For God's sake, What do these GC slates weigh?

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Three guys from the used pool table dealership just delivered my Gold Crown IV. Two of them ( the biggest two) carried in the three pieces of slate. I think the only reason why the other guy didn't help was because maybe there was no room for him, or maybe there was nothing for him to grab, or maybe because he was the boss. Anyhow, I don't speak Polish, so I don't know if all the screaming by these two guys during this ordeal was directed toward each other, or if it was a simple matter of each of them choosing to express their displeasure at their individual plight through a simultaneous blurting out of Polish curse words in a rapid fire fashion.

Whatever the case; the slates are now leaning against the wall. I grabbed both sides of one with both hands and tried to move it. Granted; I'm 5-7 and 145, but all I could do was lift one corner about 1/2 inch Off the ground.

So; what I want to know is this: Do you mechanics all work with an assistant, or two, or three. If not, how on earth do you move those damn things yourselves?

Last edited:

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A simple high quality furniture dolly and two people of average strength will work fine. You can do it with one person if you have a specialized slate dolly.

I don't understand when people try to lift a slate the entire way.... dolly's were invented a long time ago for this purpose ....you wouldn't see two guys lifting a refrigerator off the ground and carry it into the kitchen ...they use the rollers on the bottom of the fridge

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Three guys from the used pool table dealership just delivered my Gold Crown IV. Two of them ( the biggest two) carried in the three pieces of slate. I think the only reason why the other guy didn't help was because maybe there was no room for him, or maybe there was nothing for him to grab, or maybe because he was the boss. Anyhow, I don't speak Polish, so I don't know if all the screaming by these two guys during this ordeal was directed toward each other, or if it was a simple matter of each of them choosing to express their displeasure at their individual plight through a simultaneous blurting out of Polish curse words in a rapid fire fashion.

Whatever the case; the slates are now leaning against the wall. I grabbed both sides of one with both hands and tried to move it. Granted; I'm 5-7 and 145, but all I could do was lift one corner about 1/2 inch Off the ground.

So; what I want to know is this: Do you mechanics all work with an assistant, or two, or three. If not, how on earth do you move those damn things yourselves?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LcSoFCi68o
That is what we use. I use to carry 9ft slate with another person but it is so demanding on the hands and back.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
GC slate is 206lbs per piece....I weigh 280lbs...and can lift my own weight, so I use a dolly to get the slates to the door...then carry them in the rest of the way...and put them on the table by myself, and have been doing this for 30+ years:grin:

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GC slate is 206lbs per piece....I weigh 280lbs...and can lift my own weight, so I use a dolly to get the slates to the door...then carry them in the rest of the way...and put them on the table by myself, and have been doing this for 30+ years:grin:

And may you keep going for another 30+ years.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And may you keep going for another 30+ years.

aaaahhh....did I do something to you, that you would wish such a curse on me?....another 30 years of hard labor?..wow, just when I was looking to get out on parole for good time, and time served:thumbup:

JC

Coos Cues

Why did you make me help you then? My half of those slates was HEAVY for an office guy like me!

JC

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should have seen those two mechanics schlepping three GC slates upstairs to my game room yesterday. :eek: