Flying with your cue

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever thought of taking the train? Pennsylvania to St. Lou wouldn't take that long. Or maybe drive? Way back before 9-11 security measures were imposed, Brock Yates, writing in Car & Driver magazine, made a case that it was as fast to drive for trips of 500 miles or so.
Agreed...especially as many folks are looking at a few hours' drive to airport.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Bob Jewett said, an easy option is just a rolling duffle bag, and obviously measure your cue case and make sure you get a duffle bag that is long enough for your case. Probably want to even get a duffle bag that is a couple of inches or more longer than your case in case the manufacturer's measurements or manufacturing tolerances aren't precise, and/or so the bag doesn't end up compressing too hard on the ends of your case after you pack it full of clothes and whatever. If your cues are in a hard sided cue case, or one with pvc tubes for the cues, it may not matter as much whether the duffle has a frame structure to it, but I would personally highly prefer it have some kind of a stiff frame structure to it on the bottom (and Bob's warranty suggestion would always be good in case the frame ever breaks). The link below is what they sort of look like (no idea if this one has a frame, is decent quality, or anything else, just linked to it for the picture).

As t.wallace said, some regular suitcases will fit the case diagonally which is also what I use to travel with my. As Bob already noted, most airlines have a limit of 62" for size of your suitcase when the length, width, and height are added together. But the suitcase models out there, even the ones that all add up to 62", vary in their exact dimensions. One might be 28x20x14 (adds up to 62), and another might be 32x20x10 (also 62). You want to look for the longest ones, because the longer it is, the more room there will end up being for your case to fit in there diagonally.

Also, once you find one that looks like it might work, do the math to calculate what the diagonal measurement would be preferably by using the internal measurements instead of external when you have them (this will do the math for you if needed https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-plane/rectangle.php) to verify that your cue case will indeed fit, and allow for needing at least an additional inch or two on the needed diagonal measurement if possible in case your cue case can't get all the way into the very tip corners of the suitcase due to the width of your cue case (especially with hard sided suitcases). Getting a couple of extra inches of diagonal room on top of that it is even better (to avoid possible compression on the ends of your cue case) but depending on the size of your cue case that might not happen in this style from my experience of looking around at their dimensions in the past (there aren't a ton of them out there that are going to fit your cue case diagonally at all, and fewer yet that would give you very much extra diagonal room).

Also, if you stay with the soft sided suitcase style rather than hard sided (but a good frame on the bottom is still desired) your cue case will likely fit even if the diagonal measurement is exactly the same as your cue case (or perhaps even a touch shorter than your case length but you are starting to really gamble) because your cue case will just push those corners out enough to still be able to get it jammed in there but this certainly wouldn't be preferred if you can just find one big enough without having to do that (and this may not even be a worthy last resort option depending on what kind of cue case you have and how much you care about the longevity of your suitcase or cue case). Below is a link to the soft sided style I am referring to, but again this is for picture reference only and I don't know that this particular one would fit your case.
Too many alsos.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
One could have a handle made with matching thread and joint size and call it a cane.

Still need to pack the shafts, but your prized butt will never be out of sight.

May even score an aisle seat.

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before 9/11 used to take it on board. After I bought one of these, stick my case in it and put it in my duffel bag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210108-030215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210108-030215_Samsung Internet.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 110

baalpeteor

20 years of being a road warrior who spends 125-150 nights a year in hotels (before China Flu) made me realize it just isn’t worth the hassle of traveling with a cue. Unless it’s a “disposable” cue, and then what’s the point? I usually just play off the wall, or buy a cheap sneaky pete if they sell them and then just give it away when I leave town.
+1 on sneaky pete. I learned something new!

baalpeteor

I've only wanted to take my cue with me twice while I was flying. Both times I sent my cue to my destination with UPS so I could just pick it up when I arrived. No worrying about airport handling and I tracked it the whole way.
Just make sure they are properly wrapped, or better yet get the UPS store to. I've seen what they do to packages. Amazing any make it in one piece

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I saw the title of the OP and confused it with this thread to let your CUE fly!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some advice I have never flown with my cue. I’m traveling from Pennsylvania to St.Louis with American Airlines. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

My advice for traveling with cues, buy cheap butt to work with your 2nd or 3rd favorite shaft, bring that along with you on the trip in a soft case. You will have a lot less worry about it getting lost. Unless you are going to a national event where you want your best with you. I take along a cheap Star or Lucky cue butt with an older/cheaper shaft I feel like using that week when I travel. A benefit if having most or all cues/shafts be of the same pin type, easy to swap things around. Should fit diagonally in quite a few suitcases.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly they had a list of things that were coming off the list and pool cues were one of them. unfortunately so was pen knives. Congress objected. Instead of taking that out they just left everything the same.
Last time I went I just used a predator Butterfly case. I wrapped the tips and butts with bubble wrap and put some towels down the middle to help pad it so they didn’t bang together. Put a pad lock on the case and checked it in like that. I dont play with customs any more so I wasn’t really worried about it. I could replace anything that got broken easily.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also have a three piece cue. its gone thru xray four times. Once they pulled my my bag off and said no pool cues. They let me check it
Did that require you to go back to the service counter in the main terminal and then go back through the security line? That's the sort of thing I worry about carrying anything they might object to. I usually literally don't have time for that.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did that require you to go back to the service counter in the main terminal and then go back through the security line? That's the sort of thing I worry about carrying anything they might object to. I usually literally don't have time for that.
yes it did and Delta charged me $30

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’ve flown Southwest, British Air, Swiss Air and United to to and from Mexico City and Europe numerous times and never had a problem.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s unusual. Normally they gate check for free. You got screwed.
He didn't gate check. He didn't make it through security to the gate. He went back to the check-in counter, where they charge you for luggage.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He didn't gate check. He didn't make it through security to the gate. He went back to the check-in counter, where they charge you for luggage.
I went to state school thus have questionable reading comprehension. That makes more sense. At the end of the day flying with a cue is a pain in the ass. For me it’s not worth it when you travel every week like I do. If I was going to a tournament I would just fed ex it with a shitload of insurance.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to state school thus have questionable reading comprehension. That makes more sense. At the end of the day flying with a cue is a pain in the ass. For me it’s not worth it when you travel every week like I do. If I was going to a tournament I would just fed ex it with a shitload of insurance.
That's funny. :) I think we should have some kind of pool player's association that's not one of these profit-oriented congresses, but simply an advocacy association for players, room owners, and manufacturers, who could lobby agencies like TSA and FAA, and others (admittedly low-cost lobbying). Then we could have TSA change the rules. It's unfair that you can bring a full-sized umbrella and a tennis racquet on-board, but not a cue. (I guess pool has a "bad guy" rep, and cues a bad rep as a weapon.)