Final Thoughts on 2014 Mosconi Cup

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You hit the nail on the head. I watched all the matchs and the U.S. won only two lags out of 16. Pros will usually run out a fairly high percent of the time so, the U.S. Is playing from behind right from the being. All euro has to do is hold their serve and they win! For example, (math is guess work) euro won the lag 14 times assume they run out 40 % of the time they are ahead 6 games. Then they win 45% of the remaining 8 games giving them a total of 9 to 10 games, they only have to win 2 more games to win the cup.
The morrow of the story is practice the lag or push for a coin flip.

Here's a classification of the 16 match wins according to which side broke in the first game of the match and which side won the first game of the match:

EUR's 11 match wins
• 4 -- EUR B&R 1st game
• 2 -- EUR broke and won 1st game, but not by B&R
• 3 -- EUR broke and lost 1st game
• 2 -- USA broke and lost 1st game

USA's 5 match wins
• 4 -- EUR B&R first game
• 1 -- EUR broke and won 1st game, but not by B&R

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a classification of the 16 match wins according to which side broke in the first game of the match and which side won the first game of the match:

EUR's 11 match wins
• 4 -- EUR B&R 1st game
• 2 -- EUR broke and won 1st game, but not by B&R
• 3 -- EUR broke and lost 1st game
• 2 -- USA broke and lost 1st game

USA's 5 match wins
• 4 -- EUR B&R first game
• 1 -- EUR broke and won 1st game, but not by B&R

Wow! USA never won a match on their lag! Would not of guessed that.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
Jim, thanks for the post. I hope you are still reading this thread.

I like your commentary, good job.

I have not read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been discussed. It seems to me that the Americans had much more difficulty adapting to the speed of the cloth than the Europeans. I have the impression that the various European tours would play in venues with tables that were installed for those specific tournaments and thus the Euro players are much more accustomed to adjusting to such fast cloth. Whereas American players are mostly playing in pool rooms with cloth that is not new. Feasible theory?

Also, why no Jay Halfert commentating at this years cup? I hope he'll be back.

Fatz

Got back home and wanted to share some of my thoughts on what in my opinion, was one of the best Mosconi cups ever. The event gets better every year and it amazes me how Matchroom and SKY Sports continue to put forth this kind of effort year after year and find ways to make this event the best on the planet, bar none.

I wanted to address a few points from an inside perspective if you will.

Firstly, I honestly believe in all of my 21 years attending and working at this event, that the USA is making the right moves towards securing a brighter future for their sport in America. The Varners, Stricklands and Archers have laid a foundation that the younger players now have to build on. Anybody that doesn't think these players who represented the USA didn't deserve to be there just needed to see what I saw. And remember "experience is what you get when you needed it". The younger players will be that much better for this event and trust me, they will tell all of their friends and anybody that asks them that they have no idea what its like over there, none. Words can't describe the feeling these guys lived in real time. And John Schmidt was as classy as any USA fan could ever have asked for, he never once refused to support the team or be there for encouragement. Of course he didn't play his game, hardly any of the Americans did, but he nor his team mates didn't quit on the team philosophy at any time and THAT is why Mark Wilson picked them. They brought respect and honor to the sport and that is where it all needs to start again.

With regards to Shane and his performance over there. Have you ever seen Shane getting out of his chair and talking to his fellow players like that before, ever? He bought into what Mark has selling and that was clearly shown. He racked balls for the players for hours and helped them all work on the break. He became a leader there, not a role Shane has ever had in a Mosconi Cup. But he will grow into it and make every American proud, just wait and see.
His performance was muted by the format and that is the simple truth. A man can beat a thoroughbred horse in a 100 yard dash, stretch it out a bit and good luck to that man. Shane is a thoroughbred - period!

Its tough to explain but I can only put it down to the fact that team Europe gel and accept the team event concept a bit better than the USA does. This is something that Mark and his team will certainly be addressing from today on. But it will be addressed make no mistake.

But the sport of pool was the winner here and for that we just have to thank Matchroom Sport and Sky TV. If we had more events like this in a calendar year how easy would it be to sell this game to corporate America.

