Forward balance or rear balanced?

CeaseLess

I've always naturally preferred a more rear balanced cue. I never thought about it at first but started to wonder why I liked some bar cues more than others when i first started playing. After measuring a wall cue I liked I saw that about 15 inches from the rear is the balance i like. But i still am not completely sure why. I feel its because the closer to your grip hand the balance is, the lighter the cue feels. And I like a light cue. Any other ideas on why it just feels better to me?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned both and prefer neutral-to-forward myself. That being said my current set-up uses a 3" cf extension so its more rear weighted and i'm ok with it. Go with whatever you like.

Last edited:

CeaseLess

I've owned both and prefer neutral-to-forward myself. That being said my current set-up uses a 3" cf extension so its more rear weighted and i'm ok with it. Go with whatever you like.
The balance on my Jacoby is about 19½ inches from the rear, too forward for my taste. I just ordered a 3.4 ounce carbon fiber shaft and 3 inch CF extension. I'm hoping this drops it back to about 15 inches. Fingers crossed.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always naturally preferred a more rear balanced cue. I never thought about it at first but started to wonder why I liked some bar cues more than others when i first started playing. After measuring a wall cue I liked I saw that about 15 inches from the rear is the balance i like. But i still am not completely sure why. I feel its because the closer to your grip hand the balance is, the lighter the cue feels. And I like a light cue. Any other ideas on why it just feels better to me?
no one can tell you whats best for you
ONLY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is this a shocking revelation?
askin for a friend....:unsure:
EDIT
it was pointed out by the op
that he was not looking for recommendations
but wants some one else to tell him why he feels a certain way
so let me change my post to this
no one can tell you why something feels better to you
ONLY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
no one can tell you why something feels better to you

I wasn't asking for recommendations kid.
you are correct you were not asking for recommendations so i corrected my post
its even more ridiculous you were asking the AZB members to tell YOU why something feels good to YOU
maybe a psychiatrist could answer that for you but only you can know why if you prefer blondes or redheads...vanilla or chocolate ice cream etc .......you get the drift
how the hell can someone else get inside your head
jmho
for the record
i am not a kid
and probably have you beat in age by 30 years

Last edited:

CeaseLess

I prefer a 19.25"-19.5" balance point for my player. For me, a forward balanced cue seems to move the cue ball with less effort.
I also feel that but with my 19.5 balance it feels like I have to push the cue instead of it just gliding to where i want with more of a rear balance, but I definitely see why some people prefer it more forward, seems to keep your stroke straighter.

CeaseLess

you are correct you were not asking for recommendations so i corrected my post
its even more ridiculous you were asking the AZB members to tell YOU why something feels good to YOU
maybe a psychiatrist could answer that for you but only you can know why if you prefer blondes or redheads...vanilla or chocolate ice cream etc .......you get the drift
how the hell can someone else get inside your head
jmho
for the record
i am not a kid
and probably have you beat in age by 30 years
Take a nap grandpa

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to take a wild guess that you're a tall person?

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also feel that but with my 19.5 balance it feels like I have to push the cue instead of it just gliding to where i want with more of a rear balance, but I definitely see why some people prefer it more forward, seems to keep your stroke straighter.

Yep, I prefer a forward balance and can immediately tell when my stroke is off.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a very strong preference for a forward balance, 19-19.5” is perfect for my tastes. Just feels right to me

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I’d say there are more rear balanced cues out there I don’t think I’ve played with more than a handful of forward ones, just one break cue I even remember and it’s so different from what’s standard

No benefits whatsoever in ball making either way I’d say

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Interesting no one has asked, what is considered rear/neutral/forward?
IMO
Rear balanced is anything less than 18"
Neutral is 18-20"
Forward is greater than 20"

I'm in the neutral camp. Rear balance cues make me feel like the tip of the cue is always coming up off my bridge. Forward balanced gives me no feel.

My .02, fyi, no refunds

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Interesting no one has asked, what is considered rear/neutral/forward?
IMO
Rear balanced is anything less than 18"
Neutral is 18-20"
Forward is greater than 20"

I'm in the neutral camp. Rear balance cues make me feel like the tip of the cue is always coming up off my bridge. Forward balanced gives me no feel.

My .02, fyi, no refunds
But if you grip the cue behind the balance point does the balance point really matter? I grip my cue with 2 fingers on the wrap and 2 fingers behind the wrap, the seam is in the middle of my hand.

Texas3cushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But if you grip the cue behind the balance point does the balance point really matter? I grip my cue with 2 fingers on the wrap and 2 fingers behind the wrap, the seam is in the middle of my hand.
Depends on if you ever adjust your playing hand a lot or not.

I adjust mine often depending on required bridge length for shot.