finally! new bscp set of officers inplace

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
This part of the AzB front page article surely raises an eyebrow.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it seems once again that it is too early to know for certain and that the issue will still have to be reconciled by the courts. For now, the POC has recognized the March 31 elections and that would seem to carry the day for them. But the group that it seems must take the first decisive action is the APBU. This group must decide who is their representative in the Philippines. And it would not be sufficient to just say: “the BSCP”. For at this point it is necessary to clarify. Is this the BSCP as represented by Yen Makabenta and the Board of Directors as it stood on March 30 or is it the BSCP as represented by the group of officers who were elected in the March 31 contest?

Surely guys you're jesting. The APBU is the recognized continental member of the WPA which is the sport-governing body of pool of the IOC. The POC is the recognized member of the IOC. The POC is what gave recognition to BSCP as the Philippines' NSA for pool, billiard and snooker. Which-so-ever set of NSA Officers that the POC recognizes are the duly authorized officers of BSCP. So who will the APBU, WPA and IOC recognize? Whoever the POC recognizes!

Quote:
The APBU is in a less than desirable position. On the one hand, the BSCP as represented by the group headed by Fajardo and Makabenta is also the group charged with producing two major events this year – the Philippine Open and the WPA World Ten Ball Championships. On the other hand, the new elections are recognized by the POC and the past relationship with the POC is that the group they recognize is the official NSA and therefore the group that is a member of the APBU.

The Philippine Open and the World Ten Ball Championships are RAYA events using BSCP sanctioning. How can it be a co-Production or a BSCP event when BSCP doesn't earn a single centavo from these events? Not even from sanctioning fees.

By the way, all these sports officials are just second -class citizens in the sporting world. Have you ever seen the officials themselves battle it out to represent their respective countries or for the prize money? Have you seen any corporate sponsor fork out money for a sporting event without the athletes?

The top Pinoy cueists didn't want to anymore support the previous set of BSCP Officers so the the POC stepped-in because according to the POC all these ABC sporting organizations are there because of the athletes. Anybody there think otherwise?

Last edited:

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
I've already schedule my trip for end May with the hopes of attending the Womens 10-Ball Championship. Then it was moved to the next week to give way to Phil Open 10-Ball Championship. Looks like there is nothing for me to watch then. :(

Ops... there is... The Rotation 1-on-1 with Efren Reyes and Ronnie Alcano. Or am I dreaming. :)

theres alot to watch in my neigborhood :grin-square:

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
reyes,pagulayan,orcullo, bmpap pres ok's new bscp...

approval of players/bmpap:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=454428&publicationSubCategoryId=69

Players hail new BSCP officials
Updated April 02, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - The country’s top cue artists yesterday hailed the election of a new set of officials in the Billiards and Snooker Congress of the Philippines (BSCP) and expressed hope that it will propel RP billiards to new heights and at the same time put an end to the long-drawn controversy that hounded the sport.

“We’re very happy with this development,” said pool legend Efren “Bata” Reyes, one of the new BSCP directors.

Former Project: Gintong Alay executive director Arturo “Bong” Ilagan and RP billiards godfather Aristeo “Putch” Puyat were voted president and chairman, respectively, of the BSCP.

“We players only want leaders who will protect our interest and ensure fairness, and with Mr. Puyat, Mr. Ilagan and the rest of the newly elected officials of our association, we’re confident we can get those,” said the 54-year-old Reyes.

“Mr. Puyat has long been supporting us, including young players, even in his private capacity, so what more now that he is one of the leaders of our national association,” said former world No. 1 Dennis Orcollo.

“With this new set of BSCP officers I’m pretty sure that there will be no more maltreatment, no more discrimination and no more abuse of power,” said Alex Pagulayan, a former world 9-ball champion.

The Billiards Managers and Players Association of the Philippines president Vic Rodriguez vowed that his group would cooperate and work together with the BSCP, saying that they are looking forward to a “new era” in Philippine billiards.

Meanwhile, Ilagan clarified that the election was not hastily called and that all members, approved by the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) to vote, had been duly notified more than a month earlier.

