Ferrule Issues (Nylon, PVC)

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi gents,

10 years ago I installed new standard ferrules on some one-piece-cues and put them away (never played with them).

Yesterday I took a look at the cues and most of the ferrules got obvious cracks.

All ferrules are slip-on type and capped. Some have screw-on cue tips, others have glued tips.

They are made of Nylon (the ones with screw-on-tip) and PVC.

I don’t kow when the cracks arised.

What could be the reason for the cracks? Maybe faults in the material, aging or wrong installation? As said, they have never hit a ball.

I want to replace all the ferrules (also the ones with no cracks) but don’t want to spend much money for high end materials like Aegis, Ivorite etc. Could ABS plastic be a good choice? Somebody said, that ABS is more robust than Nylon and PVC. Is this right? Does ABS work well with epoxy?

Here are some pics:

Any input appreciated.
Olaf

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is only a guess, but could it be that the epoxy had no room to expand?

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim,

the ferrules have a hole the excess glue can squeeze through.

NB no expanding glue was used.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10 years ago on the install and you put them away. what kind of temperatures were they exposed to where you had them stored?
P.S aren't you the guy I bought the tip centering tool from? Still use it and it works great!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Pure nylon and pvc ferrules are supposed to crack.
People use house cues to break with .
Use cheap fiber if you want to stay cheap .

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you bought it from me.
Stored the cues safe with no significant ups and downs in temperature, and no sunlight.
Placed them in the corner; cues are still straight and smooth (thank's for good quality Dufferin).

Thank's for your hint with Fiber. What's the correct name for this stuff (looking for rods)?

What do you guys think of ABS?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Yes, you bought it from me.
Stored the cues safe with no significant ups and downs in temperature, and no sunlight.
Placed them in the corner; cues are still straight and smooth (thank's for good quality Dufferin).

Thank's for your hint with Fiber. What's the correct name for this stuff (looking for rods)?

What do you guys think of ABS?

ABS is what the old Meucci ferrules are, they split if you look at them wrong - very soft material

Look up "fiber ferrules" - they are inexpensive, or buy a cheap rod of something and make your own

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what use you need it for Olaf. But I do alot of house cues and Juma is cheap, durable and very easy to work with. ABS in my experience cost about the same as Juma, but it's fragile and doesnt glue all that well.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi gents,

10 years ago I installed new standard ferrules on some one-piece-cues and put them away (never played with them).

Yesterday I took a look at the cues and most of the ferrules got obvious cracks.

All ferrules are slip-on type and capped. Some have screw-on cue tips, others have glued tips.

They are made of Nylon (the ones with screw-on-tip) and PVC.

I don’t kow when the cracks arised.

What could be the reason for the cracks? Maybe faults in the material, aging or wrong installation? As said, they have never hit a ball.

I want to replace all the ferrules (also the ones with no cracks) but don’t want to spend much money for high end materials like Aegis, Ivorite etc. Could ABS plastic be a good choice? Somebody said, that ABS is more robust than Nylon and PVC. Is this right? Does ABS work well with epoxy?

Any input appreciated.
Olaf

Even if you used a non-expanding glue for the mechanical joint and had glue relief, if the alignment shoulder didn't have enough room at the bottom of the ferrule or wasn't square you would see a crack come from the bottom. That will happen no matter what the ferrule is made from. This one is LBM capped and threaded and did the exact same thing. Could have also been heat / cold as mentioned. It's a weak material so it wouldn't probably take a significant swing in temp to make it happen.

Attachments

• crack ferrule.jpg
    crack ferrule.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, ABS is not the way to go.

Bumlak,
I see, the crack in the ferrule carries over to the wood. Did this all happen in gaming operations or without outside influences?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Bumlak,
I see, the crack in the ferrule carries over to the wood. Did this all happen in gaming operations or without outside influences?

That's a mineral streak in the wood, probably a much harder area that cracked the ferrule.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bumlak,

Sorry the forums have been down. Actually that isn't a crack in the wood. It's actually just a really nasty sugar or mineral mark. This was on a customers break cue. I think it was an Action or some such thing.

Erich

cuetips1000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank’s for clarification, Erich.

I guess, for a tight fit, the tenons were to thick or the bore of the ferrules were too small. So the plastic was under a permament stress that caused the fissures over time. Other explanation could be expanding glue, that built up pressure. I said I didn’t have used expanding glue, but that could be a mistake; turned off one cracked ferrule and the residues look like Gorilla glue.

Whatever, I will replace all the slip-on ferrules through threaded and capped ones to avoid such stress; and no expanding glue. Real grind for over 40 cues.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank’s for clarification, Erich.

I guess, for a tight fit, the tenons were to thick or the bore of the ferrules were too small. So the plastic was under a permament stress that caused the fissures over time. Other explanation could be expanding glue, that built up pressure. I said I didn’t have used expanding glue, but that could be a mistake; turned off one cracked ferrule and the residues look like Gorilla glue.

Whatever, I will replace all the slip-on ferrules through threaded and capped ones to avoid such stress; and no expanding glue. Real grind for over 40 cues.

Chris Hightower and Eric Crisp actually were the ones who got me thinking straight about it. I had NEVER...in 20 plus years of repair had one come back like that. I think we all get maybe a little lax from time to time but I had no idea that not having enough clearance at the shoulder could basically act like a splitting maul.