forum opinion : does gambling make you a better player ?

does playing for money make you any better

  • Yes, action is what takes your game up a notch!

    Votes: 50 72.5%
  • no not really

    Votes: 12 17.4%
  • on the fence, can make a case either way

    Votes: 7 10.1%

  • Total voters
    69

Cannonball55

This is cool
Silver Member
Hi,

for almost as long as i have been able to pick up a pool cue i have always heard that if u play for something, then it conditions u to "play better" . Of course that is the usual spiel that a shark gives to a fish just to try and steal a little something . It took me about 6mos ( and a few hundred ) to realize that i had to work on my game 1st before i could even think about playing anyone for money ( no matter what the spot ) . In my opinion, the ole premise that "action breeds champions" only applies when and only when a player has reached a certain level of skill .

I do know that when there is something on the line, there is a greater need to maintain your level of concentration and typically those that gamble are also those that play good . I have learned the benefits of playing for money, but i did so when and only when i developed my game on my own ....

what are your thoughts az, does palying for money ( in and of itself ) help make u a better player ? or is it a culmination of hard practice, applied knowledge and dedication ?
 
Last edited:
I am of the opinion that gambling does make you a better, or at least more consistant, player. No amount of practicing can condition someone to "taking the heat" that you feel when nervous, either in a tourney, gambling, etc. Plus, most people remember why their wallets(or purses) are lighter or heavier. I really feel that you take alot away from it, but obviously do not condone gambling above your means(unless it's with me, and I am stealing, lol).
 
Cannonball55 said:
Hi,

for almost as long as i habe been able to pick up a pool cue i have always heard that if u play for something, then it conditions u to "play better" . Of course that is the usual spiel that a shark gives to a fish just to try and steal a little something . It took me about 6mos ( and a few hundred ) to realize that i had to work on my game 1st before i could even think about playing anyone for money ( no matter what the spot ) . In my opinion, the ole premise that "action breeds champions" only applies when and only when a player has reached a certain level of skill .

I do know that when there is something on the line, there is a greater need to maintain your level of concentration and typically those that gamble are also those that play good . I have learned the benefits of playing for money, but i did so when and only when i developed my game on my own ....

what are your thoughts az, does palying for money ( in and of itself ) help make u a better player ? or is it a culmination of hard practice, applied knowledge and dedication ?

Yes it does, this subject has come up here over and over again. The proof is all the pros came up gambling, none of those guys are the type who just played for fun. Gambling will make you a better player, but not by itself, you have to do all the other things you mentioned too. Gambling is just a tool to keep you sharp.
 
It's not so much the money. The money is motivation (like a reward) to play better.

Consider this, if you are playing, and the loser gets there hands chopped off.........I think you are going to do whatever it takes to win.

If you don't value money, then you won't care if you lose, and you'll play poorly.

It's nice to get a reward for playing well. That is why money games are popular.

It's even gambling if it's a 50/50 chance of win or lose. It's hustling when you have the odds so much in your favor, that your opponent doesn't stand a chance.
That's why determining the handicap is so important. I've seen guys determining the handicap aka adjustment for hours, and then....winde up, not even playing.
 
Last edited:
I hate gambling, fun is so much more fun !!!!

Smorgass Bored said:
And I wish I could remember how I answered the last 63 times.

Doug

Didn't we just have a 60 post thread on this last week ? I remember Smorg saying, he never gambled unless he had the "butt's. (or was it the nut's ?) Some part of the anatomy, I think. :eek:

Dick
 
I Likes Me Some Voting

Hello, my name is Doug and I'm a compulsive Voter.
I just cant help myself. I have no willpower.
I'm going to vote NOW....dammit !

Doug
 
Yeah, this one just went through here about 2 months back.

My opinion, no, gambling isn't necessary to become a good player.
MULLY
 
well . . .

okinawa77 said:
How about the watermelon sneeze?

The watermelon sneeze is OK but until you have tried a sneeze with a mouth full of grapefruit you are just a wannabe1 :D :D :D

Hu
 
TXsouthpaw said:
it definetly helps. but u know what the nongamblers are gonna say.


It doesn't necessarily help, but you know what the gamblers are gonna say.
MULLY
it's a 2 way street
 
mullyman said:
It doesn't necessarily help, but you know what the gamblers are gonna say.
MULLY
it's a 2 way street


try telling bartram it doesnt help. how do u think he got good under pressure ? hes playing stevie moore for 10k, but i guess all those tourneys hes won have helped him prepare for this, Not all the big money matches hes played. and i guess all the old road dogs were doing it wrong too?


I guess playing your freinds for "fun" is the only way to become a champion.


and btw that was a very well thought out argument, that ranks right up their with "i know you are but what am I"
 
Last edited:
depends on your goals

There is some crossover of benefits between gambling, tournaments, and of course practice. However, if you want to be a better gambler, gamble every chance you get and make more chances for yourself. You will either become gambler or a bum, a fair chance both!

If you want to be a tournament player, get into every tournament you can get into large and small. This will make you a stronger tournament player faster than gambling will. Of course with today's purses and the time you spend practicing for tournaments and traveling to them you'll probably become a strong tournament player and a bum!

More seriously, I found that gambling put very little pressure on me. I was thousands to the good and even if I lost this match-up I could find another one a little later or down the road and recoup and then some. If you manage your money well you can be a successful gambler losing more games and matches than you win. To win tournaments you have to win a very high percentage of your matches. Any doubt which is harder?

Hu
 
If you aspire to compete well in matches or tournaments, then I believe gambling will help you inasmuch as it forces you to make shots that count for something as opposed to banging the balls around in meaningless social games. However, I know a lot of players who are quite impressive when they are playing for nothing who do not benefit at all from gambling. They consistently miss shots that they would otherwise make. It's pitiful. These people shouldn't gamble and they should limit their playing to Tuesday nights at the Moose Club.
 
Oh no, not this topic again.

Give me the best tournament player in history and the best money player in history and match them up. Put a Glock 26 in the hand of the ref and tell the players the loser get his brains blown out.

I'm eating popcorn and a slurpie on the rail, going all-in on the gambler until the bullet's fired.

Dave
 
We will miss Efren

We will miss Efren. Playing himself he is a dead sucker either way! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hu



SpiderWebComm said:
Oh no, not this topic again.

Give me the best tournament player in history and the best money player in history and match them up. Put a Glock 26 in the hand of the ref and tell the players the loser get his brains blown out.

I'm eating popcorn and a slurpie on the rail, going all-in on the gambler until the bullet's fired.

Dave
 
I definatly think gambling improves ones game. The comment on a shark giving this advise to a fish is true but the question is how dumb is the fish. I myself am just a decent player... shortstop at the most and someone who does not have a lot of money. I do however like to gamble and ALWAYS set my limits for what I can afford if I lose. My suggestion when gambling if you are not an advanced player is to find people of your skill level and make a game. Get that heart beating in good competition that both players have a chance to win. As your game progresses and you get use to the pressure more get your feet wet with better players. Just don't be stupid and lose your rent money if you are a working man.
 
Back
Top