Next one looks to be back in Vegas. I expect preparations will be starting for Mark Wilson very soon in 2015. I hope all the fans in the US can get behind him and his team as they start the next journey. Its a process and I for one like the way the building blocks are starting to form.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and I hope that by sharing mine I have shed a bit more light on things. Being there allows one to see a bit more than what TV might allow. They don't call it the Tower Circus for nothing - thats something I learned.

And finally a shameless plug for my new club set to open in about a weeks time. It is called the Corner Bank and will be located in Toronto. It boasts three - 12 food screens, sixteen - 60 inch tv monitors, a 60 foot bar along with 28 Diamond tables and 8 professional snooker tables all waiting to be occupied. If your ever up that way stop in for a beer and a game.

All the very best over the holidays. Health and Prosperity to all!

Jim Wych

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every one of the Mosconi matches were sprint races. Our team was not built for that type of match. A lot of heat is placed on everyone and very early in the match. I don't pretend to have any knowledge on how to prepare for that type of match but this much I believe and that is SVB isn't a sprinter and neither is Corey. There has to be some training module and methods to properly prepare for these matches. Obviously the Euros have done their homework.

onepocket1

Champion Sweater
Silver Member
Every one of the Mosconi matches were sprint races. Our team was not built for that type of match. A lot of heat is placed on everyone and very early in the match. I don't pretend to have any knowledge on how to prepare for that type of match but this much I believe and that is SVB isn't a sprinter and neither is Corey. There has to be some training module and methods to properly prepare for these matches. Obviously the Euros have done their homework.

I agree 100%. Short races are presure packed and require a different mind set than longer races.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every one of the Mosconi matches were sprint races. Our team was not built for that type of match. ...

Sorry, but I don't really see that. Although some of the USA players may have engaged in long gambling matches more than some of the EUR players, they have all played in a zillion short-race tournaments (races to 11, 9, 7, and less). I'm not aware of the main pool events in Europe using any shorter races than the USA events. So I don't know that either team is better "built" for races to 5 or 6.

Shane is not just a marathoner. He has won many, many short-race events. Maybe I'll go through my records some day and calculate the percentage of his matches where he got to 5 wins before his opponent compared to his overall match-winning percentage.

Yes, the mental outlook may be, or may need to be, a little different when you know it is only a race to 5 or 6, but I don't see any reason why the USA players would necessarily be at a disadvantage in that regard.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry, but I don't really see that. Although some of the USA players may have engaged in long gambling matches more than some of the EUR players, they have all played in a zillion short-race tournaments (races to 11, 9, 7, and less). I'm not aware of the main pool events in Europe using any shorter races than the USA events. So I don't know that either team is better "built" for races to 5 or 6.

Shane is not just a marathoner. He has won many, many short-race events. Maybe I'll go through my records some day and calculate the percentage of his matches where he got to 5 wins before his opponent compared to his overall match-winning percentage.

Yes, the mental outlook may be, or may need to be, a little different when you know it is only a race to 5 or 6, but I don't see any reason why the USA players would necessarily be at a disadvantage in that regard.

In short race nine ball, Shane is the best player I've ever seen.

The Derby City 9-ball event was race to 7 until 2012, so to win the title, you had to win about 13 races to 7 before you lost twice, a very difficult test. Shane won it twice back in the race to seven days of the event against fields of about 400 players. To me, these two wins are far more impressive to me than anything Shane has done in longer races, because there is so little room for error.

Similarly, the World Pool .Masters a few weeks ago was races to eight. The winner of that event was Shane.

Short races are not the problem for Team USA, just bad play.

Jadssons

Rehab is for Quitters
Silver Member
They will play again and when they do you can give me a shout if you're looking for action. I like Darrens chances of making it 10 in a row.

Damn, 10 in a row! Just say that out loud with me 10 IN A ROW. That's some major ownage if true and you are either one hell of a troll or one hell of a SVB fan to talk about taking the bad side of that.

If I had beaten someone 9 or 10 times in a row, I would swim through a river of sh!t to play them for some cash. Too bad Darren doesn't feel the same way about playing Shane.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
But very different from one loss and you're out pressure, that is until you've used your buy back up, anyway. :D

Yes, but this past January at Derby City in the 9-ball event, Shane was beaten by Mike Dechaine in Round 4, and had to win nine or ten straight matches to take down the event.