled due to the typhoon damaging some equipment in the shop, I sent more of a deposit to keep things rolling. I was assured we'd still meet the deadline of my early Sept trip to Miami. Things still ran a little behind and I even changed my trip to late September to facilitate delays. I understand it is cue making, it's hard to be rushed. Pics of the almost completed cues were sent to me and I was asked to send the remaining balance to facilitate completion. I expressed my concerns about making payment in full before completion but sent it anyways. I pointed out some more mistakes in the ringwork on the shafts. I was a little concerned at this point because the mistakes this time were simply poor workmanship. All the rings on the four matching shafts were a different thickness/height and one of them was a different color brown than anything on the entire cue, looks like it came from a totally different piece of phenolic than the rest of the cue. All the rings on the cue were supposed to match and the rings on the either side of the joint were to be identical in size. I was thanked for pointing it out to him and was assured it would be taken care of before shipping.

preship.jpg

I still told him how pleased I was with his service and promised paying him extra if we got the cues out on time - I didn't want him to lose on this job even though I felt the mistakes were avoidable if the instructions were followed. Shipping was included in the price, but I sent more money unsolicited for rush shipping to ensure on time delivery. I asked for high res pics to be sent to me before we shipped so I could inspect them. I got my high res pics after it shipped with tracking info. A close up below of the issues I have - all four look like this.

shippedr.jpg

JONAS2222222222.jpg

The rings on the shafts were still a different color, the heights weren't adjusted perfectly and there was still some odd dark brown ring in there that shouldn't even be in the ringwork. I had assumed he was going to remake the rings. He apologized and said this is the best he could do, he couldn't adjust the height anymore because of the brass insert in the joint. As for the color, he says all the brown phenolic will darken in time and if I wanted he can still send me another shaft. I let him know I was disappointed the cues were shipped like this and I'd really rather have four new shafts made properly. I stressed don't mind paying for them, just send me a fair price so I end up a happy camper and it doesn't cost him. I'm not getting any replies from him and I have to conclude he's signed off for good on this deal. I'm pretty surprised on this, he seemed like a really good guy and seems to have many happy customers. So I'm really just cutting my losses with him and have to move on. I'm already into these cues over $1000 which was my original budget. I'll have to view it as I got the two pretty nice butts for this price and have to find some $$$ for proper matching shafts.

- Anybody have any suggestions on how to proceed getting some matching shafts done? Somebody in a similar price range of these cues. No need for a Searing or Tasc.
- Are those screwy phenolic rings really going to all lighten/darken up and match the rest of the phenolic on the cue? Two people have already told me that's not going to happen...

Sharkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had pechauer do some ring work for me on some predator blanks and they did an amazing job. They will need the butt of the cue to match them with though.

MeucciMan79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard of ring work turning different shades of color. However I have seen the clear coat on cues go from a clear to a honey glazed look! So if the clear turns to a honey glaze then sure the ring work may darken with it, but the rings will never match!

Last edited:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Well it looks like he used a variety of different rods and ring parts.

No reason what so ever they couldn't all match. Lot's of deviation in those pics, even the forearms are very differently figured. I wouldn't be happy either altho @ $1000 (USD) for all of that is pretty inexpensive IMO. Not an excuse but kinda a get what you pay for sorta thing.....

I'll be honest tho, I wouldn't put any more money into the set. It's cosmetic and it's not glaring. Most likely no one but you would ever notice out in public. They are pretty cues, really I'd just play 'em and enjoy them. Embrace their "character".

It's going to cost you probably a couple hundred to re-ring all 4 shafts up to 600+ to remake them all with any kind of decent wood. Not worth it IMO, yours may differ however. Good luck either way.

Last edited:

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had pechauer do some ring work for me on some predator blanks and they did an amazing job. They will need the butt of the cue to match them with though.

I was thinking about doing that with some LD blanks...good suggestion.

I've read somewhere here about brown phenolic darkening up a bit with age, especially after being freshly worked but can't see how they would all become the same color eventually.

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No reason what so ever they couldn't all match. Lot's of deviation in those pics, even the forearms are very differently figured. I wouldn't be happy either altho @ $1000 (USD) for all of that is pretty inexpensive IMO. Not an excuse but kinda a get what you pay for sorta thing.....

I'll be honest tho, I wouldn't put any more money into the set. It's cosmetic and it's not glaring. Most likely no one but you would ever notice out in public. They are pretty cues, really I'd just play 'em and enjoy them. Embrace their "character".

It's going to cost you probably a couple hundred to re-ring all 4 shafts up to 600+ to remake them all with any kind of decent wood. Not worth it IMO, yours may differ however. Good luck either way.

Well said RRFireblade...I had that number in my head and was debating whether I wanted to end up with almost $2000 of philippino made cues. Can't shine s**t no matter how you rub...

I'll save my money and put it towards a real custom next year. My buddies at the pool get to say I told you so!