He also cited the April 5 deadline set by the World Pocket-Billiards Association (WPA) for all Filipino players to affiliate themselves with the BSCP for them to be able to participate in all WPA-sanctioned events.

:):):)

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Billiards: I side with Bata Reyes
http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquire...90404-197890/Billiards-I-side-with-Bata-Reyes

By Mahar Mangahas
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 07:17:00 04/04/2009

Last Tuesday, March 31st, members of the Billiards and Snooker Congress of the Philippines (BSCP), most of them disgruntled with the association’s leadership, elected a new board. The election was formally sanctioned and observed by the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC).

(It was the first election since 2006, even though required annually. The old board’s application for a Temporary Restraining Order on the election was denied by the Regional Trial Court of Makati City on March 30.)

Elected as members of the BSCP board were Aristeo “Putch” Puyat, Arturo “Bong” Ilagan, Joaquin “Quini” Perez de Tagle, Willie Caballes, and myself. The board then chose the following officers: Puyat, chairman; Ilagan, president; De Tagle, secretary-general; and Jonathan Sy, treasurer.

The general objective of BSCP is to “promote billiards as a sport in the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play.” BSCP membership is open to billiards clubs or organizations of at least 25 members and 10 active players; there are five such member-clubs — for example, Puyat Sports — not counting the club of one founder.

BSCP also has member-individuals, of two types: the original founders (three of whom are active), and six so-called “honorary members” invited by the board. One of the latter members is the great Efren “Bata” Reyes, who thereby has his own individual vote. Another one, since 2005, happens to be myself. Three of the other four are in the old board’s clique that boycotted the election.

I imagine that my columns on billiards, attendance of many tournaments, and bit part in the film “Pakners” of Bata Reyes and Fernando Poe Jr. make me an above-average aficionado. At the 2004 World Pool Championship in Taipei, the only non-OFWs, aside from our playing contingent, and thus the first to congratulate Filipino winner Alex Pagulayan, were Putch Puyat, sportswriter Ronnie Nathanielsz, my wife, and me.

My peculiar value-added to BSCP is an access to surveys. The poll group Social Weather Stations (SWS) did pro bono national surveys on the popularity of billiards, as a game to play and to watch, in 2005, 2006, and most recently in February 2009 (on which a new release will be made soon). There also is a 2008 SWS national survey on Leisure Time and Sports in general; the POC knows of it.

My complaints Being with BSCP was exciting in my first year or two, but later on turned disappointing. Decision-making by the leadership was opaque, particularly on ethically critical matters. Ever since the 2006 World Pool Championship was brought to Manila by Yen Makabenta, simultaneously chairman of BSCP and owner of Raya Sports, I have been asking for the financial terms of BSCP-Raya tie-ups — to no avail.

As a member, I didn’t get a single BSCP financial statement in four years. What has been BSCP’s share of Raya’s funding from the government gaming firm Pagcor? Why couldn’t I, as a member, see any contracts and accounts? Of all the associations to which I belong, BSCP is the least transparent. The old board sent no reminders on dues, yet made failure to pay them a cause for “dropping” certain members; so why didn’t they drop me?

Players’ complaints. On Nov. 21, 2008, lady players Rubilen Amit, Iris Rañola and Mary Ann Basas complained to the POC that their allowances from the Philippine Sports Commission had been cut off due to refusal of BSCP president Ernesto Fajardo to give his endorsement.

They wrote: “An irate Mr. Julius Nidea ordered us to join the Mandaluyong City Mayor’s Cup, a pool competition being marketed and supported by BSCP and Raya Sports, which coincided with the Villar Cup. Mr. Nidea also adamantly stated that we need to join BSCP-Raya events, and BSCP-Raya events alone, to still be members of the said organization and continue receiving our respective allowances.”

