Forward balance or rear balanced?

CeaseLess

Interesting no one has asked, what is considered rear/neutral/forward?
IMO
Rear balanced is anything less than 18"
Neutral is 18-20"
Forward is greater than 20"

I'm in the neutral camp. Rear balance cues make me feel like the tip of the cue is always coming up off my bridge. Forward balanced gives me no feel.

My .02, fyi, no refunds
Great point.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are correct you were not asking for recommendations so i corrected my post
its even more ridiculous you were asking the AZB members to tell YOU why something feels good to YOU
maybe a psychiatrist could answer that for you but only you can know why if you prefer blondes or redheads...vanilla or chocolate ice cream etc .......you get the drift
how the hell can someone else get inside your head
jmho
for the record
i am not a kid
and probably have you beat in age by 30 years

You ok? You've been in rare form lately.

CeaseLess

But if you grip the cue behind the balance point does the balance point really matter? I grip my cue with 2 fingers on the wrap and 2 fingers behind the wrap, the seam is in the middle of my hand.
For me it makes a difference. The further forward it is it feels like the extra weight forces me to have to steer my stroke more and further back it feels more free.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Are you joking? He came here to have a conversation and was treated like shit so he responded in kind.
His reply to a 70-year-old professional. "I wasn't asking for recommendations kid."

Then, when he gets called out, he doubles down with the disrespect! "Take a nap grandpa."

Larry AKA (BBB) is most likely one of the nicest guys on this or any forum. And most likely forgot More than this egg ever knew.

The joke is You defending this bird.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His reply to a 70-year-old professional. "I wasn't asking for recommendations kid."

Then, when he gets called out, he doubles down with the disrespect! "Take a nap grandpa."

Larry AKA (BBB) is most likely one of the nicest guys on this or any forum. And most likely forgot More than his egg ever knew.

The joke is You defending this bird.

You conveniently left out post #4. It's not like BBB came in and said, "hey, that's a personal preference thing and here's what I like". Nope, he came in with a holier than thou attitude and received an appropriate response.

And yep, I respect BBB, hence I didn't attack him in my reply to him, I asked if he was ok because if you pay attention to his posts recently, he seems a bit agitated and has been lashing out more than I remember ;)

I also respect you, therefore, I will not say anything derogatory towards you.

Treat others how you want to be treated.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
You conveniently left out post #4. It's not like BBB came in and said, "hey, that's a personal preference thing and here's what I like". Nope, he came in with a holier than thou attitude and received an appropriate response.

And yep, I respect BBB, hence I didn't attack him in my reply to him, I asked if he was ok because if you pay attention to his posts recently, he seems a bit agitated and has been lashing out more than I remember ;)

That's exactly what I did!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

chili
i am getting alittle cantankerous in my old age.
threads like what tip should i put on my xyz shaft
and why do i like a certain balance point
to me are ridiculous threads
no one can tell you whats best for you
ONLY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is this a shocking revelation?
askin for a friend....:unsure:
EDIT
it was pointed out by the op
that he was not looking for recommendations
but wants some one else to tell him why he feels a certain way
so let me change my post to this
no one can tell you why something feels better to you
ONLY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

askin for a friend....:unsure:
as you see above
my first reply was this
no one can tell you whats best for you
askin for a friend..

my only capitalization is to emphasize that only the op knows why he likes it

i dont think my post was holier than thou or really disrespectful
i just stated my point of view and emphasized the important parts
my response to the ops reply also was not disrespectful or calling him any names
i just corrected his snide remark calling me "kid"
that i wasnt a kid
his childish reply of "take a nap grandpa" i laughed at if you look below his post
i took it for what it was.............. a childish response
and did not pursue it with a retort as it wasnt/isnt worth my time.
i appreciate your concern for my well being.....(y)(y)(and i mean that sincerely )

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never gave a thought to the balance point . Play with any cue long enough you will adapt . I had a Prather that was very nose heavy ,just felt odd to me .
Chuckg

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
After 4 back fusions including a recent 9 Vertebrae lower back fusion I like an equally balanced cue also if I had a big stroke I would want to play with a forward weighted cue.
It has been my experience that a good playing cue is a good player no matter how it is balanced.

The actual balance point measuring ritual is for a couple guys sitting around the pool hall with no action so they start measuring the balance point on their player.
The actual balance point as measured with a cue teetering on your finger has little to do with cue selection

CeaseLess

Are you joking? He came here to have a conversation and was treated like shit so he responded in kind.
Thank you. I did not initially come into the conversation intending to disrespect anyone. I was simply looking for scientific or anecdotal evidence on something I don't really have any insight on.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's a typical Keyboard Koward.

So, he didn't treat you like shit? BBB overreacted in his initial post, got called out for it, then you jumped on the band wagon?

Again, treat others how you want to be treated. Frankly, it's these types of threads who keep new people from coming on here and sharing their experiences. If I had a penny for every "what size tire fits on my Jeep", or "How much horsepower do I gain from swapping air filters on my Mustang" I've seen then I'd be rich. There are newbies in every world, just because they don't know how to search when they first get on forums doesn't mean they need to be treated like shit.

I'll end with that. Again, I respect you and read your posts often, no reason for us to go at it. Enjoy your day.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And response to the original question, my preferred BP is 18" with a cue around 18oz. I can play with a more rear balanced cue and it doesn't affect me too much. If I have a light cue it can be further forward, if I have a heavier cue it can be back a little bit - as long as the weight on my bridge hand is good it doesn't bother me too much but if the cue is too heavy then it affects my play as I play with a stroke slip and I will overpower my shots with a heavier cue.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I shoot open bridge more than not, so I prefer the front-balanced Joss. But it is definitely a person thing. Try both for a day or two, you'll figure it out!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, he didn't treat you like shit? BBB overreacted in his initial post, got called out for it, then you jumped on the band wagon?

Again, treat others how you want to be treated. Frankly, it's these types of threads who keep new people from coming on here and sharing their experiences. If I had a penny for every "what size tire fits on my Jeep", or "How much horsepower do I gain from swapping air filters on my Mustang" I've seen then I'd be rich. There are newbies in every world, just because they don't know how to search when they first get on forums doesn't mean they need to be treated like shit.

I'll end with that. Again, I respect you and read your posts often, no reason for us to go at it. Enjoy your day.
i am sorry to continue this
but i do not think i over reacted
can anyone really tell someone else why they prefer one thing over another??
the op can get the pros and cons of rear vs forward weighted cues
but does that really answer the question why HE likes it?
i will say it again
only he knows why
the rest is purely conjecture
no bold type /no capital letters
is that better?