Final Thoughts on 2014 Mosconi Cup

J.W.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got back home and wanted to share some of my thoughts on what in my opinion, was one of the best Mosconi cups ever. The event gets better every year and it amazes me how Matchroom and SKY Sports continue to put forth this kind of effort year after year and find ways to make this event the best on the planet, bar none.

I wanted to address a few points from an inside perspective if you will.

Firstly, I honestly believe in all of my 21 years attending and working at this event, that the USA is making the right moves towards securing a brighter future for their sport in America. The Varners, Stricklands and Archers have laid a foundation that the younger players now have to build on. Anybody that doesn't think these players who represented the USA didn't deserve to be there just needed to see what I saw. And remember "experience is what you get when you needed it". The younger players will be that much better for this event and trust me, they will tell all of their friends and anybody that asks them that they have no idea what its like over there, none. Words can't describe the feeling these guys lived in real time. And John Schmidt was as classy as any USA fan could ever have asked for, he never once refused to support the team or be there for encouragement. Of course he didn't play his game, hardly any of the Americans did, but he nor his team mates didn't quit on the team philosophy at any time and THAT is why Mark Wilson picked them. They brought respect and honor to the sport and that is where it all needs to start again.

With regards to Shane and his performance over there. Have you ever seen Shane getting out of his chair and talking to his fellow players like that before, ever? He bought into what Mark has selling and that was clearly shown. He racked balls for the players for hours and helped them all work on the break. He became a leader there, not a role Shane has ever had in a Mosconi Cup. But he will grow into it and make every American proud, just wait and see.
His performance was muted by the format and that is the simple truth. A man can beat a thoroughbred horse in a 100 yard dash, stretch it out a bit and good luck to that man. Shane is a thoroughbred - period!

Its tough to explain but I can only put it down to the fact that team Europe gel and accept the team event concept a bit better than the USA does. This is something that Mark and his team will certainly be addressing from today on. But it will be addressed make no mistake.

But the sport of pool was the winner here and for that we just have to thank Matchroom Sport and Sky TV. If we had more events like this in a calendar year how easy would it be to sell this game to corporate America.

Next one looks to be back in Vegas. I expect preparations will be starting for Mark Wilson very soon in 2015. I hope all the fans in the US can get behind him and his team as they start the next journey. Its a process and I for one like the way the building blocks are starting to form.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and I hope that by sharing mine I have shed a bit more light on things. Being there allows one to see a bit more than what TV might allow. They don't call it the Tower Circus for nothing - thats something I learned.

And finally a shameless plug for my new club set to open in about a weeks time. It is called the Corner Bank and will be located in Toronto. It boasts three - 12 food screens, sixteen - 60 inch tv monitors, a 60 foot bar along with 28 Diamond tables and 8 professional snooker tables all waiting to be occupied. If your ever up that way stop in for a beer and a game.

All the very best over the holidays. Health and Prosperity to all!

Jim Wych

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the insider viewpoint, and good luck with your new club.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Nice job in the box Mr. Wych.

It's funny that most streaks (both ways...good and bad) seem to last a couple of iterations longer than they should. Even after the team has made the necessary changes it still seems that they still have to overcome the inertia. The balls know who is supposed to win. A couple of good rolls could have changed everything.

As a side note. I'm in Toronto on business the week of the 15th. Will you be up and running?

Nick B

Got back home and wanted to share some of my thoughts on what in my opinion, was one of the best Mosconi cups ever. The event gets better every year and it amazes me how Matchroom and SKY Sports continue to put forth this kind of effort year after year and find ways to make this event the best on the planet, bar none.

