Ferrule glue experiment

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I had an idea and decided to try an experiment. Thought I would share. I have seen some great seamless ferrules. Most people say use epoxy. Some say wood glue if you can do super clean threading.

Currently I do not have live threading capabilities. Using epoxy with slip-on or compression threads often leaves a visible glue line. The ferrule is flush and as tight as possible. There is nothing wrong with the ferrule, it is just a visual problem. From experience and reading AZB, the end grain absorbs the epoxy and creates the line.

I had two ideas.
  1. Use wood glue to seal the end grain to block the epoxy.
  2. Add white resin pigment to the epoxy to blend it in.
I glued 4 ferrules
  • Just epoxy
  • Wood glue seal and epoxy
  • White epoxy
  • Wood glue seal and white epoxy
They are not super pretty since I didn’t sand to finish quality. I just wanted to see the line.

Result
  • Epoxy as usual has a visible line
  • Wood glue seal at first appeared to not work. I noticed the ferrule did not seat flush while clamped.
  • White epoxy looks way better, but it also may have been slightly off.
  • Wood glue and white epoxy looks the best
Unfortunately I had to leave for a tournament and in my rush I did not verify the ferrules were flush. I plan cut off and redo the two to be sure. Can I just use the wood or just the white or is both better?

IMG_8026.jpeg

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8035.jpeg

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If it's press fit, it will eventually develop a gap.
If you make your own threaded ferrules, and thread the tenon and ferrule with the same threader, you have a much better chance of making a perfect fit. Or close to.
PS
If you use wood glue, use an outdoor version.
Non-tinted powder show ugly line.
5 minute are the worst at it

Attachments

• IMG020240217_234726.jpeg
    IMG020240217_234726.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 53

R2PQZ

I had an idea and decided to try an experiment. Thought I would share. I have seen some great seamless ferrules. Most people say use epoxy. Some say wood glue if you can do super clean threading.

Currently I do not have live threading capabilities. Using epoxy with slip-on or compression threads often leaves a visible glue line. The ferrule is flush and as tight as possible. There is nothing wrong with the ferrule, it is just a visual problem. From experience and reading AZB, the end grain absorbs the epoxy and creates the line.

I had two ideas.
I glued 4 ferrules
  • Just epoxy
  • White epoxy
They are not super pretty since I didn’t sand to finish quality. I just wanted to see the line.

Result
  • Wood glue seal at first appeared to not work. I noticed the ferrule did not seat flush while clamped.
Unfortunately I had to leave for a tournament and in my rush I did not verify the ferrules were flush. I plan cut off and redo the two to be sure. Can I just use the wood or just the white or is both better?

View attachment 749156

View attachment 749157

View attachment 749158
I face shaft and ferrule with a razor sharp high speed cutter. If the bit gets dull there will be a glue line. Don't know if carbide bit can be sharpened to a sharp point.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I face shaft and ferrule with a razor sharp high speed cutter. If the bit gets dull there will be a glue line. Don't know if carbide bit can be sharpened to a sharp point.
There are inserts with .003" tip

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
If it's press fit, it will eventually develop a gap.
If you make your own threaded ferrules, and thread the tenon and ferrule with the same threader, you have a much better chance of making a perfect fit. Or close to.
PS
If you use wood glue, use an outdoor version.
Non-tinted powder show ugly line.
5 minute are the worst at it
Thanks Joey. Yours always look great.

If I don’t or can’t thread with the compression threader I put grooves on the tenon and inside the ferrule to help keep it from moving.

I used a liquid pigment and JB clear 5 minute for the experiment. I wanted to use the 5 minute because it shows the most to see if it could be reduced or eliminated.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I had two ideas.
I glued 4 ferrules
  • Just epoxy
  • White epoxy

Result

View attachment 749156

View attachment 749157

View attachment 749158

Thanks for the interesting experiment. I obviously haven’t tested this, but by sealing the end grain aren’t you eliminating one of the holding surfaces for the epoxy and increasing the risk of separation?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I seal the end grain with a thin CA, then hit it with accelerator. Then lightly reface and use system 3, 5 minute epoxy and the glue line issue seems resolved. I use the 5 minute as in my opinion, ferrules need to be changed at times. I thread mine, and have never had one come loose down the road.
As fars as Kling&Allens question "I obviously haven’t tested this, but by sealing the end grain aren’t you eliminating one of the holding surfaces for the epoxy and increasing the risk of separation?" If you don't seal the end grain, the glue basically sucks into the wood fibers and IMO, developes a glue starved joint. By sealing it, the glue has a more solid surface to bond to.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to mix white shoe polish in the epoxy for ferrules and it pretty much eliminated the glue line. Then I started threading the ferrule almost all the way on leaving the shoulder face dry until about three minutes in on he five minute epoxy and then tightening the ferrule the rest of the way down after the epoxy was just starting to set. This has produced pretty good results and that old white sneaker shoe polish has disappeared where I used to buy it. I never tried the white epoxy with the delay in final thread lock down method, but I think it would solve all problems.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I used to mix white shoe polish in the epoxy for ferrules and it pretty much eliminated the glue line. Then I started threading the ferrule almost all the way on leaving the shoulder face dry until about three minutes in on he five minute epoxy and then tightening the ferrule the rest of the way down after the epoxy was just starting to set. This has produced pretty good results and that old white sneaker shoe polish has disappeared where I used to buy it. I never tried the white epoxy with the delay in final thread lock down method, but I think it would solve all problems.

