Flying Into San Jose Tomorrow...

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
I'm going to be in Mountain View through Wednesday on business. Are there any nice places to play in or around Mountain View?
If anyone would like to get together and hit a few racks after work, drop me a PM or respond in the thread. 8, 9, 14:1 are all good with me. I have a basic understanding of 1 pocket, banks, and rotation though I've never played them.
I'd like to play tomorrow (Sunday) night, help unwind from the 6+ hrs of flying. I don't care whether it's a 9 ft or a barbox (in decent condition) I just want to shoot a few racks and have a couple beers.

:D
 

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the California Billiard Club

DelaWho??? said:
I'm going to be in Mountain View through Wednesday on business. Are there any nice places to play in or around Mountain View?
If anyone would like to get together and hit a few racks after work, drop me a PM or respond in the thread. 8, 9, 14:1 are all good with me. I have a basic understanding of 1 pocket, banks, and rotation though I've never played them.
I'd like to play tomorrow (Sunday) night, help unwind from the 6+ hrs of flying. I don't care whether it's a 9 ft or a barbox (in decent condition) I just want to shoot a few racks and have a couple beers.

:D

I thought you were kidding....Anybody who plays pool in California should know the California Billiard Club (on El Camino Real) in MOUNTAIN VIEW is one of the nicest rooms to play at....you will probably find a game there...there are lots of 1pocket enthusiasts there....and probably 9ball too.........
 

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
wahcheck said:
I thought you were kidding....Anybody who plays pool in California should know the California Billiard Club (on El Camino Real) in MOUNTAIN VIEW is one of the nicest rooms to play at....you will probably find a game there...there are lots of 1pocket enthusiasts there....and probably 9ball too.........

The last time I was in mountain View, I wasn't a pool player... I am familiar with El Camino though. I'll definitely make it a point to find it and stop in.

Thanks.

:thumbup:
 

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you're welcome

DelaWho??? said:
The last time I was in mountain View, I wasn't a pool player... I am familiar with El Camino though. I'll definitely make it a point to find it and stop in.

Thanks.

:thumbup:

Chet Itow, the room owner is a pool player.....He did a lot of research (talking to other pool room owners, etc.) before buying and setting up the layout for his room....It's very conducive to the serious pool player and for sweators of action games....you will see when you go there.......The food there is very good too.....especially the rice bowl dishes and french fries...:)
If I recall correctly, someone said the place used to be a car dealership showroom before Chet took it over.....that might give you some idea of its size.....
 

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
wahcheck said:
I thought you were kidding....Anybody who plays pool in California should know the California Billiard Club (on El Camino Real) in MOUNTAIN VIEW is one of the nicest rooms to play at....you will probably find a game there...there are lots of 1pocket enthusiasts there....and probably 9ball too.........
I second this. If you are in Mountain View already, California Billiards is the only place you need to visit.
 

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:
I'm going to be in Mountain View through Wednesday on business. Are there any nice places to play in or around Mountain View?
If anyone would like to get together and hit a few racks after work, drop me a PM or respond in the thread. 8, 9, 14:1 are all good with me. I have a basic understanding of 1 pocket, banks, and rotation though I've never played them.
I'd like to play tomorrow (Sunday) night, help unwind from the 6+ hrs of flying. I don't care whether it's a 9 ft or a barbox (in decent condition) I just want to shoot a few racks and have a couple beers.

:D

California Billiard Club is THE place. They have about 40 tables (no bar boxes). On Sunday they will be having their monthly 9-ball tournament, but by evening they will be down to just a few tables, so you should be able to get a table, and all the action you can handle. They often get a very strong field, so you might just get to see some world class players. Last month Rafael Martinez snapped off both the 9-ball and the (Saturday) one-pocket.

Chet Itow sold the place about a year ago, but the new owners, Ben and Chris, are both serious pool players, so the room continues to be a players room.

The room is on the West side of El Camino right on the Sunnyvale border. In fact the East side of El Camino IS Sunnyvale, so the street numbers can be a bit confusing.

While you're in Mountain View you might want to check out the other room there: Shoreline Billiards. They have about 30 tables and that's where Bob Jewett hangs out.

Mark
 

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
mbvl said:
California Billiard Club is THE place. They have about 40 tables (no bar boxes). On Sunday they will be having their monthly 9-ball tournament, but by evening they will be down to just a few tables, so you should be able to get a table, and all the action you can handle. They often get a very strong field, so you might just get to see some world class players. Last month Rafael Martinez snapped off both the 9-ball and the (Saturday) one-pocket.

Chet Itow sold the place about a year ago, but the new owners, Ben and Chris, are both serious pool players, so the room continues to be a players room.

The room is on the West side of El Camino right on the Sunnyvale border. In fact the East side of El Camino IS Sunnyvale, so the street numbers can be a bit confusing.

While you're in Mountain View you might want to check out the other room there: Shoreline Billiards. They have about 30 tables and that's where Bob Jewett hangs out.

Mark

My boss told me that one of the service managers jsut bought a pool room out there.... His first name is Benton... I may know this guy! When my boss told me about it he said it was a nice place, but he couldn't remember the name. I was thinking it was probably a bar with a few table, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe the same guy?