On March 5, 2009, Bata Reyes, Alex Pagulayan, Ronato Alcano, Francisco “Django” Bustamante and 22 other top players wrote to the POC: “Gamit ni G. Makabenta ang posisyon niya sa BSCP at sa pakikipagsabwatan kay G. Fajardo, pinipilit nila ang mga bilyarista na maglaro sa pribadong torneo ni G. Makabenta. Ang hindi sumali ay pinaparusahan nila gaya na lang ng nangyari sa aming kasamahan na si Alex Pagulayan.”

Makabenta and Fajardo had ousted Pagulayan from the final leg of the 2007 Guinness 9-Ball Tour by publicly accusing him of “sharking” (distracting) an opponent in a previous leg. Pagulayan then charged them with libel; on Oct. 21, 2008, the Pasig City prosecutor approved this criminal case for trial.

(The old board wrote POC on Feb. 12, 2009: “Messrs. Puyat, Efren Reyes and Jonathan Sy have given the BSCP board valid reason to drop them from the roster of membership for total lack of participation in the affairs of BSCP and actions inimical to the interest of the association.” They would punish dissent by disenfranchisement!)

Right after the election, Ilagan announced that the new board assures all stakeholders that no officer or member will use the association to promote personal interests. The new board approved 10 new member-clubs, subject to accreditation by the POC.

I believe that, in sports, the primary stakeholders are the players themselves. In an equitable voting system, the will of the players should matter the most, and should outweigh the interests of promoters, managers, match officials, equipment distributors, and researchers like me.

A sports entity unsupported by its top players cannot represent the country in that sport. An entity that fails to respect them should undergo change in leadership, or else be supplanted by another entity that the players trust.

Sports are an extremely important source of national pride. It’s the players who make us proud. Thus, in the case of BSCP, I side with Bata Reyes.

augustine tan

pro player
Silver Member
wpc 9-ball, 10-ball

With Mr Yen and Raya sports moved away from BSCP,
Mr Puyat, Bugsy, a few other stables, BSCP and BMPAP back in power,
will wpc 2009 go on?
BSCP to try and make it happen?
BSCP, BMPAP find sponsors, talk to matchroom sports?
both WPC 9-ball and 10-ball?
it will be appreciated by many im sure, both players and fans,
especially with wpc 8-ball in UAE being postponed as well.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
With Mr Yen and Raya sports moved away from BSCP,
Mr Puyat, Bugsy, a few other stables, BSCP and BMPAP back in power,
will wpc 2009 go on?
BSCP to try and make it happen?
BSCP, BMPAP find sponsors, talk to matchroom sports?
both WPC 9-ball and 10-ball?
it will be appreciated by many im sure, both players and fans,
especially with wpc 8-ball in UAE being postponed as well.
RAYA owns the WPA World 10-Ball franchise. So we really don't have any idea if he'll stage one this year.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
POC is final arbiter of all NSA disputes

By Manolo Iñigo
First Posted 00:40:00 04/06/2009

Filed Under: Sport, Billiards and Snooker and Pool

ONE OF THE POWERS AND FUNCtions vested in the Philippine Olympic Committee is “to act as the final arbiter of all intra-NSA (national sports association) conflicts and disputes in case these could not be settled with the NSA’s processes and procedures.”

Using this mandate, the POC recently stepped in to settle the long-running leadership issue in the embattled Billiards and Snooker Congress of the Philippines. The POC also created a special committee to handle the BSCP affairs, particularly the welfare of the athletes while the leadership/election problem is still unsettled.

So much so that during the recent election to select the officials who will lead the BSCP, the POC not only sanctioned the election, but also sent an observer—POC deputy secretary general Buddy Andrada—who reported that the proceedings were conducted in accordance with the BSCP constitution.

Among the winners were billiards patron Aristeo “Putch” Puyat, who was voted chair; former Gintong Alay project director Arturo “Bong” Ilagan, president; and International Billiards Hall of Famer and Asia’s top sports hero, Efren “Bata” Reyes, member of the board of directors.

A temporary restraining order had been filed earlier by the rival group to stop the election but it was denied by the Makati Regional Trial Court. Another suit to nullify the result of the election of the new board was reportedly being readied by a group the Puyat-Ilagan group unseated.