Another interesting idea.
I re-did the experimental ferrules earlier today (well yesterday at this point). Once I clean them up I’ll repost the pictures.
This is the pigment I tried. No particular reason just picked from one of the many available. It only took a tiny drop.

IMG_8052.jpeg

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Update:
Here they are after redoing the middle two. Close-up they appear to get progressively better. To the naked eye the bottom two are hard to say much is different. Well maybe slightly but both are good.

Maybe someday I’ll do the same but thread them. For now I am definitely going to add the white and experiment with the wood glue as I go.

IMG_8056.jpeg

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Thread the ferrule and use Tbond and you will not have any lines expect a transition line from wood to ferrule.
The two faces must also be clean, flat and smooth.
Exception: There are a couple different ferrule materials that are what I'll call "translucent" and you will have a ghost line now matter what you do.
It may look like a glue line but it isn't really.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Thread the ferrule and use Tbond and you will not have any lines expect a transition line from wood to ferrule.
Exception: There are a couple different ferrule materials that are what I'll call "translucent" and you will have a ghost line now matter what you do.
I know what you mean. I really dislike the Aegis ferrules for that and other reasons.

I mostly use Tomahawk. These were just cheapo fiber ferrules. I know they look pretty rough, but I was verry careful while facing everything off. That was the important part, I wasn't worried about the appearance as much for the test.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I know what you mean. I really dislike the Aegis ferrules for that and other reasons.

I mostly use Tomahawk. These were just cheapo fiber ferrules. I know they look pretty rough, but I was verry careful while facing everything off. That was the important part, I wasn't worried about the appearance as much for the test.
I commend you for doing tests to see what the results are. Most just come on here asking "how do I do this?" "I only have one piece of wood and don't want to waste it"
The end result of doing your own testing is priceless. There is a corner in my shop filled that is the end result of almost 30 yrs of testing stuff.
People will dig thru and ask what is this? I have to tell them put it back it's a piece junk and not for you.
If you're going to slip fit your ferrules it's pretty obvious which one in your picture has the best end result as far as appearance goes.
As far as longevity.........only time will tell.

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In post 139 of a thread dealing with low deflection ferrules for carbon shafts, joey said: . . . "Hey Henry, you really have no clue what's going on . The most popular ferrule configuration is 5/16 18 at 1" long and capped . Even at 5/16, and no thread , mine is still lighter . High deflection ferrules ? Good Lord . You think making a pressfit thin wall ferrule speaks better for your cue making abilities ???? WTH? Anybody can do that . Go ahead, make yours with thin wall and pressfit them . Let's see how long till you see glue ring at the bottom and that slip-on move" . . . .
Obviously joey doesn't understand what a glue line is. He believes it's a result of the ferrule coming loose. I wanted to comment on that but that thread got closed.

In the present thread a glue ring is properly attributed to adhesive soaking into wood end grain at the ferrule/shaft glue joint. Diver has done a neat experiment IMO and you can definitely see how colorants can lessen the glue ring. Diver's experiment is also noteworthy in that it shows that the glue ring has nothing to do with whether or not the ferrule is threaded. This is obvious since diver's ferrules were held in place during glueup using clamps (rather than threads). Those clamps IMO would produce adequate force to eliminate the glue ring (like threads supposedly do).

I want to reemphasize that I shot A LOT of pool using Predator Z2 shafts. They have thin walled, slip on ferrules. I never had a ferrule come loose during YEARS of that usage. Based on that I see no reason to thread a ferrule. The fact is, a threaded ferrule has more mass and contributes to additional deflection. And, now, this thread has properly eliminated the myth that a threaded ferrule mitigates the glue ring.