I'm landing in SJ in the afternoon on Sunday. What time does the 9 ball tourney kick off? What's it cost to play etc?

Thanks guys.

:cool:
 

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Sunday is the open 9-ball tournament, which starts at 1pm. It's sounds like you'll be a little late for that, but there will be some good players to watch in the tournament.
 

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
ABall said:
Sunday is the open 9-ball tournament, which starts at 1pm. It's sounds like you'll be a little late for that, but there will be some good players to watch in the tournament.

Yeah, I'm flying out of Baltimore @ 8:30 landing sometime after 1.
I'm trying to find a suitcase bug enough to fit my cue case. I might just have to go the 2 rubber band route and forego the case... scratch that, just tried it and it doesnt' fit....:(
Hope they have a nice selection of house cues.

I'm probably about a C+ player. There isn't much in the way of action around here, maybe the odd race to 5 for $20, but I don't gamble too much.

Like I said I'll be there through Wed. night. It'd be cool to meet an AZ'r or 2.

:cool:
 

suckershot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:
I'm going to be in Mountain View through Wednesday on business. Are there any nice places to play in or around Mountain View?
If anyone would like to get together and hit a few racks after work, drop me a PM or respond in the thread. 8, 9, 14:1 are all good with me. I have a basic understanding of 1 pocket, banks, and rotation though I've never played them.
I'd like to play tomorrow (Sunday) night, help unwind from the 6+ hrs of flying. I don't care whether it's a 9 ft or a barbox (in decent condition) I just want to shoot a few racks and have a couple beers.

:D

I will agree with everyone who says California is a great room...lots of space, an actual kitchen, not just an oven, nice equipment. You can't go wrong here.

However, my preferred room is Shoreline Billiards, also in Mountain View, right off of Hwy. 101 on Shoreline Blvd. The equipment here is also very nice...all tables have been reclothed within the last, oh, 4-5 months or so with the Tour Blue Simonis, all ball sets have been replaced with new Super Aramith Pro TV balls in same time frame, and they also have 5 (I think that's right) big flatscreens on the walls around the room. The cons about this room are no full kitchen and not as much space as Cal.

Shoreline also has plenty of friendly faces that can definitely give you more than enough chances...plenty of C+ type players around Shoreline, including myself.:thumbup:

Really, if you have time, I'd suggest hitting both places. They're both very accessible right off of freeways.
 

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoreline

All the players at California are 'C' players too! Just ask em. :D

Shoreline does have some really well kept tables and very nice people. Definitely worth stopping by and hitting some balls.
 

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There also a Friday and Saturday night weekly tournament in downtown Sunnyvale at Lucky Shot Billiards. It's right next to Scruffy's Bar. Sometimes, they'll get ring games going for the players that get knocked out of the tourney early.

I think California Billiards, Shoreline Billiards, and Lucky Shot Billiards are the nicest placest to play in the Mountain View area. Good equipment and atmosphere.
Check out their websites for more info:
www.californiabilliardclub.com
www.shorelinebilliards.com
www.luckyshotbilliards.com
 

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Shirt

Someone is selling a new large California Billiards t_shirt in the for sale/wanted section. Perhaps you would want a memento of your trip.
 

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
Someone is selling a new large California Billiards t_shirt in the for sale/wanted section. Perhaps you would want a memento of your trip.

It turns out I do know one of the new owners of California Billiards, and I was staying at the Hilton across the street, I ended up spending my pool playing time there. I didn't get to play as much as I wanted, after work business functions took up more time than expected.

I did get to hit several racks with Ben, and as expected he showed me a thing or two. I figured he could play some since he owns the place. Hopefully next time I will present more of a challenge for him. I do have to say the room was well laid out, and the food was very good.

I asked Ben for a T or a hat and he said he hadn't had any made up yet, but assured me he'd send me one when he did.

Sorry I missed you JonDrums, I was gone before you posted.

:cool:
 

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
California Billiards

Hey, were you on one of the 'back' tables with Ben? I think I saw you. I played a little while then went over to Shoreline and shot some with Jondrums.

BTW, had a great time Jondrums. I really do enjoy straight pool. We should definitely play more. Beautiful cue too!! ~Thanks.
 

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
cyrex said:
I played a little while then went over to Shoreline and shot some with Jondrums.

Hehe, so you were the one playing Jondrums. Little did I know. I was on table #4 at the entrance.

-- peer
 

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
cyrex said:
Hey, were you on one of the 'back' tables with Ben? I think I saw you. I played a little while then went over to Shoreline and shot some with Jondrums.

BTW, had a great time Jondrums. I really do enjoy straight pool. We should definitely play more. Beautiful cue too!! ~Thanks.

We were on table 31(?). I was there for most of Sunday afternoon, and Monday night. I stopped in on Wednesday but he had too much going on to play (they had a party coming in). I hadn't seen Ben for about 10 yrs, so it was nice to catch up with him.

This trip was really on short notice for me, next time I'll know further in advance and I'll give you all more notice that I am coming. I'd like to meet all of you.

:grin:
 
Top