Floor Reinforcement for Table

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
I wouldn't worry so much about cracking as I would the table settling. I have my 8 footer in an upstairs bedroom. When I first installed it in a similar sized room as the OP described with similar support the table was near impossible to level and once we got it level it wouldn't stay level. The floor had a little bounce to it and eventually the bees wax cracked at where the slates lined up. I'm currently in the process of pulling it all apart and sistering the joists underneath. I wouldn't recommend waiting.

JMP

Registered
Your asking for problems down the road!

Reinforce the floors, I am a register structural engineer in the State of Minnesota and you will have problems down the road if you do not do something with the floor. I design wood structures every day and the 2x10 floor joists are designed for a minimum uniform load and not the concentrated loads from the pool table legs. Please feel free to PM me to discuss. I would be more than happy to give you some free advise.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
i am moving into a new house in 2 weeks. i am bringing with me an 8' olhausen grand champion pro which weighs 1100 lbs according to olhausen. during the home inspection, after informing the inspector i would be putting the table in the living room, he strongly suggested i reinforce the floor. i have had this table in a living room setting for the past 5 years with no issues whatsoever. im just wondering if any of you have done this to accomadate a table. floor in question is built with 2 x 10"s spaced at 16". i would say the span from the basement wall to the steel center beam is about 12-14'.

Just thought I'd weigh in here on the weight of your table...being an 8ft, frame made up of plywood and all. A Diamond 9ft ProAm with an actual 1" full size 9ft slate...1,080lbs, a GC1,2,3,4,5...9ft's, average weight...1,180lbs, Gabriels 9ft, 2,500lbs, a Diamond 7ft Smart table with a 1" full sized slate...800lbs.

Your table does not weigh 1,100lbs, it's closer to 850lbs;)

Glen

Ant812

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just thought I'd weigh in here on the weight of your table...being an 8ft, frame made up of plywood and all. A Diamond 9ft ProAm with an actual 1" full size 9ft slate...1,080lbs, a GC1,2,3,4,5...9ft's, average weight...1,180lbs, Gabriels 9ft, 2,500lbs, a Diamond 7ft Smart table with a 1" full sized slate...800lbs.

Your table does not weigh 1,100lbs, it's closer to 850lbs;)

Glen
thanks, thats what i was originally estimating until i called olhausen.

JMP

Registered
They must have added the weight of the installers to the table weight:grin:

Thanks for making me laugh Glen. It sucks working Saturday morning in the office when I could be home with the wife or playing pool. You made my day.

Have a great weekend!

JMP