felt coming loose

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I installed a simians 860 hr on a valley table using super 77 spray adhesive as I have in the other 50 or so tables I have done and never had a problem. I got a call from the client saying that the felt had come up at the end. I went out and pulled the felt completely off Cleaned the slate with soap and water and then rinsed with water and allowed to dry completely and then reattached and re stretched the cloth. it was perfectly fine. Now I have gotten a call from him again. It has pulled up in the same spot again. So much so you can see slate under the rail. I have never had this problem before and have done hundreds of installs (about fifty or so where on valleys) and have never had any problems like this before, and i am not sure what is wrong.

Any Ideas? Im thinking maybe a bad batch of glue or something but who knows. Any ideas?

All i know is if i stretch this again i won't have another chance so whatever i do has to be the last time i do it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance.
George

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I installed a simians 860 hr on a valley table using super 77 spray adhesive as I have in the other 50 or so tables I have done and never had a problem. I got a call from the client saying that the felt had come up at the end. I went out and pulled the felt completely off Cleaned the slate with soap and water and then rinsed with water and allowed to dry completely and then reattached and re stretched the cloth. it was perfectly fine. Now I have gotten a call from him again. It has pulled up in the same spot again. So much so you can see slate under the rail. I have never had this problem before and have done hundreds of installs (about fifty or so where on valleys) and have never had any problems like this before, and i am not sure what is wrong.

Any Ideas? Im thinking maybe a bad batch of glue or something but who knows. Any ideas?

All i know is if i stretch this again i won't have another chance so whatever i do has to be the last time i do it.

Thanx in advance.
George

For what it's worth, I never...never...never use spray glue to install a bed cloth on any table as I only use Fast-Bond10 so I never have any failure in holding the cloth in place....stretched way tighter that you would ever be able to stretch it sir;)

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Cloth

Sounds like you are in a pickle.....once you use spray glue on the cloth there is no going back to scotchweld-10.
I suggest you use the 77 like contact cement, applying 77 to both surfaces, the index is already done by the previous 77 marks on the cloth.
A edge glue of 77 will not hold, simonis is thick heavy yarn with a strong weave. It's like a very strong spring and it's pulling itself to relax.
If you want to see how simonis suggest to use spray glue on their cloth I suggest you buy the DVD from Seyberts and you'll get a good stretch pattern as well.

Best of luck

Rob.M

Thanx in advance.
George

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you are in a pickle.....once you use spray glue on the cloth there is no going back to scotchweld-10.
I suggest you use the 77 like contact cement, applying 77 to both surfaces, the index is already done by the previous 77 marks on the cloth.
A edge glue of 77 will not hold, simonis is thick heavy yarn with a strong weave. It's like a very strong spring and it's pulling itself to relax.
If you want to see how simonis suggest to use spray glue on their cloth I suggest you buy the DVD from Seyberts and you'll get a good stretch pattern as well.

Best of luck

Rob.M

Thats how i do it. I spray about 3 inches in on the slate then the side. then i spray the felt. then i let dry for a little bit then i stick them together. once its on it usually won't pull free. This one keeps pulling free and in the same spot. I don't get it. I have used this method every time I've had a glue table (as opposed to a staple table ) and i have never had any problems.

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
I spray about 3 inches in on the slate then the side.

What do you do about all the build up on top of the slate after years of glue....I just had to spend a week scraping old glue off bar boxes because of this method. Use the right glue for the job and you wont have this problem, and the next mechanic that comes behind you wont be cussing you out, at least for that reason.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
Maybe the spray glue isn't mixing with the previous glue. You should scrap the old glue off next time. I no longer use spray glue for bed-cloth but when I did I preferred #76 or #74 over #77.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you do about all the build up on top of the slate after years of glue....I just had to spend a week scraping old glue off bar boxes because of this method. Use the right glue for the job and you wont have this problem, and the next mechanic that comes behind you wont be cussing you out, at least for that reason.

When I do a table i always scrape it and clean it to get it back to original. It takes a while but it looks better and you get better cohesion with the cloth. So what prey tell is the right glue for the job the guy that taught me always used super 77. I always thought it WAS the right glue for the job.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Thanx in advance.
George

Also, Jay demonstrated installing the bed cloth on the valley table his way, not mine for a reason, which is ok. I demonstrated how to recover rails step by step.