Finals Observations

mapman72

- Ko had good rolls
- Shane faded most of the rolls to be in position to win
- Shane played a soft safety on the ball that Ko tried to jump in the side and eventually got safe
- Thousands of people will say that Shane should have won because Ko got lucky
- Shane will say he needs to continue practicing to ensure he can fade a match like that.
- That is why Shane is a champion and I look forward to watching him win next year's event!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right!

- Ko had good rolls
- Shane played a soft safety on the ball that Ko tried to jump in the side and eventually got safe
- Shane will say he needs to continue practicing to ensure he can fade a match like that.
- That is why Shane is a champion and I look forward to watching him win next year's event!

Your right, Shane came in second in the WORLD and he's still head and shoulders above everyone in this country and as of today all but one other guy in the world, that aint bad, Cograts SVB.

I hope he play inspires more players here to step up their game.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
absolutely...

- Ko had good rolls

The America haters and Shane haters love to deny reality and say it's all the fanboys, but this ^^^^^^^^^^are my thoughts on it as well.

Could Shane have taken the win even with all the bad rolls??? Yes. There were some situations that could've taken him to the win even with the bad rolls.

Shane's composure and ability to come with it even with all the rolls shows what kind of player he is.

A couple of things that others have already pointed out.

1) How would it have ended if this was a Ko, Earl match??? I cringe at the thought.

2) With the rolls that Ko was getting, it's really surprising that He didn't get more than one game up till the final game. The score should've been lopsided with all those rolls and it wasn't. It's scary to think about what the score would've been had the rolls been reversed. A repeat of his drumming of little Ko and DO would not have been out of the question.

Now did Ko deserve the title? That's a tough call. Did he earn his place in the finals? Absolutely.

Did he EARN that final match? Not really. Did he BEAT SVB? Not really. Did he win the title? Absolutely and that's the way it goes sometimes.

We can say, yeah but it's alternating break, etc etc. but I don't think that would've been in Shane's favor necessarily had it been winner break.

Ko had a higher BNR percentage than Shane by a slight margin. So in that respect he DID deserve the title.

Also, 9 ball is a game with luck involved. So long as that is acknowledged, then yes, he did deserve the win.

Regardless of that final outcome, It would be ****ING RIDICULOUS for the Shane haters to deny he's not as good if not better than anyone on the planet.

To do so is to deny that the rolls made the difference in this match, and that's idiocy not even taking into consideration the mental affect that an opponent getting that many rolls over you in a world championship finals has on you.

Anyone watching this match with an open mind HAD to have seen that it was the rolls that made the difference, just the slopped in nine and the hooked three (the luck that even KO snickered about) games would have given the title to Shane instead, and there were MANY more lucky safes and turned over racks than those two.

My like of Shane's game has ZERO to do with him being American. I've had other American's hate me because Efren was my favorite player and they thought that I should like Earl's game better because he was American.

I like whom I think has the best game and right now, that's Shane. I'd like to be my own favorite player, and maybe some day in the not too distant future I will be.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
yes he got hooked on the 7..

I heard that Shane missed to make it 10:8 when played bad position for the 7. Then it was 9 all instead.

Yes he got hooked on the 7 and rattled it on a jump attempt.

Jaden

bowman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CONGRATS TO KO...Funny how some of you guys never whine when shane gets lucky he gets his fair share luck same as all the players 9 ball is a lucky game anyway so stop whining when other players gets luck ...

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Sorry did you WATCH this match???

CONGRATS TO KO...Funny how some of you guys never whine when shane gets lucky he gets his fair share luck same as all the players 9 ball is a lucky game anyway so stop whining when other players gets luck ...

Did you actually WATCH this match, because I've watched a LOT of pool and I"ve NEVER seen ANYONE get as many lucky rolls in a single match as Ko did in this one.

Jaden

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody always jumps to the conclusion "if he wouldn't have missed this or done that" then he would have won.

YOU CAN'T PREDICT WHAT HASN'T HAPPENED YET IN POOL!

If he HADN'T made the mistake when he did, there is NO REASON to believe he wouldn't have made the same mistake later in the match or even a bigger mistake or more of them.

This applies to anybody playing any game of pool.

It isn't the players who caused this...it is the GAME! When you create rules that REWARD lucky rolls, then you live with what you sow.

Aloha.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ya funny how that works with the huggere , the fact is Ko had just withstood a grueling match with who many consider the best player on the planet and the best player in this tournament and when he had a chance to put the match away he did just that ,
He clearly was not as percise in the match against Shane if he was there would have been no lucky rolls to begin with
What he did do and Shane didn't is he came with it when the match was on the line Shane's break failed him most when he needed it most and he had to push out and then he fired and sold out ,, end of story ,, better luck next time

bowman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes i did watch it also saw shane mess up chances as well ..thats 9 ball pool if the pool gods are with you you win if not its a taxi home .I have asle seen plenty of shanes matches weather on stream or live and have seen him get many good rolls in one single match it was a great final and both deserved to win but the pool gods chose ko to win this time 9 ball is just luck anyway !!!!!

gardener28

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you actually WATCH this match, because I've watched a LOT of pool and I"ve NEVER seen ANYONE get as many lucky rolls in a single match as Ko did in this one.

Jaden

I know people are going to hate me but,
I kept thinking, if he gets "lucky" all the time, does it mean that he also planned for those lucky shots in case of mistake happens?
I know that is scary but,
Even I did it sometimes, aim it slightly over cut or under cut just in case of things happens...
It is not that impossible for Pros, especially at their level.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I know people are going to hate me but,
I kept thinking, if he gets "lucky" all the time, does it mean that he also planned for those lucky shots in case of mistake happens?
I know that is scary but,
Even I did it sometimes, aim it slightly over cut or under cut just in case of things happens...
It is not that impossible for Pros, especially at their level.

definitely not on the 2 9 combo miss to rattle into the side.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balls roll, man! Anybody who has played this game more than once knows that. The thing I can't stand most of all are people who complain about rolls. It is part of 9 ball. does it suck sometimes? Sure, but that's the way it goes. You get them and you give them. In the end they most certainly even out. If you can't get over the fact that chance plays a part in nine ball you need to find a new hobby. Am I bummed that Shane didn't win? Sure, but I look forward to watching the match and enjoying world class caliber 9 ball. I would also like to send a congratulations to Ko Pin Yi on his championship and Shane on a fantastic showing. Just making it through that field to the finals is huge win!

mapman72

My Point...

In starting this thread, I was making the point that Shane will live to fight another day and be better because of this. I think most players in this country, as evident by most of the chatter on AZ say that Ko didn't deserve the win and that Shane should have won. In every match, you can look back on key moments that you gave something up that cost you. I go back to that safety Shane played leaving Ko the manageable jump shot in the side. Sure, Ko misses it and luckily leaves Shane safe, but Shane is capable of a safety from that position that would have eliminated the jump shot possibility. At that level, you can't just put a guy 6" behind some balls. Shane played a great match but I believe he will focus on that safe, the poor shot on the 2 ball in the last rack, and the positional error at 9-8 as the reasons he really lost the match.

If you always look to the rolls, the waitresses, the sharking, or whatever, you don't improve. From what I have seen of Shane he's going to set that 2-ball up 17,000 times and play that safe tonight. That's the heart of a champion.