Fitness tracker while playing?

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that we have all this super-whamadyne wearable technology, anyone tracking how many steps/calories during a practice session or match? I'm thinking of getting one.

RonMason

Ron Mason
Silver Member
Hi Keith

I wore one at a Predator Tour stop I won. I forgot how many steps it was but on day one i walked a little over 12 miles and on day two a little over 6. You really do need to be in shape for tournaments.

See you at Steinway soon!

Ron

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be more interested in heart rate changes.

I use a monitor regularly, but it is part of cycling computer. Been using it for years and am pretty accurate in guessing where my rate is.

Hard cycling efforts see HR in the 180 bpm range. I bet pool gets it in the 130s, if not 140s.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
i wear a Fitbit. You will be surprised that it is not as many steps as you think when practicing.

I also wanted to see how many calories were burned using a Polar HR monitor. The few extra calories weren't much more than if I was sitting in a chair watching the tube because you normally don't walk fast enough to increase your your heart beat or work up a sweat.

Don't count on pool as a way to get fit unless you have a hard time walking and standing and are using it as a method of easing back in to be able to walk and stand for a period of time.

🎱

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I would be more interested in heart rate changes.

I use a monitor regularly, but it is part of cycling computer. Been using it for years and am pretty accurate in guessing where my rate is.

Hard cycling efforts see HR in the 180 bpm range. I bet pool gets it in the 130s, if not 140s.

When I checked playing pool wearing a Polar for 47 minutes. I burned 149 calories, my avg HR was 82 and Max was 106.

Shoveling snow for 53 minutes I burned 497 calories. Max HR 135 avg 119.

Blowing snow using a snow blower. 2 HR 40 minutes. 1755 cal avg HR 131 Max 149

Cutting grass with a power mower and trimmers for 42 minutes 313 calories avg HR 109 Max 130

Vacuuming my cars for 1 hour 3 min. 360 calories avg HR 99 Max 120.

I have used my polar to test many things. Granted it all depends on weight, age and fitness. I am close to 69 1/2. When the weather is nice my wife and I bike on the average 16 miles a day around our city. We did 2277 miles this year. We average around 13 mph because of the lights, stop signs, breaks and etc. We like being outside enjoying the weather and fresh air.

In the fall and winter we do Insanity, P90X, and etc. I am now eating lunch and just got done doing a Max 30 workout.

🎱

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with an iPhone in my pocket and in recent months an AppleWatch on my bridge wrist... What I've observed generally is that 4 hours of pool amounts to about 20 mins. of what the device considers "active" time.

The way I see it, playing pool isn't going to make you physically strong/fit. However, if you truly enjoy it then one shall not overlook its positive effects on mental sharpness and reducing stress. And that does count for something in one's overall health picture.

Join Billiards on Slack -
billiards-on-slack.herokuapp.com