Firstly, I honestly believe in all of my 21 years attending and working at this event, that the USA is making the right moves towards securing a brighter future for their sport in America. The Varners, Stricklands and Archers have laid a foundation that the younger players now have to build on. Anybody that doesn't think these players who represented the USA didn't deserve to be there just needed to see what I saw. And remember "experience is what you get when you needed it". The younger players will be that much better for this event and trust me, they will tell all of their friends and anybody that asks them that they have no idea what its like over there, none. Words can't describe the feeling these guys lived in real time. And John Schmidt was as classy as any USA fan could ever have asked for, he never once refused to support the team or be there for encouragement. Of course he didn't play his game, hardly any of the Americans did, but he nor his team mates didn't quit on the team philosophy at any time and THAT is why Mark Wilson picked them. They brought respect and honor to the sport and that is where it all needs to start again.

With regards to Shane and his performance over there. Have you ever seen Shane getting out of his chair and talking to his fellow players like that before, ever? He bought into what Mark has selling and that was clearly shown. He racked balls for the players for hours and helped them all work on the break. He became a leader there, not a role Shane has ever had in a Mosconi Cup. But he will grow into it and make every American proud, just wait and see.
His performance was muted by the format and that is the simple truth. A man can beat a thoroughbred horse in a 100 yard dash, stretch it out a bit and good luck to that man. Shane is a thoroughbred - period!

Its tough to explain but I can only put it down to the fact that team Europe gel and accept the team event concept a bit better than the USA does. This is something that Mark and his team will certainly be addressing from today on. But it will be addressed make no mistake.

But the sport of pool was the winner here and for that we just have to thank Matchroom Sport and Sky TV. If we had more events like this in a calendar year how easy would it be to sell this game to corporate America.

Next one looks to be back in Vegas. I expect preparations will be starting for Mark Wilson very soon in 2015. I hope all the fans in the US can get behind him and his team as they start the next journey. Its a process and I for one like the way the building blocks are starting to form.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and I hope that by sharing mine I have shed a bit more light on things. Being there allows one to see a bit more than what TV might allow. They don't call it the Tower Circus for nothing - thats something I learned.

And finally a shameless plug for my new club set to open in about a weeks time. It is called the Corner Bank and will be located in Toronto. It boasts three - 12 food screens, sixteen - 60 inch tv monitors, a 60 foot bar along with 28 Diamond tables and 8 professional snooker tables all waiting to be occupied. If your ever up that way stop in for a beer and a game.

Jim Wych

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
....Next one looks to be back in Vegas. I expect preparations will be starting for Mark Wilson very soon in 2015. I hope all the fans in the US can get behind him and his team as they start the next journey. Its a process and I for one like the way the building blocks are starting to form.....

Jim Wych

It sounds from your post that Mark Wilson has already been named the coach of Team USA for the 2015 Mosconi. If so, I'm in favor of it, but I had not heard this.

Good luck with your new club in Toronto, Jimmy.

Thanks for sharing your insights, and congratulations on the fine job you did at this year's event.

Thanks for your insights, Jimmy

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jim Wych

Well said. Thanks for sharing your on-scene insights.

Lou Figueroa

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Great post Jim! You made some good points and yes the pool players of the world are lucky to have this event. I met you last year in Vegas and will look forward to saying hi next year also.

You are spot on with the Varners, Stricklands and Archers point, those guys did there part to build this amazing event and we all owe them thanks. It is never easy to step aside and let the next generation go forth but that's what needs to be done.

A big thanks goes out to everyone who made this happen and congratulations to both teams.

I was in Toronto on business last fall and wow what an amazing city....It is hard to believe how much it had changed in twenty years. I was very impressed.
Good luck with the new room and I will check it out next time I am there.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Words of wisdom right here..... Great job.:thumbup:

Shane's encouragement to his teammates, shows that he is ready to lead. He will learn the most from MW.

Best of luck to you, Jim.

Jim Wych

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I'll be the one to say it. A man can't beat a horse in the hundred yard dash. Other than that good post and I agree the event was great.

J.W.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, Hey Satori ever hear of an athlete named Jesse Owens?
He actually beat the horse giving it a 20 yard head start back in 1948 in California.
:)

Jim

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jim Wych
I really hope he is not captain for 2015 definitely does not deserve it after the way he selected this years team! How bout Tony Robles or joe tucker

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on Mr. Wych. I looked it up and found out he would cheat the horse not beat the horse. It was a trick race using a gun to get the horse to go crazy giving him a huge head start. I guess we can find any circumstances to fit what we say huh?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
depends, no contest at forty though

Ok I'll be the one to say it. A man can't beat a horse in the hundred yard dash. Other than that good post and I agree the event was great.

Depends on the man and the horse at 100, no contest at forty yards between a sprinter and a thoroughbred. Another bit of trivia, a Shetland pony smokes a thoroughbred and most running quarterhorses at forty yards too.

Most running horses are comparatively slow out of the gate. My foundation bred quarterhorse usually broke several lengths on top at the first call. I would have liked to have tried him against a Shetland pony but I wouldn't have bet big money on the outcome.

Back to the matter at hand, GREAT REPORT!

Hu

J.W.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know for sure that Mark will be captain again but I believe he will be. This was never going to be a quick fix and Matchroom also feel that Mark is on the right track and for that reason I am confident he will be in Vegas next December. Its a process. And One year would not give it a fair evaluation.
The players proved they bought in and that was very clear.
Again, my opinion for what its worth........

J.W.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Satori, I had heard of this race decades ago. I simply haven't forgotten it but you seem to be missing the whole point. Who would you bet over a long race, Shane or any European player? Shane won only a single point there and that is not an indication of the player's true ability at all. Thats the point I am trying to make. Sorry if my analogy of a horse and a man racing bothered you - its the point of it.
The logistics of that actual race didn't mean anything to me, i thought it was cool, I remembered it, end of story.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know for sure that Mark will be captain again but I believe he will be. This was never going to be a quick fix and Matchroom also feel that Mark is on the right track and for that reason I am confident he will be in Vegas next December. Its a process. And One year would not give it a fair evaluation.

I believe he Should be , but I would like to see him state what the criteria will be to make the team, I think that should be used in line with a captains pick like the Ryder cup ,, I also believe if you make the team and your behavior is out of line , that it can be a reason to keep you off future teams

As for the horse
Mr Owens, who won four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, famously beat a number of racehorses in the 100 metre sprint after his Olympic victory.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Satori, I had heard of this race decades ago. I simply haven't forgotten it but you seem to be missing the whole point. Who would you bet over a long race, Shane or any European player? Shane won only a single point there and that is not an indication of the player's true ability at all. Thats the point I am trying to make. Sorry if my analogy of a horse and a man racing bothered you - its the point of it.
The logistics of that actual race didn't mean anything to me, i thought it was cool, I remembered it, end of story.

"In spite of his fame on his return from Berlin, Owens struggled for money and began to participate in stunt races against dogs, motorcycles and even horses during halftime of soccer matches and between doubleheaders of Negro League baseball games. Owens would start 40 yards ahead of his equine competitors before sprinting for 100 yards, and he would often win by a nose. “People said it was degrading for an Olympic champion to run against a horse,” Owens said, “but what was I supposed to do? I had four gold medals, but you can’t eat four gold medals.”

I don't mind the analogy, but the way you stated it is wrong. Being correct always helps to tell the right story :)

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
And One year would not give it a fair evaluation.

People who collect a paycheck for the event have opinions that are probably a little biased.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The analogy of the horse didn't bother me. In fact it is a perfect example of how words can be used to give an incorrect impression. Like for instance when you say Shane was muted by the format when in fact he was muted by Darren putting a whooping on dat azz.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Jim Wych

Thx Jim for distilling the ball bangers comments to the back seat.

The game is bigger than us all. In the states many pros still think they are more important, or getting something to their advantage is more impt.

Mike Massey spent a couple weeks here again recently this year and he told me about an exhibition that he did in a 3rd world country, on a pool table outside, open to the sky and 30,000 showed up.

Listening to him do his exhibition is just as important, probably more than the shots he makes or misses, because he knows how to miss :thumbup:

Have a great Xmas, hope to meet or be involved some day.

BM