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Phenolic does darken in time, but will it all darken and match, not too sure about all of that. I have seen higher end stuff with brown phenolic and have seen suttle light/dark differences from the color phenolic and the joint. You paid about $500 for a true custom cue it looks like, I think the cues look pretty good and 99% of the people out there could not point out anything wrong but I guess the most important person is you and whether you are happy or not. I am sure if you posted pictures without saying anything most people would have said nice cues and not have noticed the issues you are speaking about.

I have gotten many cues from Joel, there have been flaws here and there with them, most pretty minor stuff but when I am paying a few hundred for a cue with a ton of work into it I do not complain too much about it, that good old saying you get what you pay for. On the plus side his cues have been some of the best playing I have ever owned and I have owned well over 100 cues. I know some of the cues I have gotten would have cost me 3-5 times as much from cue makers in the USA and no guarantee the workmanship or timeline would be met.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member

I agree totally and posted without reading what you wrote, lmao. :grin:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
It's a bit of a long story - I'm wondering if this is acceptable, and more importantly where to proceed from here.

I am finally collecting my set of custom made JD Cues tomorrow in Miami. (The cues are a matching father & son set, for my firstborn, due next month). I'll be flying in from overseas to grab them and the plan was to return to home with them (Jamaica). Depending on the advice of the more seasoned cue experts here, I may have to leave them and send them somewhere to have new shafts made. I will only have from Thursday to Sunday to make this decision while I am in the USA.

I did my research before choosing Joel, all of his cues looked amazing. My friends told me don't get cues made in the Philippines, but I said no worries, this guy is solid, you'll see. He began in June, I sent diagrams, with very specific instructions. He made an error on the first butts, graciously apologized when i pointed them out and started over possibly putting himself in a losing position on this job but he stressed he wanted to keep his customers happy. His customer service was beyond excellent - I really felt I was in good hands. Things stalled due to the typhoon damaging some equipment in the shop, I sent more of a deposit to keep things rolling. I was assured we'd still meet the deadline of my early Sept trip to Miami. Things still ran a little behind and I even changed my trip to late September to facilitate delays. I understand it is cue making, it's hard to be rushed. Pics of the almost completed cues were sent to me and I was asked to send the remaining balance to facilitate completion. I expressed my concerns about making payment in full before completion but sent it anyways. I pointed out some more mistakes in the ringwork on the shafts. I was a little concerned at this point because the mistakes this time were simply poor workmanship. All the rings on the four matching shafts were a different thickness/height and one of them was a different color brown than anything on the entire cue, looks like it came from a totally different piece of phenolic than the rest of the cue. All the rings on the cue were supposed to match and the rings on the either side of the joint were to be identical in size. I was thanked for pointing it out to him and was assured it would be taken care of before shipping.

preship.jpg

I still told him how pleased I was with his service and promised paying him extra if we got the cues out on time - I didn't want him to lose on this job even though I felt the mistakes were avoidable if the instructions were followed. Shipping was included in the price, but I sent more money unsolicited for rush shipping to ensure on time delivery. I asked for high res pics to be sent to me before we shipped so I could inspect them. I got my high res pics after it shipped with tracking info. A close up below of the issues I have - all four look like this.

shippedr.jpg

JONAS2222222222.jpg

The rings on the shafts were still a different color, the heights weren't adjusted perfectly and there was still some odd dark brown ring in there that shouldn't even be in the ringwork. I had assumed he was going to remake the rings. He apologized and said this is the best he could do, he couldn't adjust the height anymore because of the brass insert in the joint. As for the color, he says all the brown phenolic will darken in time and if I wanted he can still send me another shaft. I let him know I was disappointed the cues were shipped like this and I'd really rather have four new shafts made properly. I stressed don't mind paying for them, just send me a fair price so I end up a happy camper and it doesn't cost him. I'm not getting any replies from him and I have to conclude he's signed off for good on this deal. I'm pretty surprised on this, he seemed like a really good guy and seems to have many happy customers. So I'm really just cutting my losses with him and have to move on. I'm already into these cues over $1000 which was my original budget. I'll have to view it as I got the two pretty nice butts for this price and have to find some $$$ for proper matching shafts.

- Anybody have any suggestions on how to proceed getting some matching shafts done? Somebody in a similar price range of these cues. No need for a Searing or Tasc.
- Are those screwy phenolic rings really going to all lighten/darken up and match the rest of the phenolic on the cue? Two people have already told me that's not going to happen...

I think thats a great looking design you have there. And btw, congrats on your new son! I was actually more surprised by the forearm wood looking less identical, but thats just me. At any rate I know it's not exactly what you paid for and I would have expected better, but I still think it's a good looking set of cues.

Is that your pool room in your sig? Very nice!

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny you guys are finding even more faults in the forearms, never even saw them. I appreciate the input, you guys are right, I guess you get what you pay for in life. I'll just use them and enjoy them, I'm just a banger anyways that likes to drink scotch and play at home mostly since there's no real scene here in Jamaica.

@Cdryden - thanks for the congrats, that is my pool room, my favourite place most days after work. I got a bet going with my buddies that it won't become a playroom!

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Funny you guys are finding even more faults in the forearms, never even saw them. I appreciate the input, you guys are right, I guess you get what you pay for in life. I'll just use them and enjoy them, I'm just a banger anyways that likes to drink scotch and play at home mostly since there's no real scene here in Jamaica.

@Cdryden - thanks for the congrats, that is my pool room, my favourite place most days after work. I got a bet going with my buddies that it won't become a playroom!

Tell your wife/girlfriend that it will become a playroom, A playroom for you and your son as soon as he is old enough to shoot!

I feel bad for making it seem like another fault of the cue. I was just thinking it should look more alike. I really like the cues, you have a good eye for design in my opinion. I am sure your son will treasure it.

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell your wife/girlfriend that it will become a playroom, A playroom for you and your son as soon as he is old enough to shoot!

I feel bad for making it seem like another fault of the cue. I was just thinking it should look more alike. I really like the cues, you have a good eye for design in my opinion. I am sure your son will treasure it.

You hit the nail on the head, when he can enjoy a game of pool, it's his playroom too.

No worries on pointing out the other faults, I'm sure I'll see everything when I see them in real life tomorrow. I honestly was naive in thinking I was going to get a 3k job for a fraction of the price...it is what is is, I'll take everybody's advice and enjoy them for what they are. We'll both treasure them, faults and all.

Thanks for liking the design - it's got our names in them too.

jonas44444444.jpg

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
You hit the nail on the head, when he can enjoy a game of pool, it's his playroom too.

No worries on pointing out the other faults, I'm sure I'll see everything when I see them in real life tomorrow. I honestly was naive in thinking I was going to get a 3k job for a fraction of the price...it is what is is, I'll take everybody's advice and enjoy them for what they are. We'll both treasure them, faults and all.

Thanks for liking the design - it's got our names in them too.

jonas44444444.jpg
Looks good to me, for $500 a cue I think you got more than what you paid for. What were some of the price quotes from US builders?

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think you got a lot for your money. I understand where you are coming from but you didn't commission black boar. The cues look fine from the pics. And differences in shaft collars aren't bad because only one shaft is used at a time. How each mate up with the cue is what is important. But the real question is....how do the cues play?

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@ Fast Lenny, I didn't get any quotes from US cue makers but my knowledgeable friends guessed at least $1500 a cue. My instructions to JD were that the rings on each side of the joint should be the same. That is my main gripe, everything else looks great. I got the cues today and in real life, they honestly look a lot better - there's no zoom in real life. The fault is still there, but it isn't as bad as they looked in the pics. The cues are all one inch shorter than asked for also. Oddly enough I didn't know another guy in the room has a JD cue, another awesome looking cue with a small fault - a ring popping through the clear on the shaft. It really is a shame, if Joel just avoided these minor faults, he'd go from making some decent cues for the money to some seriously stunning cues and they'd prob sell for more than $400, that seems to be the top price I see them going for here and ebay.

As for the hit, they hit really solid. The stainless steel joint hits more solid than the other JD cue I saw today, with an ivorine joint. If I didn't have this issue the rings on the shafts and mainly his lack of communication after shipment, I'd be raving about them and he'd have a few more customers between me and quite a few friends today who tested the cues.

I do agree with all of you guys, for the price it's still hard to beat JD's cues, and I view it as I got my money's worth, but still a slight sting of feeling a little shafted..

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand the ring thing,but I like the 2 forearms not being exactly
the same.Gives each cue a uniqueness and a feel of being a totally
custom-made cue.If both cues were balls on the same,it would be to
''production'' feel to me.Great looking cues and congrats for your
child.Takecare

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, I think you are one lucky guy. You have two one of a kind cues, and at a great price.

To me that is what having a custom cue is all about.

No one will see the flaws and if they do, so what?

One day when that boy realizes how much his dad loves him and what he has done for him, he won't see any flaws either. He will be able to say that no one in the world has a cue like his. What a great gift for your son. Be happy man. :smile:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have had many cues from Joel that I have bought and sold. I do not order metal rings from Joel because coming from PI to where I am at in the hot dry desert of Arizona they will pop as the finish shrinks some as with plenty of cue makers in the US also. The other cues with non metal ring work have been very good and I have had very little trouble but wood coming from PI to someplace dry and you are taking a chance with the shafts, he oversizes the joint which helps the butt to stay straight. Enjoy your cues! :wink:

islandracer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did forget to mention I had then made with kamui med black tips, was wondering if this and the steel joint combined would have given it a more solid hit.

I'm over any bad vibes on these cues. They will be enjoyed and will still look pretty cool for me and my son. Now if only he grows up living pool...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2