Finally, I recall that Joe Barranger, years ago, said that the reason he used West System 205(?) hardener was because it eliminated the glue ring. He said this in one of his videos I believe.

snookered_again

if you want to dye epoxy , i'd use either a product made for that as posted above , or a powder like this:

the epoxy cures by chemical reaction, if you go adding oil based products, like shoe polish, it can cause issues with strength or may not even harden because it's completely incompatible.
Plastic shops, fiberglass shops retail epoxy related chemicals , they are good people to go to with such chemical related questions.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Ivor-X was one of those that had translucent bottom.
And, unfortunately, it did not like wood glue .
Threading has another advantage over slip fit in squaring the bottom as you know, but that might set off others.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Looks like my obsessed stalker is clueless to the fact that Pred is infamous for slipping and cracking ferrules.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I commend you for doing tests to see what the results are. Most just come on here asking "how do I do this?" "I only have one piece of wood and don't want to waste it"
The end result of doing your own testing is priceless. There is a corner in my shop filled that is the end result of almost 30 yrs of testing stuff.
People will dig thru and ask what is this? I have to tell them put it back it's a piece junk and not for you.
If you're going to slip fit your ferrules it's pretty obvious which one in your picture has the best end result as far as appearance goes.
As far as longevity.........only time will tell.
I agree hands on experience is the best teacher and I am learning from my many mistakes. I am also guilty of asking a question here and there without trying first, but only when I am at a total loss on where to even begin. I really appreciate all the help and advice I have received so far. Even though I am just a hobbyist at this point I have too much pride in my work and respect for the true cue-maker/artists to just be a recreational hack. I learned from my Dad that no matter how good you are at something, you can always learn more.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
In post 139 of a thread dealing with low deflection ferrules for carbon shafts, joey said: . . . "Hey Henry, you really have no clue what's going on . The most popular ferrule configuration is 5/16 18 at 1" long and capped . Even at 5/16, and no thread , mine is still lighter . High deflection ferrules ? Good Lord . You think making a pressfit thin wall ferrule speaks better for your cue making abilities ???? WTH? Anybody can do that . Go ahead, make yours with thin wall and pressfit them . Let's see how long till you see glue ring at the bottom and that slip-on move" . . . .
Obviously joey doesn't understand what a glue line is. He believes it's a result of the ferrule coming loose. I wanted to comment on that but that thread got closed.

In the present thread a glue ring is properly attributed to adhesive soaking into wood end grain at the ferrule/shaft glue joint. Diver has done a neat experiment IMO and you can definitely see how colorants can lessen the glue ring. Diver's experiment is also noteworthy in that it shows that the glue ring has nothing to do with whether or not the ferrule is threaded. This is obvious since diver's ferrules were held in place during glueup using clamps (rather than threads). Those clamps IMO would produce adequate force to eliminate the glue ring (like threads supposedly do).

I want to reemphasize that I shot A LOT of pool using Predator Z2 shafts. They have thin walled, slip on ferrules. I never had a ferrule come loose during YEARS of that usage. Based on that I see no reason to thread a ferrule. The fact is, a threaded ferrule has more mass and contributes to additional deflection. And, now, this thread has properly eliminated the myth that a threaded ferrule mitigates the glue ring.

Finally, I recall that Joe Barranger, years ago, said that the reason he used West System 205(?) hardener was because it eliminated the glue ring. He said this in one of his videos I believe.
Ok as a fly on the wall, that thread was informational as well as entertaining. Some aspects of cue making are just personal preference, style, habitual processes, years of experience (good and bad), historical lore which may be outdated and now internet misinformation adds to the mix.

I appreciate and learn from all of the information that came from your argument, keep on topic and please don't get my thread shut down lol.

I wouldn't say this eliminates the threaded versus non-threaded ferrules mitigates the glue line. Yes, you cannot see the line, but that does not mean it is not there. I did not do an experiment with threaded ferrules, so I am missing that data to compare this to. There are plenty of examples of cue makers that are able to eliminate the glue lines with their technique of choice. As I said above, I currently do both depending on the situation. I am doing mostly repairs on all kinds of cues and only a few new shafts, so I have not fully settled on my preference.

I agree a lighter ferrule will reduce deflection, but in my limited opinion the small amount of extra ferrule material (if you are not using some heavy ass material) isn't going to affect you that much. My normal cue right now has a Pechauer Pro+ LD shaft. My conversion cue I keep at the bar has a regular shaft with a 1" ferrule. I feel I play the same with both, so whatever difference there is I must adjust to it quickly. So, the tiny difference in the thinner walled ferrule shouldn't affect the player that much.

Not questioning your reasoning on this or the experience with your Predator ferrule, but so far, the repairs I have done that have excessive ferrule damage have been shafts like Predator and OB (see examples) Of course, thicker ferrules have cracked but not shattered or snapped off making them unusable. I'm not counting bar cues since they are abused and usually have cheap ferrules on them. 100% of all ferrules I have worked on that are loose are not threaded. This is why if I am doing a non-threaded ferrule, I always make circumferential groves to make a glue lock. This is difficult to do if the ferrule walls are already very thin. I think the benefits of a thicker ferrule out weight the cons of a very thin-walled ferrule just to get a slight decrease in deflection.

IMG_4430.jpeg

IMG_6540.png

IMG_5671.png

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Ivor-X was one of those that had translucent bottom.
And, unfortunately, it did not like wood glue .
Threading has another advantage over slip fit in squaring the bottom as you know, but that might set off others.
Yea...I wasn't a fan of the Ivorx for that reason.