Forced follow through

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Nonsense...The amount of cuestick that finishes past the CB has no relationship with how far you backswing. As already mentioned, pulling the tip back to your hand allows a smoother transition to the forward accelerated stroke...without grabbing the cue tight. A player's natural finish (where their tip finishes at the end of their swing) is different from player to player...based on body style, stance, and how your arm works with your body, using a pendulum stroke.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Hi Scott,

You probably meant to write "partially true, if you put extra oomph into your forward stroke with leverage, which is a bad idea to add leverage," and not "nonsense."

Scott, take three relaxed, regular paced strokes with a 1-inch bridge, then a 3-inch bridge, then an 11-inch bridge, then tell us what your follow through length was on all strokes.

Then, just to make sure we understand each other, use that 11-inch bridge for an 11-inch backstroke, stroke, then a 1-inch backstroke, then tell us the length of follow through for each of those strokes, please.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This particular forum is odd. I've participated extensively in several other forums on AZ but this is the only one where a discussion on a particular subject gets started, people make comments but then there are about zero follow up posts. Strange! I guess that cuts down on the arguing... but also the sharing of different points of view.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My natural finish is 6.5" past the front edge of the CB, regardless of my bridge length. You adjust where you hold the cue when changing bridge length. That way the finish is always the same. This would be true for any shot with at least 6.5" between CB & OB. Less than that requires a different shot (what we call finesse bridge or "close quarters" shooting.
For the huge majority of players who use a pendulum stroke, and know how to measure their bridge, the length of backswing and length of "followthrough" will never be the same.

Scott Lee

Hi Scott,

You probably meant to write "partially true, if you put extra oomph into your forward stroke with leverage, which is a bad idea to add leverage," and not "nonsense."

Scott, take three relaxed, regular paced strokes with a 1-inch bridge, then a 3-inch bridge, then an 11-inch bridge, then tell us what your follow through length was on all strokes.

Then, just to make sure we understand each other, use that 11-inch bridge for an 11-inch backstroke, stroke, then a 1-inch backstroke, then tell us the length of follow through for each of those strokes, please.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry...Absolutely, but backswing and finish length are usually not the same length. Look at Allison Fisher. Her bridge length is about 12 inches for most shots, but her natural finish is only an inch or two past the CB...and that's natural for her. :D

Scott Lee

scott isnt that the distance from ball address (assuming perpendicular forearm at set)
to finish at your pectoral muscle??

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Scott,

Matt

As we adjust our Bridge Lengths we also adjust our back hand position on the cue stick. It's not the bridge length persa, it's the perpendicular position on the cue stick.

randyg

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a fellow from Tennessee who played this game pretty good and he always used an extreme follow through and false stroked about 2-3 times with full bridge lengths before whacking the ball.
Everybody wanted to copy his style....many were very successful too.
His name was Eddie Taylor. And he robbed a lot of those New York red hots.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
My natural finish is 6.5" past the front edge of the CB, regardless of my bridge length. You adjust where you hold the cue when changing bridge length. That way the finish is always the same. This would be true for any shot with at least 6.5" between CB & OB. Less than that requires a different shot (what we call finesse bridge or "close quarters" shooting.
For the huge majority of players who use a pendulum stroke, and know how to measure their bridge, the length of backswing and length of "followthrough" will never be the same.

Scott Lee

Thank you, but you haven't addressed my comments. Taking a pure pendulum stroke with the stroking hand on the cue to match the bridge length results in what length of backstroke? A full length backstroke.