From my own experience, I would like the BSCP’s former masters to know that the court is not the proper venue to settle sports disputes.

The Supreme Court abhors the intrusion of the courts into sports disputes, stressing that encouraging the trend (of filing court suits) would ultimately pervert sports.

You see, the High Court reached a landmark decision in my favor, way back in 1983 (when I was president of the Philippine Soap Box Derby, Inc.), with this ruling:

“If legal notions were allowed to intrude (into) every level in the enforcement of rules of private (or public) sporting events, there will result anarchy or chaos, as every decision by an umpire, referee or sporting judge could be subject to question.

“Spectators will have to wait for the result of sporting events, not from the rafters, or from media, but from announcements made by judges through court personnel reading aloud decisions.”

It added that it is best for the courts to prudently leave (sports disputes) where they are, adding that circuitous court cases would have been unnecessary had complainants observed ordinary rules of sportsmanship and fair play.

As the umbrella organization of all NSAs, the POC is not only the final arbiter in all NSA disputes but also exercises certain authority over them. While these NSAs are exclusively responsible for determining the composition of their respective teams in all international events, the POC has the prerogative and authority to approve the teams recommended by the NSAs when it comes to multisports games such as the Olympics, Asian or SEA Games.

But I’m befuddled with accusations hurled at POC president Jose “Peping” Cojuangco by his detractors, many of whom—according to my sources—did not vote for him during last November’s election for the POC presidency.

True, I have disagreed with Mr. Cojuangco’s policies many times, but this time I am inclined to agree with him.

As the highest ruling body for amateur sports in the Philippines, the POC has its own constitution and by-laws, which was last amended in 1999 and approved by the International Olympic Committee, the supreme authority of the Olympic Movement.

In turn, the IOC is an international, nongovernmental, nonprofit organization of unlimited duration, with the status of a legal person, recognized by the Swiss Federal Council.

A Belgian, Dr. Jacques Rogge, is the current IOC president.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Adios Yen and Ernie!!

Manalo, Gabica defect to Puyat-Ilagan BSCP
First Posted 03:45:00 04/08/2009

Heeding the call of their fellow cue masters, Doha Asian Games gold medalist Antonio “Gaga” Gabica and national team mainstay Marlon Manalo Tuesday threw their support behind the new leadership of the Billiards and Snooker Congress of the Philippines, led by chair Aristeo “Putch” Puyat and president Arturo “Bong” Ilagan.

Gabica apologized to his fellow players for turning his back on them and for joining the group of former chair Yen Makabenta and former president Ernesto Fajardo.

“I was mistaken,” said Gabica in Filipino. “That’s why I’m here to apologize, especially to my fellow players. I’m ready to accept whatever penalty you will give me. Whatever it is I’m happy because I’ll be in your company again.”

Manalo said he recognized the new BSCP leadership because he believes it is the will of the majority of billiards stakeholders in the country.

“I’ve spent more than half of my life playing for our country and, as much as I’m very thankful to Mr. Makabenta and Mr. Fajardo for taking care of me, I must go with this new leadership as it has the blessing of the (Philippine Olympic Committee),” said Manalo after the POC officially validated last week’s BSCP polls.

A teary-eyed Manalo even pleaded to Makabenta’s group not to pursue its plan to contest the legitimacy of the new BSCP leadership to the court.

Roy Luarca

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe a good thing. Maybe not. Only time will tell.

Where there is money and power there will definitely be corruption. I just hope they do a better job for pool players in Philippine and all pool enthusiast then the last administration.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Charity

No matter who sits there, I'll be watching.

I hope that the players whom you represented, spoke for and fought so valiantly for, will never forget you.

I'll never forget your introduction to me of the Filipino player's luck!

Thank you for that gift, Edwin.

R.I.P. Edwin Reyes.

JoeyA :sad::sad::sad:

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
No matter who sits there, I'll be watching.

im sure you will.

he was suppose to be sweared in as bscp director (in charge of players/representative of the local pool industry)
and was set to screwtinize the 100M 2006-2008 budget of said NSA. :angry: